Photostream automatic import from iPhone to iPhoto, but does it keep? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:11 AM   #1
tkao2025
macrumors member

Photostream automatic import from iPhone to iPhoto, but does it keep?

I'm not certain how iPhoto and Photostream really works. I take pictures with my iPhone and they are automatically downloaded to Photostream. When I plug in my phone to my Mac, iPhoto pops up and informs me that my photos are already in iPhoto and do I want to import. I understand if I say yes, my photos are duplicated, but if I say no, will they keep on my computer even if they were imported using Photostream?

In other words, Photostream keeps 1000 photos, but if the photos are imported from my iPhone using Photostream, will the photos still be on my computer after the 1000 pics are used up? I'm a little confused
tkao2025 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:21 PM   #2
akm3
macrumors 68020

The computer will keep them.

The downside to photostream is it isn't uploading full quality pictures, if I understand correctly. So you'd STILL want to import them from the phone via USB if you want the highest resolution pictures.

Someone will have to confirm that.

However, iPhoto or Aperture will not delete photostream photos after 1,000. iDevices will.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Sital
macrumors 65816

@tkao2025: All your photos from your iPhone via Photo Stream will be kept in iPhoto. Look in your events in iPhoto. There should be a Photo Stream event created for each month (e.g. "Jan 2013 Photo Stream"). This is how iPhoto keeps all your Photo Stream pictures.

@akm3: I believe the Photo Stream pics are full quality (at least I've never run into image quality being an issue). But confirmation either way would be nice.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:50 AM   #4
tkao2025
macrumors member

Ok great thanks for all your replies.
tkao2025 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Big Stevie
macrumors 6502a

And icloud lets you keep 1000 photos without taking up any of your icloud storage.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store