Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1
AntonisCy
macrumors regular

did you guys get a notification badge on the "Settings" icon?

when 5.1 came out?

i remember when 5.0 was announced they showed a notification badge on the settings icon whenever there was an update software, but whenever there is i have never seen it on my iphone or ipad
AntonisCy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

No setting badge - As soon as I knew 5.1 was live, I went to settings > updates and there it was. Maybe it didn't have enough time?
Arelunde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:50 AM   #3
b-rad g
macrumors 6502a

I did not get the badge probably because I went to Settings>Software Update before it received the update. But my wife got the badge yesterday evening on her 4S.
b-rad g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:15 AM   #4
AntonisCy
macrumors regular

havent updated yet and still no badge..
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Steve28
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonisCy View Post
I think it only checks like once a week or so...
Steve28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:54 AM   #6
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve28 View Post
I think it only checks like once a week or so...
Yeah, maybe as often as iTunes checks it, which is a week i think
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:00 PM   #7
smithrh
macrumors 68000

I saw one briefly.

I had started the upgrade on my iPad (first gen) without being plugged in. However before it commits the upgrade it will bail out if you have less than 50% battery or are plugged in.

I plugged in, and there was a badge on Settings.

Cool!
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:09 PM   #8
b-rad g
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonisCy View Post
Are you waiting specifically to get a badge to update? Why not just go in Settings and have it find it and then go ahead and update?
b-rad g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:20 PM   #9
AntonisCy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad g View Post
Are you waiting specifically to get a badge to update? Why not just go in Settings and have it find it and then go ahead and update?
call it ocd, i just like it when things work as they should. no im not waiting for the badge i have already updated
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:58 AM   #10
iloveiphone4
macrumors member

I noticed the same thing as OP... this is what happened in 5.0, when 5.0.1 was out, settings showed a notification badge as soon as you checked for the update. So if you tried checking for update and didnt actually download the update, the notification badge was still seen.

When 5.1 update came out, I checked for the update but didnt download the update, the notification badge on the settings icon didnt show up. After I downloaded the update, but didnt update(because battery was too low), the notification badge was shown once again.

I guess thats one of the changes in the settings notification badge display or a bug, who knows...
iloveiphone4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:38 AM   #11
lironl
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveiphone4 View Post
I noticed the same thing as OP... this is what happened in 5.0, when 5.0.1 was out, settings showed a notification badge as soon as you checked for the update. So if you tried checking for update and didnt actually download the update, the notification badge was still seen.

When 5.1 update came out, I checked for the update but didnt download the update, the notification badge on the settings icon didnt show up. After I downloaded the update, but didnt update(because battery was too low), the notification badge was shown once again.

I guess thats one of the changes in the settings notification badge display or a bug, who knows...
This is what I get, BUT other people do get the badge without manually downloading the update.

When I got a new iPhone recently, the badge icon appeared automatically on Settings. However, after I restored my old iPhone's contents to the new iPhone, the badge icon was no longer there.
lironl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:31 AM   #12
SprSynJn

I never wait until it shows. I immediately plug my iOS device into iTunes and manually update. It did show on my father-in-laws iPhone 5 when 6.0.2 was released though, if that helps.
SprSynJn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier