Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I apologize if this has been posted, but this thread is huge. Does anyone have a copy of the batch rip actions for Snow Leopard? Thanks in advance.

dgtlrift

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
WARNING: [...] SKIPPED because hard drive is full.

WARNING: /Volumes/[...] SKIPPED because hard drive is full.
Will try to continue with next disc…

I recently received this message when trying to import a new bluray disc - even though I have plenty of space on the disk. After some serious digging, I found that the "batchRip.sh" script has the checking of disk space on DVD import is disabled (commented out), but still enabled for BRD.

Is this a bug?

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
problem with $tvSearchDir

Firstly, I just want to say what a great set of tools you have made. I started using it yesterday and it is all round a much better workflow than individually doing each DVD with handbrake. Anyway, I have now got a problem which I cannot figure out how to solve.

Sometime this morning the scripts started to not be able to located the Batch Rip TV folder (I don't have mine in my Movies folder because I use a small SSD for my boot drive). Whenever I try to batch encode, I get an error in the terminal saying that the folder cannot be located among other things. See below for full error text:

/Users/xxx/Library/Application\ Support/Batch\ Rip/batchEncodeTmp.sh ; exit;
xxxx:~ xxx$ /Users/xxx/Library/Application\ Support/Batch\ Rip/batchEncodeTmp.sh ; exit;
Args not recognized
Args not recognized
Args not recognized
ERROR: /Volumes/Data Store/Temp to add to iTunes/Movies/Batch Rip TV could not be found
Check $tvSearchDir to set your Batch Rip TV folder

I am using the latest version of OS X Mountain Lion and it was all working fine earlier today and yesterday evening. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm tempted to uninstall and start again but I'm not even sure how to fully uninstall if I'm honest. Would be great to get it all working again so any advice would be much appreciated.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Firstly, I just want to say what a great set of tools you have made. I started using it yesterday and it is all round a much better workflow than individually doing each DVD with handbrake. Anyway, I have now got a problem which I cannot figure out how to solve.

Sometime this morning the scripts started to not be able to located the Batch Rip TV folder (I don't have mine in my Movies folder because I use a small SSD for my boot drive). Whenever I try to batch encode, I get an error in the terminal saying that the folder cannot be located among other things. See below for full error text:

/Users/xxx/Library/Application\ Support/Batch\ Rip/batchEncodeTmp.sh ; exit;
xxxx:~ xxx$ /Users/xxx/Library/Application\ Support/Batch\ Rip/batchEncodeTmp.sh ; exit;
Args not recognized
Args not recognized
Args not recognized
ERROR: /Volumes/Data Store/Temp to add to iTunes/Movies/Batch Rip TV could not be found
Check $tvSearchDir to set your Batch Rip TV folder

I am using the latest version of OS X Mountain Lion and it was all working fine earlier today and yesterday evening. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm tempted to uninstall and start again but I'm not even sure how to fully uninstall if I'm honest. Would be great to get it all working again so any advice would be much appreciated.

ok. I've figured out (in typical fashion shortly after this original post) the cause of the script not finding the $tvSearchDir. Somehow, the 'Batch Rip TV' folder automatically became renamed 'Batch Rip TV .Batch Rip TV', with the '.Batch Rip TV' part of it being invisible. Even pointing the automator workflow at the renamed folder doesn't fix it. The only way is to click on the folder name (as if to rename it) at which point the extra part to the folder name becomes visible and can be deleted. This has largely fixed the problem, however I expect it will resurface when whichever part of the script erroneously renamed it does its thing again.

On another matter, I am finding that about 50% of the ripped files do not encode using the batch encode workflow. Instead I am having to using the GUI handbrake instead which will hopefully work.

xepp

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Had a similar problem. Using a rule in hazel now to run the AppleScript at a certain time of the day & it's working perfectly.

Hope this helps

I'm having this same problem, too.

Mind if I ask how you got Hazel to batch encode a folder?

When I enabled the rules on the Batch Rip Movies folder, it opened a separate terminal per file in the folder, and when I try to do it from Batch Rip Movies' parent folder and apply the rule on the Batch Rip Movies folder itself, it just throws a bunch of errors.

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Okay something i discovered and i hoping one of you scripting genius's can help to fix it.

I have post nurmerous times about when i go to RIP a BD to mkv and havign the naming of file issue. an example...

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocal

Once I select the name from the list..

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocal (2011)

Once mkv gets fired up it names the file:
Mission Impossible: Ghot Protocal t100.mkv instead of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocal (2011).mkv

Could never figure out...

i got Short Circuit BD for christmas(one i didnt have) and low and behold when i rip it.. Makemkv names it corectly... Short Circuit (1985).mkv (or whatever year it was)..

So the problem is down to Movies after 2010.. it doesnt kn0w how to handle the higher years. So i would assume some scripting changes need to be done.. anyone have soem ideas?

Nobody? Where are these scripting experts we had around? lol

AussieConvict

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Mountain Lion Batch Encode Calendar

I have put together a rather simple (read: All it does is kick off mac.jedi's script) script to patch the issue with the Batch Encode iCal alarms under Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Looking for a few people to test it for me before I post it to the thread. PM me if you're interested.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
I don't think I've changed anything but all the sudden this stopped working correctly for TV. What its doing is spitting out dozens of files that are the same except for the name. For example I did my Firefly BD and when I went to encode Disc1 it spit out 16! copies of the first episode. There should be two copies, one at a lower resolution for iPad and one using High Profile, but there are 8 copies of each type. I thought maybe the rip was bad, so I tried Game of thrones and its doing the same thing. I tried two movies and it worked fine. Its only doing it for TV.

fcmarriott

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
Sydney
Automator Fixed

Hi all -

Have been using these scripts for a while - maybe a couple of years now. All the sudden about a week ago, the scripts stopped working.

OS X Lion, 10.7.5
27" iMac, late 2011
Batch Rip 1.0.9 Build 262

When I use Finder to initiate any of the scripts, literally nothing happens. No icon in the Status Bar, just nothing happens, no error.

If I go to Automator, and Run (for example) the Batch Rip Workflow, it initiates and works fine, but if I try from the Services menu to run (for example) the Add Movie Tags (Filename), just nothing happens.

I have tried to Uninstall from the Batch Rip application, I've uninstalled and manually removed all files from ~/Library/Services and reinstalled - no luck. Anyone else see anything like this? I can't figure out how to get the scripts reinstalled and working.

I figured it out. After searching for nearly a couple of weeks, I found a similar report on Apple's Support Discussions. If Automator stops working for you, which initiates many, if not all, the scripts, you need to reset Automator. Likely, if this happens, check your Console, you will find an Automator.launchd entry that says "exited with code: 1". This has been reported on Lion and Mountain Lion for Automator from a whole bunch of different people.

Follow these instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/message/20874800#20874800

Back to normal programming.

----------

I don't think I've changed anything but all the sudden this stopped working correctly for TV. What its doing is spitting out dozens of files that are the same except for the name. For example I did my Firefly BD and when I went to encode Disc1 it spit out 16! copies of the first episode. There should be two copies, one at a lower resolution for iPad and one using High Profile, but there are 8 copies of each type. I thought maybe the rip was bad, so I tried Game of thrones and its doing the same thing. I tried two movies and it worked fine. Its only doing it for TV.

I had this issue a while back. I think i traced it back to an updated version of either MakeMKV or MKVToolnix. I reverted back to the versions indicated back on the first page, and it worked. You might delete both of those apps and try reinstalling.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
I DID just upgrade MakeMKV right before this happened. I'm going back to the original versions, though I will say that's not what I was on... I was on the newest version of MKVtoolnix and the previous version of MakeMKV before this "broke".

xepp

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
I DID just upgrade MakeMKV right before this happened. I'm going back to the original versions, though I will say that's not what I was on... I was on the newest version of MKVtoolnix and the previous version of MakeMKV before this "broke".

I had this issue when I used a newer version of MKVtoolnix. Going back to 4.9.1 fixed it for me.

fcmarriott

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
Sydney
Mountain Lion BatchEncode.sh fix

jmfinn9

Sorry - can you be a little more explicit with your batchEncode.sh fix below? It seems to wrap over a couple of lines for me. I'd like to fix this in my script file as well, getting the same errors.

Thanks mate.

I think both of the problems below are related - sed needs the -E flag to use the '+' (I think). I made the changes below to batchEncode.sh (make a backup before doing this - and no warranty is implied...)

Also batchEncode.sh is located in:
Code:
/Applications/Batch Rip Actions for Automator.app/Contents/Library/Automator/Batch Encode.action/Contents/Resources

Code:
$ diff orig.sh batchEncode.sh 
1151c1151
< 	audioInfo=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep "\+ [0-9],.*$nativeLanguage.*Hz" | egrep '(DTS|AC3)' | grep "5.1" | egrep -m1 "" | sed 's|^.*\+ ||'`
---
> 	audioInfo=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep "\+ [0-9],.*$nativeLanguage.*Hz" | egrep '(DTS|AC3)' | grep "5.1" | egrep -m1 "" | sed -E 's|^.*\+ ||'`
1153c1153
< 		audioInfo=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep "\+ [0-9],.*$nativeLanguage.*Hz" | egrep -m1 "" | sed 's|^.*\+ ||'`
---
> 		audioInfo=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep "\+ [0-9],.*$nativeLanguage.*Hz" | egrep -m1 "" | sed -E 's|^.*\+ ||'`
1157c1157
< 		audioInfo=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep "\+ [0-9],.*$trackLanguage.*Hz" | egrep '(DTS|AC3)' | grep "5.1" | egrep -m1 "" | sed 's|^.*\+ ||'`
---
> 		audioInfo=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep "\+ [0-9],.*$trackLanguage.*Hz" | egrep '(DTS|AC3)' | grep "5.1" | egrep -m1 "" | sed -E 's|^.*\+ ||'`
1160c1160
< 		audioInfo=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep -A 1 'audio tracks' | egrep "\+ [0-9],.*iso639-2:" | sed 's|^.*\+ ||'`
---
> 		audioInfo=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep -A 1 'audio tracks' | egrep "\+ [0-9],.*iso639-2:" | sed -E 's|^.*\+ ||'`

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
I know i'm doing something wrong. I pretty much took the batch encode defaults and what I am getting when I run the batch encode service is the program creates sample files and new subfolders for all my .mkv files in the Batch Rip TV folder.

I've used hazle to move all my .mkv files into the Batch Rip TV directory and just want to encode them and move them to my media store. Not sure why I am creating these sample files and not encoding the full show.

My question is, how do I troubleshoot this? What can I attach here to decipher what is going on? Thanks!!!

Revken

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Dublin,Ireland
I'm having this same problem, too.

Mind if I ask how you got Hazel to batch encode a folder?

When I enabled the rules on the Batch Rip Movies folder, it opened a separate terminal per file in the folder, and when I try to do it from Batch Rip Movies' parent folder and apply the rule on the Batch Rip Movies folder itself, it just throws a bunch of errors.

Initially I set a rule on the batch rip folder:

If all of the conditions are met for the files or folders being matched
Current time is X any day
Run AppleScript embedded script

I have changed it over the past few weeks to work better with my download/ripping pattern & it now runs when the file is added to the folder

Riderville

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Using Batch Encode for *.wtv files

Hi Mac Jedi

Thank you for the excellent How To post and all your efforts to automate a very time consuming process.

I am wondering if the Batch encode module can be used for *.wtv files? I record TV shows using a Silicon Dust HD Homerun on Windows 7 MCE. The recorded TV shows have a *.wtv file extension. I am using the latest version of Handbrake as source files can use the *.wtv files. I ask as I did not see *.wtv files as a supported source file for Batch encode.

I transfer the *.wtv from a Dell Windows 7 PC to a Synology NAS as a handover to Handbrake which runs on a Mac Mini. Can the Batch Bin folders be located on a NAS?

UPDATE
I have setup networking between the Mac Mini to eliminate the NAS.

I installed the Automator batch files.

When I run Batch Rip * Batch Encode I get the following error. ERROR No videos found. Check input search directories.

Is this because the files in the Batch TV Rip folder have a *.wtv extension?

I know it is not a Handbrake issue as the latest version does accept *.wtv files.

I did have the problem that the Batch TV Rip folder had been renamed Batch TV Rip.Batch TV Rip but I renamed to the correct name. I also tried adding TV Shot in Spotlight for the *.wtv files.

Any ideas

SOLVED

The issue was the Batch Encode does not recognize files with a *.wtv extension. By simply changing the extension to *.avi, the problem was solved.

To validate the above solution, I compared the Batch Encode output file with the output file of Hanbrake using the GUI and a *wtv input files. MediaInfo shows the output files to be the same.

Last edited:

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
I could really use some help with this. For some reason Batch Rip Encode is making multiple copies of each of my .mkv files I am asking it to encode. How do I troubleshoot this problem? Thanks!!!

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
I misspoke my problem:

The program is encoding multiple copies. Creating 4 encoded versions of each new ripped file. I don't know why it's making so many versions. They are all the same exact size and version of the first encoded file. Obviously I only need ONE ripped output file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
I misspoke my problem:

The program is encoding multiple copies. Creating 4 encoded versions of each new ripped file. I don't know why it's making so many versions. They are all the same exact size and version of the first encoded file. Obviously I only need ONE ripped output file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I figured it out...it was actually mentioned earlier in this forum. If you download the latest version of mkvtoolsnix you will have this issue.

I removed the newest version and installed v. 4.9.1 as was mentioned in the page 1 directions. Didn't think that would matter but it does.

jmfinn9

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
jmfinn9

Sorry - can you be a little more explicit with your batchEncode.sh fix below? It seems to wrap over a couple of lines for me. I'd like to fix this in my script file as well, getting the same errors.

Thanks mate.

Yeah - sorry - in my browser you can scroll right to see the part of the diff that matters. I'll try to explain it shorter.

in batchEncode.sh at the end of lines 1151, 1153, 1157, 1160, you'll see:

sed 's|^.*\+ ||'`

change that to:

sed -E 's|^.*\+ ||'`

basically, the 'sed' command needs the '-E' flag.

Let me know if that helps.

JTDeel

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
New guy to the mac world. Only thing I know that I'm having have a problem is ripping tv shows. I seem to be only getting 1 episode for the rip. I trying to rip band of brothers I've tried tv and movies but getting same result 1 episode.

TIA

JT

jmfinn9

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
New guy to the mac world. Only thing I know that I'm having have a problem is ripping tv shows. I seem to be only getting 1 episode for the rip. I trying to rip band of brothers I've tried tv and movies but getting same result 1 episode.

TIA

JT

Is this during the rip or the encode? If the problem is in the encoding, it may be because it still thinks it's a movie, not a TV Show. Try putting 'TV Show' in the spotlight comments field of the rip folder. (Select the folder, right click, select 'Get Info', put 'TV Show' in Spotlight Comments).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.