Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

templerun21.jpg
In the two weeks since Temple Run 2 launched on the App Store, Google Play, and the Amazon Marketplace, the app has been downloaded more than fifty million times, the fastest downloaded mobile game in history.

The previous fastest downloaded game was Angry Birds Space, selling 50 million copies in under six weeks -- though Angry Birds Space was a pay app, not a free download like Temple Run 2.
Temple Run 2 originally launched exclusively on the App Store on January 17 and quickly rose to the #1 slot in Free Apps, earning over six million downloads in less than 24 hours. Following a release on Google Play and Amazon Marketplace, the sequel continued its record-breaking success, racing to the #1 spot, respectively, in each store. Following in the footsteps of Temple Run, which has been downloaded over 170 million times, Temple Run 2 has cemented itself in mobile gaming history.

"Temple Run has evolved into something so much bigger than us," says Keith Shepherd, co-founder of Imangi. "The game has performed beyond our wildest dreams, and we are thrilled that gamers and fans have embraced Temple Run 2 in such a short period of time."
Temple Run 2 is available as a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Temple Run 2 Fastest Downloaded Mobile Game Ever, 50 Million Copies in Two Weeks

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Yea I really like playing this game, not sure what draws me to it. It's like Forest Gump I guess you just want to keep running and then maybe one day I'll stop.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Any info about their revenue from this game? I am just curious about it :cool:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The mechanics interaction w/ the environment are not as good as the 1st, but is easy for it to get lots of downloads when it's free though.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Great...I hope they are able to fix a few of the bugs before long

1. When you get a power up while it is already active the new one doesn't reset the duration, it still ends based on the length of the original.

2. I went past 1,000,000 meters and it didn't give me any exp and has a duplicate 1,000,000 meters achievement still saying I'm only about half ways done. Once I completed then it gave me a second 500,000 coins achievement so I'm sure I'm toast on that one as well.

3. My lifetime coins are not anywhere close to correct. it says I have 128,884 total in 292 runs with a single run high of 14,228. Also it shows I'm over half ways to 500,000 lifetime on the achievement.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Hard to say with freeium... Depends on how much people were desperate enough to one-up their friends to use their credit card :eek:

I consider myself a person that would never make in app purchases, and I've spent over $20 on the game so far, over time. I image they average at least $1 for every free player, $50 million made so far, AT LEAST.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
I'm kind of pissed at this game. I had made some great progress and had hit 100,000 lifetime coins, and then it reset my coins

Only the coins have reset though. These are my current stats:

Single Run
Highest Score: 9,835,766
Longest Run: 26,411
Most Coins: 0

Lifetime
Total Games: 63
Total Distance: 353,008
Total Coins: 0

I'm pretty pissed since i was well over 100,000 lifetime coins and one of my current objectives is 500,000 lifetime coins.

So i'm stuck because my coins keep getting reset.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I'm kind of pissed at this game. I had made some great progress and had hit 100,000 lifetime coins, and then it reset my coins

Only the coins have reset though. These are my current stats:

Single Run
Highest Score: 9,835,766
Longest Run: 26,411
Most Coins: 0

Lifetime
Total Games: 63
Total Distance: 353,008
Total Coins: 0

I'm pretty pissed since i was well over 100,000 lifetime coins and one of my current objectives is 500,000 lifetime coins.

So i'm stuck because my coins keep getting reset.

That's weird. My coins are wrong but it continues to recognize them in my objectives. It also continues to count them, even though it is at least 100,000 off.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
In related news 39 million people have already stopped playing Temple Run 2 for good making it the fastest dust gathering game ever.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
it's good but not that good, gets extremely repetitive.. same with fruit ninja and jetpack joyride.. all deleted from my device

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
That's weird. My coins are wrong but it continues to recognize them in my objectives. It also continues to count them, even though it is at least 100,000 off.

Yep the lifetime coins seems to reset per session, as does the most coins in one run stat, but as you say they still seem to count for achievements. I finally got the first "500,000 lifetime coins" achievement last night, which I think was more like 1m coins as I got 150k in that session alone, and now there is another achievement that says 500k coins and I'm hardly anywhere on that.

There is a gem powerup thing that says "requires level 10" but as far as I can see you cannot get that high. Halfway through level 8 and the only achieves left are lifetime goals, plus I'm at 40/42 achievements in GC. And, as they are lifetime goals, I'm probably just going to max out the last two upgrades and then quit, maybe return to TR1 where I still have a few achieves to get as well.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Yep the lifetime coins seems to reset per session, as does the most coins in one run stat, but as you say they still seem to count for achievements. I finally got the first "500,000 lifetime coins" achievement last night, which I think was more like 1m coins as I got 150k in that session alone, and now there is another achievement that says 500k coins and I'm hardly anywhere on that.

There is a gem powerup thing that says "requires level 10" but as far as I can see you cannot get that high. Halfway through level 8 and the only achieves left are lifetime goals, plus I'm at 40/42 achievements in GC. And, as they are lifetime goals, I'm probably just going to max out the last two upgrades and then quit, maybe return to TR1 where I still have a few achieves to get as well.

Well crap. I had a moment of hope reading your post, but mine are definitely not counting towards my achievements still. I know i've gotten at least 100,000 coins as i have that acheivement, but the "Gold Miner" 500,000 lifetime coins objective has a tiny sliver of green. It should at least be filled up 1/5th of the bar.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Well crap. I had a moment of hope reading your post, but mine are definitely not counting towards my achievements still. I know i've gotten at least 100,000 coins as i have that acheivement, but the "Gold Miner" 500,000 lifetime coins objective has a tiny sliver of green. It should at least be filled up 1/5th of the bar.

Yeah things are a bit messed up, there are 2 achieves that call themselves 500,000 coins. I just completed one of them but am barely 20% to the other, presumably a typo/issue that was supposed to say 2.5million? Not terribly surprising in a game where they misspell "ojbectives".

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Yeah things are a bit messed up, there are 2 achieves that call themselves 500,000 coins. I just completed one of them but am barely 20% to the other, presumably a typo/issue that was supposed to say 2.5million? Not terribly surprising in a game where they misspell "ojbectives".

Hahaha thats funny, totally didn't see "OJBECTIVES" lol :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.