Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I finally tried Noteshelf this weekend and I was a little underwhelmed. Maybe I just don't know how to use it right?

- Typing text:
Is there a way to just type continuous text on the page, with automatic page breaks? I only found the "text box", which disappears off the page when you type too much.

- Handwriting Zoom Window Advance:
I don't like their technique of auto-advancing the zoom window. Notability (and I think Remarks) employ the same concept. Notes Plus and GoodNotes got this one right, IMO. Makes a huge difference for me. If handwriting were very important to me, I wouldn't even consider other apps.

- PDF's:
Still no importing / annotating PDF's, it looks like?

What I do like is their handwriting engine. It's very responsive and looks great.

I've been using both Notability and GoodNotes lately, depending on what I need to do. I really want to like Notes Plus for all its features, but the UI is not intuitive, and the performance is too sluggish on my iPad2.

- Typing text: Noteshelf does not do automatic page breaks while using the Text tool.
- Zoom: give me 2 min in GoodNotes and I'll get used to their approach, and 2 min back into Noteshelf to feel OK with theirs again. Not that big a deal for me.
- Annotating pdf: IF this were to be my #1 need, I'd probably go for Remarks and take their notetaking ability along with it, and maybe forget about Noteshelf. At this moment though, making handwritten notes is my #1 activity.

I've recently tested some drawing apps like ProCreate and Paper. Thanks to it's highly responsive inking and well developped toolbox, NoteShelf could even become my drawing/sketching app...

AMC89

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2012
NoteShelf could even become my drawing/sketching app...

basically what I plan to use noteshelf for. I do a lot of measuring and usually end up with sketches on random bits of paper. With noteshelf I think I may be able to organise them!

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Weird, but I went back to check out Upad, the very first PDF annotation app/notes app that I ever tried. They must have updated it because the handwriting is more realistic and smooth than I remember and the PDF highlighting is neater, too.

Their folders UI still isn't very appealing, but I do like their in-page look. Very easy to switch to read-only or full screen mode, and their tool selection is pretty extensive.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Weird, but I went back to check out Upad, the very first PDF annotation app/notes app that I ever tried. They must have updated it because the handwriting is more realistic and smooth than I remember and the PDF highlighting is neater, too.

Their folders UI still isn't very appealing, but I do like their in-page look. Very easy to switch to read-only or full screen mode, and their tool selection is pretty extensive.

I really like Upad and the ability to annotate PDFs as well as create regular notes. I also recently downloaded Noteshelf, and I like Noteshelf's UI much better, but you can't annotate PDFs. I also wish the zoom feature could zoom in closer, because in UPAD, you can get in very close and thus write extremely small, which I like.

What would make UPAD perfect for me would be:
- updated their UI a bit.
- Better file system organization. I wish it was more like a bookshelf how Noteshelf does it.
- upload your own photos as book covers, how Paper by 53 does it.
- a better app icon wouldn't hurt.
- more intuitive button icons. Sometimes I get confused as to what certain buttons do.
- they need to fix the text typing, and it's very difficult to type things towards the bottom of the page, because your keyboard ends up covering what you're typing.

Lindseystar

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
OMG every second thread here is about what apps for college and note taking. Give us a break already. Enough. Read one thread about it and that's it - its so redundant. It's funny how All the responses here this one has a better ink selection and this one has a better template - who cares ! what are you a playing a pr role for the apps

Who is in charge on this forum ?! just delete all of these threads already !

and just not to be rude..

I have already mention on other thread the great apps to use and must have in my opinion on any iPad.

Calculator
DropBox/SkyDrive
Notability
CloudWord
GoodReader
Email

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
OMG every second thread here is about what apps for college and note taking. Give us a break already. Enough. Read one thread about it and that's it - its so redundant. It's funny how All the responses here this one has a better ink selection and this one has a better template - who cares ! what are you a playing a pr role for the apps

Who is in charge on this forum ?! just delete all of these threads already !

and just not to be rude..

I have already mention on other thread the great apps to use and must have in my opinion on any iPad.

Calculator
DropBox/SkyDrive
Notability
CloudWord
GoodReader
Email

OMG I am so sick of people who hate thread topics that click into them anyway, clearly to start a dustup, since they have no interest in the conversation.

Like, gimme a break already!!! Omg!!!

Lindseystar

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
OMG I am so sick of people who hate thread topics that click into them anyway, clearly to start a dustup, since they have no interest in the conversation.

Like, gimme a break already!!! Omg!!!

Get a life..

Whats the point of having every second thread on the same subject, Obviously I got into this one to make it clear. I'm not starting anything against anyone, it's a point to bring up. But it feels like here many people trying to promote some apps on here by bringing up the same subject and put down other apps by saying this one has a better features etc.

AMC89

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2012
So you hate the thread because you feel people are promoting apps yet you promote the ones you use? Welcome to macrumours

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Get a life..

I suddenly realize I'm probably arguing with a 13 year old. So in the spirit of responsible posting, I'll just go ahead and end the conversation here.

Have a good day at school and remember, don't trade away your string cheese. Unless they offer you a pudding. :)

Lindseystar

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
I suddenly realize I'm probably arguing with a 13 year old. So in the spirit of responsible posting, I'll just go ahead and end the conversation here.

Have a good day at school and remember, don't trade away your string cheese. Unless they offer you a pudding. :)

Or it seems like you and AMC89 trying to promote Noteshelf So much ! either you are the same guy, fake accounts or know each other ..Then ***** Noteshelf !

Notability is better.
Upad is better
Documents is better
Pages is better
note taker is better
you name it.. is better.
Now we can end the discussion. Have a good day.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Or it seems like you and AMC89 trying to promote Noteshelf So much ! either you are the same guy, fake accounts or know each other ..Then ***** Noteshelf !

Notability is better.
Upad is better
Documents is better
Pages is better
note taker is better
you name it.. is better.
Now we can end the discussion. Have a good day.

You could always choose to not read the threads that don't interest you, save yourself some time and spare us your whiny tantrums.

I, for one, am very happy to see so many discussions on note-taking apps. I enjoy reading people's experiences and opinions on each of them, what they are looking for in an app, which one works best of them, and why. It's informative and helpful to me.

Your mileage obviously varies, but no one is forcing you to read these posts.

Lindseystar

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
You could always choose to not read the threads that don't interest you, save yourself some time and spare us your whiny tantrums.

I, for one, am very happy to see so many discussions on note-taking apps. I enjoy reading people's experiences and opinions on each of them, what they are looking for in an app, which one works best of them, and why. It's informative and helpful to me.

Your mileage obviously varies, but no one is forcing you to read these posts.

Alright, Fine.. forget from what I have said. If you are all happy with it.. enjoy it. I'm sorry if I have insulted anyone.

AMC89

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2012
Only reading this now (was promoting noteshelf elsewhere). Made me chuckle.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Ok so now that we got that out of the way....

Have we settled on a stylus specifically for writing?
Maglus is what I'm hearing in this thread as well as the mesh tip ones...

I'm about to pull the trigger on this stuff.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Ok so now that we got that out of the way....

Have we settled on a stylus specifically for writing?
Maglus is what I'm hearing in this thread as well as the mesh tip ones...

I'm about to pull the trigger on this stuff.

I have a Boxwave Ever touch that I like for sketching. But for handwriting, I think you're better off with something firm. I returned the Bamboo because it was too mushy... my Maglus should be here in a few days.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I have a Boxwave Ever touch that I like for sketching. But for handwriting, I think you're better off with something firm. I returned the Bamboo because it was too mushy... my Maglus should be here in a few days.

I think I want to pick one of these up...Where are you getting yours?
Their website the only place to get it?

Ali Corban

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
NotesPlus best for doing everything note taking downloading PDF and PowerPoint import/export. Also you can go back and forth from taking notes and browsing. I have a IPad Mini 16GB and a screen protector I use the Targus works great not much pressure needed and is quiet...tried Truglide stylus flows amazingly but very squeaky I noticed when I was taking notes during class...Bamboo I tried in bestbuy didn't like it mushy and needed much pressure

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas

I dislike the mushy feel of the Bamboo stylus as well. Apparently, there are new firm nibs that you can purchase to remedy the problem. Let us know how the Maglus turns out.

As far as handwriting apps go, I will have to stick with Noteshelf; it seems the most fluid for me.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I dislike the mushy feel of the Bamboo stylus as well. Apparently, there are new firm nibs that you can purchase to remedy the problem. Let us know how the Maglus turns out.

As far as handwriting apps go, I will have to stick with Noteshelf; it seems the most fluid for me.

After a few days, the Maglus seems like the best I've used so far, and I've had about 6 or 7 total.

Note shelf is great; I just wish you could customize the thickness of the pens. The thinnest fountain pen is still a bit too thick for my taste. I also wish you could import and annotate PDFs (the developer told me that they are working on it. Apparently the problem they're having is that when you export the PDF to another app or site, the output size is huge.)

But their handwriting engine and realism is excellent.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I have a IPad Mini 16GB and a screen protector I use the Targus works great not much pressure needed and is quiet...tried Truglide stylus flows amazingly but very squeaky I noticed when I was taking notes during class...Bamboo I tried in bestbuy didn't like it mushy and needed much pressure

Your experience with the Bamboo sounds similar to mine, and I also have an iPad Mini with screen protector (though I tested the stylus with the screen protector off as well). Maybe I'll have to try the Targus, especially since they're easily accessible (sold at Target).

Thanks for the info!

Regards,
Tom

richimages

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Southeastern US
I have gone through three different styluses ... each switch being a vast improvement from the previous.

I currently use a mesh tipped stylus from Boxwave (right in image below) - as opposed to a rubber tipped stylus (left).

6a010535fde333970c01676649916a970b-pi

A mesh tipped stylus glides accross the screen with effortless resistance. If you get a rubber tip - and especially if your screen is clean, then it will grip the screen - you'll find yourself trying to push the tip across the glass display with much resistance. A mesh type is a VAST improvement ... it glides across the screen very easy. It flexes a bit. Don't worry - it will not scratch your screen at all.

I feel that I could take notes all day long just as good as with a pen and paper - no more fatigue. :)

From Amazon, the Boxwave that I have cost around $12.00 ( going from memory there ). There are many styles.

Good Luck with your decision, let me know what you decide.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I have gone through three different styluses ... each switch being a vast improvement from the previous.

I currently use a mesh tipped stylus from Boxwave (right in image below) - as opposed to a rubber tipped stylus (left).

A mesh tipped stylus glides accross the screen with effortless resistance. If you get a rubber tip - and especially if your screen is clean, then it will grip the screen - you'll find yourself trying to push the tip across the glass display with much resistance. A mesh type is a VAST improvement ... it glides across the screen very easy. It flexes a bit. Don't worry - it will not scratch your screen at all.

I feel that I could take notes all day long just as good as with a pen and paper - no more fatigue. :)

From Amazon, the Boxwave that I have cost around $12.00 ( going from memory there ). There are many styles.

Good Luck with your decision, let me know what you decide.

I too have the Boxwave mesh. It's pretty good, much easier to use over a long period of time than the basic Targus. I prefer the Maglus for writing (firm rubber tip, and just seems more accurate than any others I've tried), but the Boxwave is excellent.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I use:
App: Goodnotes
Stylus: Maglus or Wacom Bamboo

I want to use Notability, but there are two issues that made me hide it in a folder and ignore it. First off, it doesn't go into dual screen mode when connected to an external display, which is a dealbreaker when you're a teache.r Second, the zoom box has the detection box for moving the box at the end of the box, rather than at the beginning, which is what Goodnotes does. That means you have to write into the detection area, wait for it to move the zoom box, and the continue. In Goodnotes, you just continue writing from the beginning of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.