Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Can somebody tell me why the developers feel the need to charge us for a V1 to V2 update? It seems very greedy in their part.
It saddens me that some believe in "free upgrade" entitlement. Developers are real people like you and me and they need to earn a living. Moreover, Tapatalk iOS app talks to server they host (for push services and account management), which has recurring expenses.

Having said that, some of the solutions require Apple's involvement, such as free upgrade window for recent buyers and discounted pricing for upgraders.

I own and purchased Tapatalk 1 and Tapatalk HD at full price, and purchased Tapatalk 2 for iPhone over the weekend. All in all, I think it is a major upgrade with significant usability improvements. Although some stability issues remain, the app finally looks and feels like a good standing iOS app.

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Agree with those last comments - as usual there are a minority that expect stuff for free and can't comprehend the developer has to put food on the table just like us.

ithinkimalion

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Agree with those last comments - as usual there are a minority that expect stuff for free and can't comprehend the developer has to put food on the table just like us.

I could see complaining if it wasn't a great update. But it is.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
It saddens me that some believe in "free upgrade" entitlement.

To be accurate, I was not asking for a free upgrade. I was alerted to the new version by an iOS 6 alert. The wording was ambiguous and simply wanted to check. It's only 99c but still, was more interested in following the upgrading process if one existed to avoid account duplications etc.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
I don't want to pay for an upgrade full price, I believe an upgrade should be discounted. I'd be ok with the price if I didn't buy original, but I will not pay full price for an upgrade, sorry!

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I don't want to pay for an upgrade full price, I believe an upgrade should be discounted. I'd be ok with the price if I didn't buy original, but I will not pay full price for an upgrade, sorry!

It was on sale for $0.99, did you miss it? I guess you'll have to pay full price or wait for the next time it goes on sale. You could email the developer, maybe they'll offer you a promo code.

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Anyone getting the app to force close when moving from one forum to another? I usually have three forums on the app. MacRumors, XDA and Android Central. When I switch from one to the others it force closes and have to open the app again.

pokenguyen

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
Anyone getting the app to force close when moving from one forum to another? I usually have three forums on the app. MacRumors, XDA and Android Central. When I switch from one to the others it force closes and have to open the app again.

It crashes often to me, switching forum or sending a reply. Wait for new update

AppleCore77

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
I haven't used either Tapatalk app. Would it be beneficial for the iPhone 5 to purchase Tapatalk 1 or 2?

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Any word of updates to fix bugs? I have tweeted the team and gotten no response.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Hmmm just looked into buying this app and its presently £2.49. Might wait a little longer and maybe it'll come down in price. Sounds tight on my part but I haven't long bought the first Tapatalk.

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2012
Hmmm just looked into buying this app and its presently £2.49. Might wait a little longer and maybe it'll come down in price. Sounds tight on my part but I haven't long bought the first Tapatalk.

It's defiantly worth the money man the old one in my opinion is kinda better cause you can customize it the way you want to in looks but there both awesome and must have apps:)

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
I'm starting to have problems with Tapatalk 1, had to reinstall and still at times can't post/ reply to post, are they forcing me to upgrade :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.