Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:31 PM   #76
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Small phones were popular, now large phones are popular. People are trying to find the perfect device. The answer is different devices for different tasks.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:49 PM   #77
sentinelsx
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeTheSwitch View Post
For the same reason I am against small TVs and small computer monitors. The more screen real estate you have to work with, the easier it is to work with. The easier it is to play a game rather then squinting at some small objects and trying to not have your hand be in the way all the time. Now naturally there is an upper limit to that...you can't realistically have a 15 inch device with you. But perhaps someday we will have devices that can project an image from them holographically or something. Then, given a choice, would you still want your image to be really small?
Well the issue is our hands aren't getting bigger. TVs aren't held in hands.

However, while the note 2 is big, it is not as hard to hold for my average sized hands as many people make it out to be. In fact the GS3 was quite comfortable too, only problem is one handed operation is not practical in most situations though and i am used to sending texts and dialing contacts using one hand.

I just wish Kingdom Rush came on android. Playing that on a 5.5 inch screen would be awesome during my commute. That game has taken up all my commute time since i installed it on the iPhone 3 weeks ago.
sentinelsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:48 PM   #78
JoeG4
macrumors 68020
 
JoeG4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area, Ca.
Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
The bad taste argument is subjective. I find carrying an iPhone in any kind of case that has a hole for the apple logo bad taste.
__________________
I've been a huge fan of Mac OS X since 2001!
JoeG4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:19 AM   #79
Zwhaler
macrumors 603
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
That's really more in your head than anything.
Many felt the same before switching over and have found alternatives that work just as good or better than what's available through Apple's eco system.

I've switched and have been very happy with it.
Can't imagine going back to Apple at this point.
Yes same here. I dragged and dropped my music and everything worked out okay. I can see many other GN2 users on this forum that switched, been part of it since launch day!
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2x UAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:55 AM   #80
JoeG4
macrumors 68020
 
JoeG4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area, Ca.
Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
You can't drag+drop onto a note 2 in OS X without installing stuff because the Note 2 doesn't support mass storage. You have to install the MTP driver for the Note 2, which requires installing Kies since the Android File Transfer app doesn't come with that driver. Kies is buggy, and has a wifi client that will spam the living daylight out of your console and eat up cpu cycles if you're using certain machines and Mountain Lion.

However, you can uninstall Kies and still keep the MTP driver required for the Android File Transfer app With that, it's sorta drag and drop, in that the app will pop open whenever you plug your phone into the computer. However, the MTP driver can sometimes glitch out.

Another thing is that the updates are OTA or .. kies.. Kies is a piece of crap, we established that! Now, you can't just go to Samsung's website and download the latest version of your phone's firmware. In fact, you can't just do that from Kies either, so if you want to reinstall the factory rom, you'll have to do some hunting.

The phone has a nice firmware installer mode called Odin, but again, the Mac version of that sucks.

To me, that's all no big deal. To someone that goes insane about a tiny spec of a scratch on the back of their iPhone or that moment where they tried a friend's Galaxy S Skyrocket 3G from 2 years ago and it dropped 2 frames transitioning from the home screen to a game's app window.. those dudes would blow a vein dealing with Kies. xD
__________________
I've been a huge fan of Mac OS X since 2001!
JoeG4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:34 AM   #81
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
I remember feeling the same back in the Nexus One days. I used a Nexus One, went back to my iPhone, and thought "**** this screen is small." Fast forward a few years and it's just no contest between a 4.8 inch and a 4 inch - bigger is better when it comes to smartphone screens (up to a point).
__________________
"What kind of arrogant ass would quote themselves in their signature?" -0dev
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:42 AM   #82
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
I remember feeling the same back in the Nexus One days. I used a Nexus One, went back to my iPhone, and thought "**** this screen is small." Fast forward a few years and it's just no contest between a 4.8 inch and a 4 inch - bigger is better when it comes to smartphone screens (up to a point).
I actually upgraded from the Samsung S3 to the iPhone 5 and one of the appealing features was the smaller screen for me. The opinion that a bigger display is better is only subjective.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB White iPad 3 32GB Black iPad Air 16GB White iPod Touch (2007)
The-Real-Deal82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:38 AM   #83
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
I actually upgraded from the Samsung S3 to the iPhone 5 and one of the appealing features was the smaller screen for me. The opinion that a bigger display is better is only subjective.
What about a smaller device with a bigger screen? Razr M for example is roughly the size of an iPhone 5 except with a 4.3" screen. Or do you just not like large screens? If so why?

Just curious.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:00 AM   #84
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG4 View Post
You can't drag+drop onto a note 2 in OS X without installing stuff because the Note 2 doesn't support mass storage. You have to install the MTP driver for the Note 2, which requires installing Kies since the Android File Transfer app doesn't come with that driver. Kies is buggy, and has a wifi client that will spam the living daylight out of your console and eat up cpu cycles if you're using certain machines and Mountain Lion.
Why would you need kies when AFT works without it? The last thing I want to do is install kies, especially when I do not need it. I have AFT installed on the mac I am typing this on and it has never had kies installed. I can drag and drop with AFT as I can on my Nexus 4.




Michael

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
I actually upgraded from the Samsung S3 to the iPhone 5 and one of the appealing features was the smaller screen for me. The opinion that a bigger display is better is only subjective.
So if the S3 had a smaller screen but was still the same overall size it would be better? I think you meant "smaller phone" not smaller screen. Who wouldn't like a bigger display if all else was equal?

I can see wanting a smaller device, but I don't understand simply wanting a smaller screen.



Michael
Tinmania is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:31 PM   #85
Sensamic
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
One concern I have is that I find it really difficult for Apple to add new features to the iPhone due to the small screen. It kind of brings limitations to adding new features.

For example, let's imagine they add a swype style keyboard on iOS 7. Would that be useful and comfortable in such a small screen and small keyboard? I don't see it being very comfortable really.

You need more screen space in order to bring certain features.
__________________
27" iMac i5 + 240GB OWC SSD; Mac Mini HDMI 2010 as Media Center; SGS3; Nexus 7 2013 32GB Wi-Fi
Sensamic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:59 AM   #86
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
What about a smaller device with a bigger screen? Razr M for example is roughly the size of an iPhone 5 except with a 4.3" screen. Or do you just not like large screens? If so why?

Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
So if the S3 had a smaller screen but was still the same overall size it would be better? I think you meant "smaller phone" not smaller screen. Who wouldn't like a bigger display if all else was equal?

I can see wanting a smaller device, but I don't understand simply wanting a smaller screen.
Yeah if the physical size of the phone was the same as the iPhone is right now but had a bigger screen, I would welcome it as long as everything was in reach when using it one handed. The S3 for me was physically just too big. The screen was nice and was a useful size to use, but most of the time when carrying it around in my pocket, it just felt too big. The thing is its very difficult to have a 5 or 6 inch screen on a device that is 4.5 inches lol.

I upgraded to the iPhone because it was smaller in size and easier to use one handed. The S3 demanded I hold it with one hand and use with the other and if you are carrying something when out and about its not always convenient. It was also difficult because the device itself was much wider so gripping it hindered me. I like the fact I could scroll from top to bottom with my thumb without the risk of dropping the iPhone. I fancied a bigger screen at the time and went with the S3 but reverted back to a 4 inch screen because it didn't suit that's all. The S3 is still a lovely device and would recommend it to others, but it wasn't for me. Having used the iPhone for the past few months I have to say I much prefer iOS. I know there are claims its stale and in need of a revamp which I would support should it happen, but I do enjoy its simplicity and stability. I suppose its great as a consumer we have enough choice.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB White iPad 3 32GB Black iPad Air 16GB White iPod Touch (2007)
The-Real-Deal82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:04 AM   #87
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
What about a smaller device with a bigger screen? Razr M for example is roughly the size of an iPhone 5 except with a 4.3" screen. Or do you just not like large screens? If so why?

Just curious.
With a much smaller bottom bezel a larger screen would be a welcome upgrade for most people I'm sure, as it would still be able to be used with one hand.

Think the iPhone, but with almost the entirety of the bottom bezel being the screen instead of a home button, and then of course it would have to be a bit wider. Would still be very easy to wield.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:30 AM   #88
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
With a much smaller bottom bezel a larger screen would be a welcome upgrade for most people I'm sure, as it would still be able to be used with one hand.

Think the iPhone, but with almost the entirety of the bottom bezel being the screen instead of a home button, and then of course it would have to be a bit wider. Would still be very easy to wield.

The bezel isn't going to shrink much without ditching the home button, which might not be a bad idea.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:45 AM   #89
Fireblade
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
I actually upgraded from the Samsung S3 to the iPhone 5.
This is NOT an upgrade...
Fireblade is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:26 AM   #90
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
Yeah if the physical size of the phone was the same as the iPhone is right now but had a bigger screen, I would welcome it as long as everything was in reach when using it one handed. The S3 for me was physically just too big. The screen was nice and was a useful size to use, but most of the time when carrying it around in my pocket, it just felt too big. The thing is its very difficult to have a 5 or 6 inch screen on a device that is 4.5 inches lol.
I must admit that it puzzles me somewhat when people say that the S3 is physically too big when compared to an iPhone 5. I just cant seem to work out how much larger one's pockets would have to be.

My iPhone 5 on top of my S3, I felt the iPhone 5 more in my pocket due to it having inferior ergonomics than the SGS3. I think it could be summed up as the SGS3 was more screen whereas the iPhone 5 was more bezel.


Last edited by daveathall; Feb 1, 2013 at 08:21 AM.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:54 AM   #91
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
This is NOT an upgrade...
Well whatever word you want to use when you go from one phone to another at the end of a contact. Over here it's called an upgrade.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB White iPad 3 32GB Black iPad Air 16GB White iPod Touch (2007)
The-Real-Deal82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:08 AM   #92
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I must admit that it puzzles me somewhat when people say that the S3 is physically too big when compared to an iPhone 5. I just cant seem to work out how much larger one's pockets would have to be.

My iPhone 5 on top of my S3, I felt the iPhone 5 more in my pocket due to it having inferior ergonomics than the SGS3. I think it could be summed up as the SGS3 was more screen whereas the iPhone 5 was more bezel. I eventually sold the iPhone 5 when I upgraded to the SGS3.

Image
It's true. The s3 just disappears in my pocket.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:16 AM   #93
Fireblade
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
Well whatever word you want to use when you go from one phone to another at the end of a contact. Over here it's called an upgrade.
I hear you, no offence against you
Fireblade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:54 AM   #94
ceva321
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York City is where my heart is but now living in Delray Beach FL
Iphone 5 to GN2 = AMAZING UPGRADE
ceva321 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the one thing Apple could realistically "wow" you for the Retina Macbook Pro? Starfyre MacBook Pro 57 Oct 22, 2013 07:16 PM
Wow - Gatekeeper is possibly the worst thing I've experienced on a computer recently. mattcube64 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Feb 23, 2013 11:01 PM
Wow the new lightning cable is small (3 pics) TSX iPhone 29 Sep 19, 2012 08:37 PM
Small thing: Problem changing desktop benthewraith OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Jul 28, 2012 10:37 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC