Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deuce22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Hi.

I bought the white Macbook when it came out 2 years ago and haven't had many issues with it.

However, for the last 6 months I've had repeated issues with it freezing and taking a long time to load web pages. Especially when there are a few open.

The reason I chose a Mac is that I was told that you should never suffer with these problems, which is what kept happening on Windows laptops.

When I run Onyx it is fine for an hour or so and then it starts up again.

Is there a way I can stop this happening.

Thanks.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
^^ NO.

HD is not the problem here.(IMO)

What to do, login into a new User Account, make that new one in Users and Groups in System Preferences and login into that one, see how it goes there and report back.

The reason I think it's not your HD is that using Onyx fixes the problem for a while.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
^^ NO.

HD is not the problem here.(IMO)

What to do, login into a new User Account, make that new one in Users and Groups in System Preferences and login into that one, see how it goes there and report back.

The reason I think it's not your HD is that using Onyx fixes the problem for a while.

Well, he says it fixes it for awhile. In my experience, if only one data point suggests something else, it may be a false data point. People see all sorts of things if they look hard enough.

deuce22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Thanks for the replies guy's.

justperry, I've logged in as another user and it is running similarly to when I have finished running onyx.

What is the next step from here?

In the other account I have things saved to the hard drive and bookmarks.

Cheers.

deuce22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
It's been running like a new laptop since I swapped users.

What does this mean?

Should I backup everything and use the disk to to restore to factory settings?

Thanks.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
Few questions:
Have you upgraded to mountain lion?

How much RAM have you got?

Check activity monitor when it's slow, sort by CPU if your fans are blasting, what's it doing when slow? How much RAM is free (if any)?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks for the replies guy's.

justperry, I've logged in as another user and it is running similarly to when I have finished running onyx.

What is the next step from here?

In the other account I have things saved to the hard drive and bookmarks.

Cheers.

It's been running like a new laptop since I swapped users.

What does this mean?

Should I backup everything and use the disk to to restore to factory settings?

Thanks.

What did you actually do with Onyx, it helps.

Now, this all says your normal User account has something inside which get you into trouble, the other Account was clean and diid not have the problem, this means it's only your normal User Account which is affected.

1st thing to do is to use a different browser like Firefox and see if it happens in firefox, if not you know almost for sure Safari is the problem.

If Safari is the problem start with moving (quit safari first)

/Users/****/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
/Users/****/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist

to the Desktop, move don't delete yet.
Now that you've done this start Safari and see if the problem is gone, if not move the two files back, you'll get all settings back.

Next thing to do if the above did not help is to Empty Cache under the Safari Menu, did this help, if not reset Safari also under the Safari menu and see if this worked.

If all of the above did not help move the

/Users/****/Library/Safari

Folder to the Desktop and test again.

I am pretty sure by now the problem should be gone, if not report back.

deuce22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Hi sparkyms

I'm not that good with the technical side, so please bare with me.

OS is Snow Leopard.

2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Whenever I check activity monitor, it doesn't seem to be using much on anything. Fans don't seem to ever be working that much either.

Hi justperry

I transferred a lot of stuff that I had saved on the laptop to an external hard drive.

I was planning to back it up and then use the disk to restore to factory settings.

As I said I'm not that good with the technical stuff and I may have applications on here that are causing issues. I've downloaded things, that I've need at a specific time and never used them again, but I'm not sure which thing can go and which can't.

Cheers.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi sparkyms

I'm not that good with the technical side, so please bare with me.

OS is Snow Leopard.

2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Whenever I check activity monitor, it doesn't seem to be using much on anything. Fans don't seem to ever be working that much either.

Hi justperry

I transferred a lot of stuff that I had saved on the laptop to an external hard drive.

I was planning to back it up and then use the disk to restore to factory settings.

As I said I'm not that good with the technical stuff and I may have applications on here that are causing issues. I've downloaded things, that I've need at a specific time and never used them again, but I'm not sure which thing can go and which can't.

Cheers.

It's not that hard, you do know what firefox is don't you, it's another browser, if you don't have it download it and try, if it all works there then Safari is the problem, simple as that.

By reinstalling and importing your stuff later on from a TimeMachine backup won't help you, you will get the same problem back(most likely.

Just read what I told you above, make a print of it if necessary, go step by step.

Btw, 2 GB isn't really that much, do you know the Model of the Macbook, go to the Apple Menu, then about this Mac, then More Info and System Profiler opens, look under Model identifier and post here.
If I know the model I can tell you if you can install more memory.

----------

Get some more ram buddy.

That wasn't/isn't the whole problem, the problem is not there after login into new Account.

deuce22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Hi justperry.

Yes I do have Firefox installed.

I opened another user yesterday and was flicking between the 2. After a few times of doing that it started causing problems again with the new user.

I just thought that restoring everything would be the easier option that's all.

The model is MacBook6,1.

Thanks.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi justperry.

Yes I do have Firefox installed.

I opened another user yesterday and was flicking between the 2. After a few times of doing that it started causing problems again with the new user.

I just thought that restoring everything would be the easier option that's all.

The model is MacBook6,1.

Thanks.

Ah, so you do have problems there as well, the only remedy is to install more RAM, 2 GB is not much, I have 1 GB and would like to get more but can't.

Yours can go up to 8 GB actual instead of what Apple says-4 GB.

Reinstalling OS X normally won't make much difference, it's not like windows which gets slower and slower overtime.

Edit: If you want to see if you need more memory it's actually fairly easy to see, open Activity monitor when you get problems( not before) then open System Memory, look if you have a lot of page outs, if so you need more RAM.(Screenshot 3)

Screenshots below.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    316.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    327.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

deuce22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Hi justperry.

I have now started using Firefox and since doing this and moving everything over to the Hard drive, it does seem a lot better.

I would like to add more RAM though. I was just reading a post and the person said to use the following memory: DDR3 1066MHz.

Is this the correct one?

I can get 8gb for £35.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.