Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Thuc5dides
macrumors newbie

Whats your framerate cowboy?
Thuc5dides is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4
boat
macrumors newbie

I'll try to check specific details tonight, but when I launched it the first time it said something like "auto-detect has put you on high quality"

It looks great, barely stutters. Granted it would probably be a hair smoother in boot camp but it's really damn good in parallels. Good enough that it's worth it to not have to reboot. Also it is a top of the line iMac, not sure if it would work as well with a less powerful machine. But even still I'm completely blown away.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuc5dides View Post
Whats your framerate cowboy?
If you tell me how to see what the framerate is I'll let you know in about 8 hours. Anecdotally, it's a good framerate I can tell you that much.
boat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:35 AM   #5
jlmcclellan
macrumors member

What version of parallels? Also framerate?
jlmcclellan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:50 AM   #6
boat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmcclellan View Post
What version of parallels? Also framerate?
The newest version, 8 I believe. I'm at work right now so I can't get you the framerate at the moment but I can tell you it's good.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:54 AM   #7
luminouslight
macrumors regular

I've had nothing but bad luck with parallels it seems. Game crashes, errors, and this is with older games mind you. Might have to give it another shot.
luminouslight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Serban
macrumors 68030

So please post again with the frame rate...so do you have the max out 21.5" or the 27 ?
Maybe you could upload a video to youtube playing skyrim and link to us that video
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:36 PM   #9
boat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serban View Post
So please post again with the frame rate...so do you have the max out 21.5" or the 27 ?
Maybe you could upload a video to youtube playing skyrim and link to us that video
I can do that, does anyone know how to check the frame rate? Is it something built into the game or do I need a utility to do it? Also, it's a maxed out 27
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Serban
macrumors 68030

i think is cmd+r to show the framerate
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Jameshrcairns
macrumors member

Now this is what I like to hear
Jameshrcairns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Ciclismo
macrumors 6502a

You play Skyrim using Parallels? I used to be an adventurer like you...

(so glad the neg-rep button is gone)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:42 PM   #13
WilliamG
macrumors 601

No knee-d to say such things....

Hahahahaha!

*crickets*
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:31 PM   #14
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Just for comparison when I booted up skyrim in windows 7 bootcamp it detected at ultra settings and was perfect no lag or shuttering. 27inch 1tb 32gb ram and 680mx.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:34 PM   #15
boat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
Just for comparison when I booted up skyrim in windows 7 bootcamp it detected at ultra settings and was perfect no lag or shuttering. 27inch 1tb 32gb ram and 680mx.
Yeah I'm sure. I only resorted to using parallels because of the "boot camp doesn't work with 3TB drives" ********.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:36 PM   #16
ddarko71
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
Now I'm worried. My new 27" (680MX, 3TB fusion i7) is on the way....didn't know about the bootcamp issue before I ordered it. I wonder...how much worse is the performance with Parallels vs bootcamp? And if I can't use BC, which alternative is better, Parallels or VMWare Fusion?
ddarko71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:38 PM   #17
boat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarko71 View Post
Now I'm worried. My new 27" (680MX, 3TB fusion i7) is on the way....didn't know about the bootcamp issue before I ordered it. I wonder...how much worse is the performance with Parallels vs bootcamp? And if I can't use BC, which alternative is better, Parallels or VMWare Fusion?
Well as I've been saying this whole time it's pretty good in Parallels. Also they're fixing the issue in the next OSX point update so no need to worry.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:41 PM   #18
ddarko71
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat View Post
Well as I've been saying this whole time it's pretty good in Parallels. Also they're fixing the issue in the next OSX point update so no need to worry.
Sounds good to me, I'll probably just wait for the update. Thanks!
ddarko71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:24 PM   #19
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarko71 View Post
This is the reason why I didnt get 3tb or even 1tb fusion. You wont be using the ssd on the windows side anyways so any gaming performance gain is gone.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:01 PM   #20
boat
macrumors newbie

Ok, youtube video posted. Pretty good results.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:32 AM   #21
Kodo1670
macrumors newbie

Very impressiv!

How much cores do you give to Parallels? Which core activity is shown in MacOS' Activity Monitor while Parallels is running?

Thinking about which processor I will order. Pretty sure that neither my use of MacOS nor of BC justifys the i7, but maybe Parallels would benefit from it, in sense of having a quad core machine hostet by a quad core machine instead of a dual core by a dual core...

Or in other words: any owner of the i5/680MX who can tell if gaming under Parallels shows a similar performance with the i5?
Kodo1670 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:10 AM   #22
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

On the new iMac you can play Skyrim in Parallels

Yeah I'm in love with my new maxed out iMac. I don't want to use windows but there's a couple of things I need it for. League of legends and 3d studio. Both works perfectly fine in Parallel. Lol on maxed out settings and I can work in 3d studio without any lag. Rendering is ok too. On my previous iMac I hated having to boot up windows for these few tasks... Now I can jump back and forth quickly - it feels great. And in fact it's better since parallel utilize the Mac keyboard so it's easier to get things to work properly in windows...and drivers and all is set up by parallel. Framerate and performance would of course be better in boot camp, but it's nothing I notice and its not worth re-booting for.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:31 PM   #23
Kodo1670
macrumors newbie

Congratulations to your new machine!

But how could you know that the same machine with the i5 wouldn't give a similar performance? How does Parallels scale on the 4+4 cores at the ActivityMonitor?

The much better speed (attention, german technical term: SCHWUPPDIZITAET) of the new machine may also come from the SSD-like speed with FD.

To get benefits out of the HT-ability of the i7 the software has to take use of all this lanes (and has to be programmed not to good - if the code ist too efficient there is just no free moment for the HT to use and the "virtual" task just steals computing power from the "physical" task).

Aperture doesn't.
FCP does if you do rendering, not while actual editing.
Handbrake does.
iTunes doesn't.
Most games doesn't.
Photoshop doesn't, exept of a hand full of filters.

Does Parallels?
Forget about the software in the virtual machine. Windows in the VM knows nothing about the physical hardware of the Mac. Parallels is singing it nursery rhymes.
Kodo1670 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac