Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:53 AM   #1
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
retina MBP15: worst mistake of my life?

I bought a MBP15 with retina last year at launch and I am beginning to regret that decision. This might possibly be the worst mistake I have ever made in my life.

I think a tablet and a desktop is a much more potent combination and much cheaper. The other day I was traveling and I brought my laptop with me. Everyone was enjoying their tablets/smartphones and I was the only one with a huge brick. I felt so embarrassed. Everyone was so mobile and they could easily flash their tablets/smartphone anytime anywhere. I had to lug this thing around for the whole day cause I couldn't leave a 2.2k device at the hotel.

I bought this thing cause my mindset was so stuck in the 90ies and early 2000 when laptops actually were decent. But nowadays a tablet does everything better and at home a 27" monitor plus decent keyboard/mouse is more productive.
surjavarman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Not the drugs, not the alcohol, not the school you chose, not the career.

Its this damn retina computer. THIS is the WORST mistake of your ENTIRE life.

Do you live in a box?
__________________
MacBook Air 2010, 1.4ghz, 4gb, 128GB <3 my baby
MacBook Pro Retina 2.3ghz, 8gb, 256gb.
iPhone 5 16GB AT&T
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Ray Brady
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
This might possibly be the worst mistake I have ever made in my life.
So far. Don't worry, you've got time to improve upon it.
Ray Brady is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:03 PM   #4
bill-p
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
And I gotta wonder... couldn't you just take out your own smartphone and use that instead?

It sounds to me like your MBP was the only thing that you had. That's... not right, is it?
bill-p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:03 PM   #5
inlinevolvo
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I would think drafting this topic would be more embarrassing than pulling out a retina MacBook amongst mobile users. But that's just me.
inlinevolvo is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:07 PM   #6
CocoSS
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Sell it and buy a tablet
CocoSS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:07 PM   #7
hkim1983
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I disagree with this entirely. I see a future where tablets do become the main computing device for the majority of users, but that time isn't now, and outside of a few applications, tablets are still mainly media consumption. The only people that I know that can get by entirely on tablets are those that have the absolute lightest computing needs, and the web browsing experience is still inferior compared to standards computers (I'm using iOS as an example, I don't know if Android allows robust ad blocking on their platform).

If you think tablets can do everything better than your rMBP, the rMBP was clearly the wrong computer for you and you aren't utilizing its potential at all.

I also think it's foolish to base your decisions on others, but that's just me.
hkim1983 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Chefelvis
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Set it on fire!
Chefelvis is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Also obvious troll is obvious.

Quote:
Why are all samsung products made from cheap plastic? I mean I like their specs and prices and android is a capable OS. But why can't they just make a diamond cut titanium/magnesium/aluminum unibody fused seamlessly with glass.
Quote:
I already know what the next ipad mini is going be and when its going to be released.

Its going to be have a retina display and a6 cpu. Same price, release date somewhere in september. I will be buying one then cause the current ipad mini is so flawed.
looking for attention i suppose.
__________________
MacBook Air 2010, 1.4ghz, 4gb, 128GB <3 my baby
MacBook Pro Retina 2.3ghz, 8gb, 256gb.
iPhone 5 16GB AT&T
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:22 PM   #10
surjavarman
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgm541 View Post
Also obvious troll is obvious.





looking for attention i suppose.
Nothing you just posted there contradicts me. In fact it confirms why I think the retina MBP15 might be a huge mistake. Facts about me

1) i prefer android over ios
2) i prefer premium materials over plastic hence why i am here
3) ipad mini retina is the ultimate device for me
4) smartphoneless at the moment and interested in either the i5, ipad mini or android device.
5) i go naked with all my device cause i love design and premium materials and the feel of it

I AM NICHE OK????! How does that make me a troll? Care to dig more dirt from the past?
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:24 PM   #11
derbothaus
macrumors 601
 
derbothaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Pads are tools. The reverse is true.
__________________
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
derbothaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:25 PM   #12
bill-p
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
If that's the case, I'm baffled why you can afford a $2000 laptop, but can't shell out $600 for an off-contract world-ready unlocked iPhone 5.

I'd think the majority of rMBP owners already own a smartphone of some sort... if not an iPhone.
bill-p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:26 PM   #13
walkie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Written by surjavarman on another thread:

Quote:

Apple has officially gone downhill
Thats it. Apple has officially gone downhill.

Take away the hi-res display of the rmbp13 and you got something that more expensive, larger, heavier and less performance than the MBA13 (rmbp15 is already struggling at times). How is this a good product?

Then the ipad mini. Are you kidding me? You need to sandpaper your fingers to use that thing. Its doa, more expensive than the nexus 7 and with less specs.

Apple are really trying to extract as much $$ from their customers as people while they still popular. What happened to Steve Jobs philosophy.

.
Why in the world you bought a 15" rMBP??? lol
walkie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
1. You post outrageous things. That makes you a troll. You are upset about your retina, but stating it is the worst mistake of your life is taking it a bit too far.
2. Asking for a cheap android tablet and asking why its made out of plastic instead of diamond/titanium is trolling.

I can make lists too . I will not feed you anymore.
__________________
MacBook Air 2010, 1.4ghz, 4gb, 128GB <3 my baby
MacBook Pro Retina 2.3ghz, 8gb, 256gb.
iPhone 5 16GB AT&T
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:40 PM   #15
surjavarman
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-p View Post
If that's the case, I'm baffled why you can afford a $2000 laptop, but can't shell out $600 for an off-contract world-ready unlocked iPhone 5.

I'd think the majority of rMBP owners already own a smartphone of some sort... if not an iPhone.
I am in the market for a new smartphone right now. I am just having a tough time to decide. I am broke but that doesn't that I can't buy something thats 2k if I think its worth it. It doesn't mean I am just going to splash out $700 for a smartphone I am not 100% convinced.

I just wanted to make a statement that I think the retina MBP15 is not worth the money and I can't imagine that many situations where it would have a tablet+desktop crushed. I was just wondering if anyone felt the same and what I can do about it.

I feel a bit bad I am just looking for a bit of support. Why is it necessary to bring up old posts? Which I can btw perfectly explain and doesn't contradict anything I have said.
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:46 PM   #16
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
Nothing you just posted there contradicts me. In fact it confirms why I think the retina MBP15 might be a huge mistake. Facts about me

1) i prefer android over ios
2) i prefer premium materials over plastic hence why i am here
3) ipad mini retina is the ultimate device for me
4) smartphoneless at the moment and interested in either the i5, ipad mini or android device.
5) i go naked with all my device cause i love design and premium materials and the feel of it

I AM NICHE OK????! How does that make me a troll? Care to dig more dirt from the past?
Why on earth did you buy the rMBP anyway?! You should've gone with MBA11" if a laptop at all?
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:58 PM   #17
swerve147
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
If it isn't too late return the MacBook. Or if it is sell it before you lose any more resale value.

If your ideal device is the Retina iPad Mini you probably don't have much longer to wait. Maybe you can tide yourself over with a Nexus 7. Only $199 and it's a decent tablet especially if you prefer Android.

If you're here to post that a rMBP is a waste of money don't expect much sympathy (or help even), for obvious reasons.
__________________
15 in. MacBook Pro with Retina display mid 2012 (2.6/16/512) | iPhone 5S AT&T
swerve147 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:02 PM   #18
CarreraGuy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I think I'm pretty hip and cool around the young folks, look at my awesome sig!
__________________
13" 2010 MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 duo, 8gb RAM, 500gb SSD
iPhone 5 16gb
CarreraGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:12 PM   #19
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgm541 View Post
Not the drugs, not the alcohol, not the school you chose, not the career.

Its this damn retina computer. THIS is the WORST mistake of your ENTIRE life.

Do you live in a box?
Perhaps he hasn't made many regrettable decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post

2) i prefer premium materials
The idea of premium materials here is a fallacy. It says more to me about the mentality of the owners than the quality of the device. You said you felt embarrassed taking along a notebook while traveling. It sounds like you misinterpreted what you needed to do there. If you didn't need the capability provided by a notebook over your phone or a tablet, I can understand the buyer's remorse. It's a matter of what is needed while away. I'm not aware of any way to download CF cards on an ipad, so I'd still need the notebook in many cases.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:19 PM   #20
farmermac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
I wish the worst decision of my list was a 1000 dollar mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
I bought a MBP15 with retina last year at launch and I am beginning to regret that decision. This might possibly be the worst mistake I have ever made in my life.

I think a tablet and a desktop is a much more potent combination and much cheaper. The other day I was traveling and I brought my laptop with me. Everyone was enjoying their tablets/smartphones and I was the only one with a huge brick. I felt so embarrassed. Everyone was so mobile and they could easily flash their tablets/smartphone anytime anywhere. I had to lug this thing around for the whole day cause I couldn't leave a 2.2k device at the hotel.

I bought this thing cause my mindset was so stuck in the 90ies and early 2000 when laptops actually were decent. But nowadays a tablet does everything better and at home a 27" monitor plus decent keyboard/mouse is more productive.
__________________
2010 15" MBP AG - 2010 iMac
farmermac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:23 PM   #21
Moshe1010
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Can somebody bring some lipstick and Always pads, dude needs it.
Moshe1010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:24 PM   #22
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030
 
Orlandoech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
If buying a laptop is really the "worst mistake of your "life"" then you must have an amazing, simplistic, money infused life.
Orlandoech is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:29 PM   #23
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ [will always be home ] ... Denver, CO
So sell it.. use the proceeds towards an iPad/mini/iPhone and a Lenovo ThinkPad [ X, T or W series ] and call it a day!

If you prefer Android, the Note 2 and/or the GS3 are functionally awesome...It's a phone that will get replaced in what... 2 yrs at most ? The build quality of Note 2 and GS 3 isn't at par with the iPhone 4/4S..Iphone 5 is blah.. Either way, it won't break on ya!!

Done!

How you concluded buying a gadget was the worst mistake of your life eludes me!
__________________
Late '13 15" rMBP 2.3'16' 512 iPad Air LTE Mini Retina LTE
FS Mid '13 MBA i7`8`256 w/AppleCare thru late 2016! ; Mid '13 13" rMBP 2.4' 8'256 ; iP5S Unlocked ; Note 3
M5RahuL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:30 PM   #24
bill-p
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
I am in the market for a new smartphone right now. I am just having a tough time to decide. I am broke but that doesn't that I can't buy something thats 2k if I think its worth it. It doesn't mean I am just going to splash out $700 for a smartphone I am not 100% convinced.

I just wanted to make a statement that I think the retina MBP15 is not worth the money and I can't imagine that many situations where it would have a tablet+desktop crushed. I was just wondering if anyone felt the same and what I can do about it.

I feel a bit bad I am just looking for a bit of support. Why is it necessary to bring up old posts? Which I can btw perfectly explain and doesn't contradict anything I have said.
It doesn't have to be a brand new smartphone. Many MBP owners still have their old phones. I still have my old iPhone 4, for instance. It strikes me as weird that you don't have anything but a MacBook.

And if you knew the MacBook Pro wasn't for you, you could have gone with an iPad + desktop setup before you made the purchase. Or do you usually splurge on 2K purchases without even thinking about it?

That being the case, why... hesitate about a $700 purchase? I'm still baffled.
bill-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:35 PM   #25
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
If you're not happy with it, then sell it, buy a tablet and desktop.

Personally, I love my rMBP its a great computer and I have no buyers remorse. Everyone is different and if the laptop isn't suiting your needs, fix the situation, i.e., sell it.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big mistake - retina? jnash123 Web Design and Development 7 Mar 20, 2014 09:07 AM
Got rew retina MBP15. Problems with printing soamz Mac Basics and Help 1 Dec 5, 2013 01:40 AM
Bootcamp instead of Parallels: worst mistake of my life? Bobby Corwen Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 7 Feb 5, 2013 08:14 AM
Should I sell my retina MBP15 and get a.... surjavarman MacBook Pro 15 Feb 1, 2013 04:46 PM
Worst battery life ever. dnkbro iOS 6 88 Oct 10, 2012 12:11 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC