Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:40 AM   #1
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Should voter registration be automatic?

There's a bill in the House now that would automatically register someone to vote if they are already on file in other various governmental databases.

What say you on this? Is it a good idea to automatically push folks onto the voter rolls?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/lewis-b...ter-mos/nWBsQ/
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:46 AM   #2
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Just because you are registered does not mean you have to vote. I don't really see a problem with this.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Dweez
macrumors 65816

I think that's a bad idea.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:51 AM   #4
niuniu
Banned

One less bit of tape for people to deal with. Works fine in parts of Europe already.
niuniu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

I want to say that here in Texas we are registered automatically when we register our vehicles. I could be wrong, though.

I don't see a problem with this at all.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:56 AM   #6
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweez View Post
I think that's a bad idea.
Why do you think it's a bad idea?

--------------------------

I don't particularly care either way. I don't see much benefit in it. It's not like it's a hard process. While we have elections more frequently than every 4 years, people are more inclined to vote during presidential election cycles. This gives people 4 years to get their crap together for a process that takes just a few minutes to do. So why spend money to ensure people can vote that are too lazy to register themselves? Or are they just not aware that they have to register? If that's the issue, then determine if it's cheaper to get the word out vs automatic registration.

Whatever is cheaper, do that. I'm registered and I still get fliers in the mail telling me to register. I don't see how people can't know. If you're that ignorant of the voting process, maybe you shouldn't be voting anyway.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:14 AM   #7
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post

--------------------------

I'm registered and I still get fliers in the mail telling me to register. I don't see how people can't know. If you're that ignorant of the voting process, maybe you shouldn't be voting anyway.
That's generally the basis of my problem with it and the overall nanny state type mentality that goes into a bill like this.

Voting is a very important thing and a right that I am glad to have. But it isn't something to be taken lightly and I feel that signing up the folks who are too lazy to get off their backside to do it on their own cheapens the value of the whole process. And it's not like people don't have a bazillion opportunities to register to vote. I know here in Georgia you are asked every time you renew your drivers license if you would like to be registered to vote. On top of that there are voter registration drives going on in election years just about everywhere you turn.

The opportunities are there for people to register to vote. If you can't make the minimal effort needed to get that done then you can just sit at the house on election day.
ugahairydawgs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Dweez
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
Because it should not something which is "mandatory", occurs automatically etc. Personal choice comes to mind. Our government reaches much to far into the personal lives of US citizens.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweez View Post
Because it should not something which is "mandatory", occurs automatically etc. Personal choice comes to mind. Our government reaches much to far into the personal lives of US citizens.
I view it as a convenience. If your intent is to stay under the radar, they all ready got your number and no one is making you go vote.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
That's generally the basis of my problem with it and the overall nanny state type mentality that goes into a bill like this.

Voting is a very important thing and a right that I am glad to have. But it isn't something to be taken lightly and I feel that signing up the folks who are too lazy to get off their backside to do it on their own cheapens the value of the whole process. And it's not like people don't have a bazillion opportunities to register to vote. I know here in Georgia you are asked every time you renew your drivers license if you would like to be registered to vote. On top of that there are voter registration drives going on in election years just about everywhere you turn.

The opportunities are there for people to register to vote. If you can't make the minimal effort needed to get that done then you can just sit at the house on election day.
Frankly, I have a feeling that if one is too lazy to get off their a** once a year or every other year to register, they're probably not going to get off their a** to actually vote.
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:41 AM   #11
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Frankly, I have a feeling that if one is too lazy to get off their a** once a year or every other year to register, they're probably not going to get off their a** to actually vote.
In my state, I can get the form online and print it (could do this at the library for $0.10) and then mail it. As far as I know they send me prepaid stuff in the mail after that to ensure my registration is current. So they only have to get off their duff once to register. Lazy lazy people.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:43 AM   #12
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You're right....they probably wont on their own. But when some political operative comes to their door on election day with a bag full of shiny stuff or the promise of a free this or that (along with a ride to their polling place), what do you think ends up happening there?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:44 AM   #13
eric/

Quote:

I disagree. I think it's a nuisance to deal with. To me it seems pretty clear that people should automatically be registered, it removes inefficiency in the voting system, and may encourage more people to vote since now all they have to do is show up. We don't need the government to pay people to sit around and register people, it's a waste.
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:45 AM   #14
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
You're right....they probably wont on their own. But when some political operative comes to their door on election day with a bag full of shiny stuff or the promise of a free this or that (along with a ride to their polling place), what do you think ends up happening there?
They would have to be registered already, though.

And, as for the other stuff....
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:55 AM   #15
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
They would have to be registered already, though.

And, as for the other stuff....
Right....that's the point. If something like this bill were to ever pass (which I can't imagine it will even come up for a vote), then all those operative would have to do is go door to door in one of their target rich environments.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:00 AM   #16
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Right....that's the point. If something like this bill were to ever pass (which I can't imagine it will even come up for a vote), then all those operative would have to do is go door to door in one of their target rich environments.
If they are going to go through all that trouble, than theoretically they can show up with goodies and transportation to register people as well.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:04 AM   #17
Btrthnezr3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I want to say that here in Texas we are registered automatically when we register our vehicles. I could be wrong, though.

I don't see a problem with this at all.
Nope. When we get our renew our license we are asked if we want to register to vote but that's it.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:08 AM   #18
niuniu
Banned

Carbon footprint reduction and assistance to the elderly/less capable makes it worthwhile.
niuniu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:08 AM   #19
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Do you have any evidence of this happening in the US?
Eraserhead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:11 AM   #20
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3 View Post
Nope. When we get our renew our license we are asked if we want to register to vote but that's it.
I knew it was something like that. I guess I've been registered since I got my TX driver's license. I haven't been here long enough to renew it - I, for one, am glad it's one less thing to worry about. Every year (in January I believe) I get my Voter Registration card.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:20 AM   #21
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
I think it's one less obstacle. Personally, I think when you turn 18, you should automatically be registered to vote. The whole concept of registering is a bit antiquated.
SwiftLives is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:20 AM   #22
eric/

Quote:
and?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:23 AM   #23
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
One less bit of tape for people to deal with. Works fine in parts of Europe already.
Works for us.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:46 AM   #24
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Do you have any evidence of this happening in the US?
GOTV efforts are pretty common. Some are more on the up and up than others, but both parties do it.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:49 AM   #25
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
GOTV efforts are pretty common. Some are more on the up and up than others, but both parties do it.
There's a difference between GOTV efforts and basically bribing those to vote who wouldn't normally, which is what you were implying.

If that was "pretty common", I'm sure there is plenty of documented evidence of such wrong doing.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues