Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:51 PM   #1
jrs22
macrumors regular

Advice Please: I need to install Microsoft Windows on my MBP

I have a 2012 MBP with 8GB of Ram. I also have Parallels 8 installed - I got it for free when I bought my MBP from B&H. Anyway, now I need to install Windows so I can run Microsoft Access, and i need to decide which version I should buy, Windows 7 or Windows 8, and if I should get the OEM version or the regular retail version. Also, 64 bit or 32 bit.

Any advice from people who've done this recently? I need to make the purchase in a few days. If it matters, I'll be installing Microsoft Office 2010.
jrs22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Swiss-G
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs22 View Post
I have a 2012 MBP with 8GB of Ram. I also have Parallels 8 installed - I got it for free when I bought my MBP from B&H. Anyway, now I need to install Windows so I can run Microsoft Access, and i need to decide which version I should buy, Windows 7 or Windows 8, and if I should get the OEM version or the regular retail version. Also, 64 bit or 32 bit.

Any advice from people who've done this recently? I need to make the purchase in a few days. If it matters, I'll be installing Microsoft Office 2010.
Parallels 8 will run both Windows 7 & 8. However, I would recommend Windows 7 either 32 bit or 64 bit.
Swiss-G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:47 PM   #3
chrise2
macrumors regular

It doesn't really matter if you're only going to be using one program. I would do Windows 8 x64 if you're only running Access. But if there are other applications you want to run, Windows 7 x64 might be your best bet for compatibility. As far as OEM or retail, you're only supposed to get OEM with the purchase of hardware. There's also the different editions of Windows (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) Home Premium is fine unless you plan to join it to a corporate domain, then go with Professional.
chrise2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:39 PM   #4
jrs22
macrumors regular

I'll probably be using most of the Office programs rather than buying Apple versions. Also, there's at least one game I want to buy that is only available for Windows. To summarize, I need to run one program now but I want to be prepared for more later.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:40 PM   #5
blueroom
macrumors 603

Install Windows 7 x 64 via BootCamp, Parallels will see it and run it virtually and BootCamp will be good for gaming.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'll probably be using most of the Office programs rather than buying Apple versions. Also, there's at least one game I want to buy that is only available for Windows. To summarize, I need to run one program now but I want to be prepared for more later.
Windows 8 doesn't offer any advantages over windows 7, just headaches.

Get windows 7 x64 pro for $99 on sale and be done with it. Parralells can also boot into a windows 7 partition so you can use you windows 7 inside of mac with around a 30%-50% performance hit, which is very usable for a powerhouse like a MBP. If you need the power you can just boot into windows.

I'm running windows 7 on my macbook retina but I'm booting into the native OS because I always need the power. You should be able to just run the partition (simultaneous boot in other words) in parallels for access no problem.
Radiating is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
, Windows 7 or Windows 8, and if I should get the OEM version or the regular retail version. Also, 64 bit or 32 bit.
Windows 7 Professional 64Bit.

As a FYI, a Windows OEM license isn't legal to purchase on it's own, they're only available to manufacturers/integrators and are by license agreement not transferable off the hardware they're delivered with. Hence their very name: Original Equipment Manufacturer
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:44 PM   #8
robvas
macrumors 68000

VirtualBox + Windows works for me.
robvas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:10 AM   #9
jrs22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Windows 7 Professional 64Bit.

As a FYI, a Windows OEM license isn't legal to purchase on it's own, they're only available to manufacturers/integrators and are by license agreement not transferable off the hardware they're delivered with. Hence their very name: Original Equipment Manufacturer
I assumed it was ok because it's sold on sites like amazon and b&h. My copy of office might check for a legal copy of windows and not run, so I won't chance it.

Under what circumstances could someone buy it from amazon and use it legally?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
Windows 8 doesn't offer any advantages over windows 7, just headaches.

Get windows 7 x64 pro for $99 on sale and be done with it.
I've been looking around but can't find a price like that. Did your have a specific vendor in mind?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Freyqq
macrumors 68030

Both win8 and win7 are fine. If you think you'll miss the start menu too much, get win 7. If you're willing to try something different, get win 8. Win 8 is much cheaper though..at least for an upgrade copy. MS will likely support both for years, so it's really a non-issue.
Freyqq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Swiss-G
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvas View Post
VirtualBox + Windows works for me.
Maybe but the OP already has Parallels 8 installed.
Swiss-G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:55 PM   #12
jrs22
macrumors regular

I took a chance on the OEM version of Windows 8 (64 bit) and according to the text on the envelope my use is legal. It states that if you are installing this product on a PC for personal use one acceptable use is as an additional OS running in either a local virtual machine or in a separate partition. Maybe Microsoft changed the OEM terms when they released Windows 8.

I installed it to run with Parallels Desktop 8 and then downloaded and installed my copy of Microsoft Office Professional 2010 so i can do a project in Access.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:04 AM   #13
neotech
macrumors newbie

Have you tried windows 7 or weindows 8? Windows8 is different and takes getting use to. I personally only like windows8 on a touch screen. Cant wait to get lenovo's 27inch touch screen table top. As for a macbook, id stick with win7. Thats what I have installed. OSX ML and Win7 on bootcamp. U can install win8 on the parallel virtual machine in OSX. Yes, id stick with 64bit win7 os.
good luck
calvin
neotech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:47 AM   #14
iVikD
macrumors regular

I prefer (and use) Windows 8 over Win7 (x64 of course). For starters, Windows 8 IS an upgraded version of 7, and in my experience using a wide variety of programs, from Office to development tools, and even games and overclocking, Win8 does excellently. Sure, there might be a few compatibility issues, but I haven't run into any gamebreakers. Another thing to keep in mind is that the RAM requirements for Win8 are lower than Win7, so it's perfect for a virtual machine.
If you're gonna be using it for Microsoft software (Office, Access) you won't have any problem at all. There's still Win7 diehards (remind me of the XP ones), and sure, the UI has been redesigned and might take getting used to, but it's definitely a positive upgrade. However, I do agree with the one poster who said it's wonderful on a touch screen.
iVikD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:03 AM   #15
xShane
macrumors 6502a

I've heard a lot of bad things and how horrible Windows 8 is (from people I know in real life that have actually used it).

Stick with Windows 7 (Home Premium is the cheapest).

Legally, I don't think you're supposed to purchase OEM copies unless you're a computer builder installing it to sell your computer.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:06 AM   #16
blueroom
macrumors 603

Yep.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:47 PM   #17
GoSooners
macrumors member

Get Windows 64-bit!! I'm running Boot Camp 5.0 and it won't accept 32-bit Windows =(
GoSooners is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:32 PM   #18
jrs22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
I've heard a lot of bad things and how horrible Windows 8 is (from people I know in real life that have actually used it).

Stick with Windows 7 (Home Premium is the cheapest).

Legally, I don't think you're supposed to purchase OEM copies unless you're a computer builder installing it to sell your computer.
According to the license which is printed on the envelope in which the Windows 8 DVD arrived it IS legal to install the OEM version on a non-windows machine for personal use. I posted the actual text in an earlier post.

I'm running it in a Parallels 8 VM with no problems.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:06 PM   #19
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
According to the license which is printed on the envelope in which the Windows 8 DVD arrived it IS legal to install the OEM version on a non-windows machine for personal use. I posted the actual text in an earlier post.

I'm running it in a Parallels 8 VM with no problems.
That's not what I said. OEM is for system builders that are selling computers. It is NOT for people looking to buy a copy of Windows for their own personal use. It has nothing to do with "non-Windows machines".

Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:55 AM   #20
jrs22
macrumors regular

Quote:
That's not what I said. OEM is for system builders that are selling computers. It is NOT for people looking to buy a copy of Windows for their own personal use. It has nothing to do with "non-Windows machines".
That's what is commonly posted but it's not what the Microsoft license states. I purchased an ordinary copy on line and the license on my copy states that it is legal for personal use if installed on a personal computer that does not already have a copy of windows on it. Do you actually own a recently purchased copy that states otherwise?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:17 PM   #21
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That's what is commonly posted but it's not what the Microsoft license states. I purchased an ordinary copy on line and the license on my copy states that it is legal for personal use if installed on a personal computer that does not already have a copy of windows on it. Do you actually own a recently purchased copy that states otherwise?
It depends on the copy. Windows 7 OEM can NOT be used for personal use, whereas Windows 8 OEM *can*.

My bad, I wasn't aware you purchased a Windows 8 OEM. I must have skipped over that part.

Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:42 PM   #22
jrs22
macrumors regular

Quote:
It depends on the copy. Windows 7 OEM can NOT be used for personal use, whereas Windows 8 OEM *can*.

My bad, I wasn't aware you purchased a Windows 8 OEM. I must have skipped over that part.
Interesting - the license text was preprinted on a generic cardboard Microsoft disk holder and then the win8 sticker was added. It was printed specifically for win8. Maybe they've changed their policy.

Now I'm extra happy that I went with win8 - when I installed Office 2010 maybe somehow when it checked for a legal windows install it would have rejected an OEM win7. I'm not being paranoid - on my PC Microsoft would check for a legal copy of windows before updated software. I'll never know because win8 is working fine for me so I have no reason to change.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac