Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
As a computer tech I find it useful to have an optical drive I am shocked to hear that people will still be willing to fork out a lot of money for a laptop that has no optical drive or ethernet drive and is not user servicable? Dont give me crap oh you can buy external drives, you cant take that stuff with you everywhere. Makes me think to start charging more to fix pcs with no optical drives cause it makes me waste my time fixing them.

The optical drive is going away. When is the last time anyone has loaded software with a CD? I'm sure that the major software packages such as Office are available as a download. And as Steve Jobs once said, Apple doesn't support legacy technology. They like to embrace new technology in full.

And look at it another way. Design always has tradeoffs. The new 13'' rMBP is thinner and lighter. It's easier for people to carry around. But to have that enhanced portability, user-serviceability has to be sacrificed because user serviceability requires moving parts. Moving parts add weight.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
The optical drive is going away. When is the last time anyone has loaded software with a CD? I'm sure that the major software packages such as Office are available as a download. And as Steve Jobs once said, Apple doesn't support legacy technology. They like to embrace new technology in full.

And look at it another way. Design always has tradeoffs. The new 13'' rMBP is thinner and lighter. It's easier for people to carry around. But to have that enhanced portability, user-serviceability has to be sacrificed because user serviceability requires moving parts. Moving parts add weight.

Saturday I needed to burn a couple of cds to fix someones computer, the trade offs dont justify the high price.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
So I can use my iPhone with ease, but with an iPad Mini i'd struggle?

Sir, you are indeed a troll.

Obviously you didn't get it. I was referring to Steve Jobs. He literally said it himself. He said 7inchers are DOA (dead on arrival) and that 10inch is the absolute minimum. So you are calling Steve Jobs a troll?

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
Before I comment just realize i'm not an Android fanboy trolling. I have had an imac, 3 macbook pros, the ipad 2, iphone 4, and iphone 5.

My concern is that Apple is taking advantage of their fanboys that don't know anything about computers and convincing them to buy these pieces of **** lately. They know that if the fanboys watch their keynotes and videos that they'll be convinced to buy anything with the Apple logo on it. I'm starting to agree with a lot of points that the windows users & mac haters have. Most of them make sense and it's very sad.

I just don't understand their target audience for their recent products and I don't understand how they expect to make big return on these products unless idiots are buying them and if that was their plan all along. The numbers don't add up, it doesn't make sense.

TLDR: I'm embarrassed to own apple products now.

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Thats it. Apple has officially gone downhill.

Take away the hi-res display of the rmbp13 and you got something that more expensive, larger, heavier and less performance than the MBA13 (rmbp15 is already struggling at times). How is this a good product?

Then the ipad mini. Are you kidding me? You need to sandpaper your fingers to use that thing. Its doa, more expensive than the nexus 7 and with less specs.

Apple are really trying to extract as much $$ from their customers as people while they still popular. What happened to Steve Jobs philosophy.

Oh my god stop it with this "sky is falling" crap. Apple is going to make a ton of money on the ipad mini.... the 13" MBP will still be their most popular laptop and they will be profitable for many many many years to come. They have not gone downhill, and they won't go downhill for a very long time.... Get over it, just because they didnt price the iPad Mini in your range doesnt mean the company is doomed...... And to say the ipad Mini is DOA is absurd, they are going to sell them as fast as they can make them.

Do I agree with everything Apple does? NO.... But any fool could see that their products are super popular and of high quality and sell like hotcakes. They are practically printing money in Cupertino.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
The optical drive is going away. When is the last time anyone has loaded software with a CD?

Try Monday. We rented a piece of equipment at work.
Program was on a CD. At the consumer level I would say you are right. At the business level they are still used.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I hate to be one of those guys, but I do have those Scully years fears creeping in. I have a lot to say, but this guy sums it up as well as I can...

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2012/20121023_1-MacBookPro-Retina-13.html

Plus a non-upgradeable small iMac, soldered ram, overpriced "fusion" and ssd, and its not a pretty picture. I'm going to snag a second hand Mac Pro near the announcement for whatever they do with that thing just to lock in a good nearterm future

This.

I'll be doing the same but will make sure whichever Mac Pro I buy will be 10.6.8 compatible as 10.7 and 10.8 are a total disaster. Too bad Apple doesn't give a damn about its customers who do more than just send pictures to their grandma and look cool at starbucks. Whatever the hell happened to Apple catering to professionals?!

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
This.

I'll be doing the same but will make sure whichever Mac Pro I buy will be 10.6.8 compatible as 10.7 and 10.8 are a total disaster. Too bad Apple doesn't give a damn about its customers who do more than just send pictures to their grandma and look cool at starbucks. Whatever the hell happened to Apple catering to professionals?!
I am using a 2011 13 inch MBP running 10.6, and I see no compelling reason for me to upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8. Seems to be that all the features are targeted at consumer level.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
This.

This is a good point, but one I'm fuzzy on. Having bootable cloned my Snow Leopard work MBP 17 and our family 2009 iMac, I jumped in to upgrade to see for myself how things are.

I know how stable 10.6.8 is, but I haven't seen performance hits on ML, just lots of design clunk (which Mountain Tweaks can fix some of). So I skipped the dual boot I was thinking of, thinking I can go back if I need.

Are there any Mac Pros that would be unable to run Snow Leopard for hardware reasons yet? I assume an update in the next year might, but I don't really understand how backwards compatibility for OS works. I've got the physical disk for SL.

As for Apple, its not that the sky is falling, just depressing that the margins on the admittedly beautiful looking designed consumer boxes are much higher than on a solid Land Cruiser of a Mac Pro. For years I only saw Mac Pros in post houses, but I see more people looking at HP workstations then I ever did before.

That being said, I must be some kind of nerd to find one exciting thing in that product announcement - that Mac Mini is a glimmer of light

Last edited:

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I was pretty disappointed with the event. Apple is making very poor decisions. Overpriced 4:3 7.9" iPad? What market does that even fit into? It should have been 7" 16:9 for $250. ($299 Max) 16:9 is already being used for the iPhone 5, so it wouldn't be too much of a change for developers.

The new 21.5" iMac is ridiculous, with no upgradable RAM or optical drive. Sure, you can get an external optical drive, but the main problem is Apple's extreme attraction to making things way too thin. Making the iOS devices thinner is useful as you take these products with you everywhere, but a desktop?!! If they had upgraded the Mac Pro, that would have been better because there still would have been a high-end desktop. Now all Apple has is a mid-tier "desktop."

Also, the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro only having integrated graphics and no discrete GPU is another poor decision. The event seemed to be full of just ridiculous things. And no iTunes 11 release?! That was the only thing I was looking forward to near the end of the event. I was hoping for a more radical update of iBooks 3 and iBooks Author.

The iPhone 5 is impressive, but the iPad Mini and the iMac seem somewhat useless. I'm hoping that Apple will release a quad-core i7 Extreme Mac Pro with 16 GB of RAM for $1600, but that is a pipe dream. That would really disrupt the desktop market if Apple created a high-mid tier upgradable tower.

The only thing that was announced that I liked was the iPad 4. It brings consistency across the iOS line with the Lightning port and the A6X packs a lot of power. The FaceTime HD Camera should have been in the iPad 3, but at least it made it to the 4th generation.

However, the iPhone and iPod event was good. The iPhone 5 is great, and the so-called "issues" are exaggerated just like Antennagate. The iPhone 5 is the best phone on the market, and the iPad 4 is the best post-PC tablet. The iPad Mini is not very good as a small tablet as it is stuck between post-PC tablet and reading tablet. The new iPods are excellent, especially the iPod Touch 5th generation. There is still a good market for the iPod Touch because many younger kids can't get an iPhone yet. The only problem is that it starts at $299 now because they dropped the 16 GB. The 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro is awesome, but the 13-inch fails to impress with integrated graphics.

Overall, I think Apple could improve in the Mac area right now. Introducing a redesigned Mac Pro would be a huge step in that direction. Apple needs to pick up the pace. They did that with the iPad. Now they just need to do that everywhere else. They have $100 billion (!) and seem to be progressing at a slow pace anyways.

jswis

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
New Jersey
Down hill at a high rate of speed

I agree that Apple has gone dowm hill. Ihttp://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif have been using Mac since 1985, when they were the leader and inovators, but now you can buy a PC for 1/2 the price and still get much more for you money. Apple has become a PC clone instaed of thethe other way around, you can install only "approved" software, unless you"monkey" around under the hood. System administraters did not like Macs in the 90's because user could easily change setting and operations, where as PC had everything in set locations. Now Macs have become just like PC only for double the price. With Intel processor's I expected more software to be ported to Macs, but it's slow in coming. I have co-exiasted with PC'S and Macs for almost 20 years in my previous work environment and all but been taken over by the dark side especially since I bought my 2007 Macbook Pro used for around a grand several months ago after unsolveable problems with my Quad G5 (software issues) and 2 months ago bought a 17" HP Envy dv7 custom configured for the same price with a quad core i7. Talk about a bang for the bucks.
You can't blame it all on the loss of Steve Jobs, it began when they switch to Intel. They are not the world largest corporation because of great product, just that the charge the most.http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/blackapple.gif

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I do believe Apple lose its mojo, I said it a long time ago. I know how corporations works after you take away the creating mind.

Apple is a consumer product company and it has no new ideas, with resizing things you are just under estimating the consumer, well, for Apple it just to be "your audience" because we were fans.

No new Mac Pros for example, a legacy product.

The iPhone 5... people are not crazy about them, just the girls.

The iPad... still good but is a leisure device.

But still, the spirit is not there any more. Tim Cook is a man who uses Powerpoint, is not an innovator or inspirator. He is not a man to be the head of a company like Apple. Of course, you won't get the results we used to expect.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
IMG_3462JPG2.jpg

The other day I went to Walgreens and there was a line of about 20 people, when I came out from the store there was a bunch of people still standing at the Redbox waiting to get movies. You tell them that the DVD-ROM drive is old and obsolete and that internet is the only way to go.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
^^
Let me take a wild guess and say none of those people owned an iMac or MBP. If you do need a drive to watch DVDs you can get them for pretty cheap these days can't you?

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
The real FAIL is that Apple sees what some of us are saying differently, thinner doesnt always mean better.An external device isnt the same like internal it isnt like you can take every adapter or part with you can you?

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
As a computer tech I find it useful to have an optical drive I am shocked to hear that people will still be willing to fork out a lot of money for a laptop that has no optical drive or ethernet drive and is not user servicable? Dont give me crap oh you can buy external drives, you cant take that stuff with you everywhere. Makes me think to start charging more to fix pcs with no optical drives cause it makes me waste my time fixing them.

What about desktops? Taking the optical drive out of the iMac was a big mistake. What does it matter if the computer is a few inches thinner than last year's model? It's a desktop, it doesn't have to look like a big Macbook Air!

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
What about desktops? Taking the optical drive out of the iMac was a big mistake. What does it matter if the computer is a few inches thinner than last year's model? It's a desktop, it doesn't have to look like a big Macbook Air!

Yes I forgot to mention that, my friend recently bought the iMac with the dvd drive from Apple. We missed around with the new ones I wasnt really impressed niether was he, it might thinner but when you have to use the SD card reader that is where it sucks too.

laptoplover2

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
USA
Ten years ago...

Remember the original MacBooks, white, black, and the Pro which was identical to the PowerBook G4? Remember how long those lasted and how long they worked? How amazing they were? Do you remember how you could just feel all the time, effort, and quality put into it? They were great. Apple is obviously just stuck on making money now, they could not care less about the products they put out there it feels like. First of all, was an iPhone 5 even necessary? The only reason it was put out there was so people would have to buy a new one. The 4S and 3GS, they were just put out there so people would have to buy the new one while they work on something new out there. Why do they keep doing that? So if you don't upgrade, they can say that the newest version of iOS is not supported on your device and that you need a newer one. Refuse? You begin to die slowly. A 2008 Black MacBook cannot run the latest Mac operating system. My 2010 MacBook is probably going to die soon. The Retina MacBook Pro is not a Pro computer, you cannot upgrade any hardware on it, it's missing tons of ports, lots of features were taken out, and the iMac has followed it's footsteps.

But my 2007 Toshiba laptop could absolutely run Windows 8 just fine, along with everything else. You would think that they'll have to be scared and compete by putting out more quality products like competitors do. Scary part? Microsoft is trying to copy Apple now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.