Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:27 AM   #51
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
You know, you can spin this any way that suits you. The bottom line is that the sporting community was outraged by Reeds actions and banded together to boycott this years show. There are simply no if's, ands, or buts.

There are companies that decided to boycott that will lose alot of business this year.
Talking about spin I don't see a firearms ban.
unlinked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:28 AM   #52
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post

I don't doubt that rural people need rifles to shoot rabbits. Do they need rifles configured so that they can be fired at automatic rifle rates? Do they need fake bayonet mounts? You may think it is an amusing fad, but, the reality is that people die because of it.
Wow I didnt know my bayonet mount could be so deadly. Also, just because it looks like an 'assault weapon' doesn't mean it's an automatic...

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Assau...automatic-guns

Last edited by duneriderltr450; Jan 30, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:39 AM   #53
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
What features make them excellent hunting rifles?

Are they particularly accurate?

What feature do they possess that works better for hunting than other rifles?
Yes, AR15's are incredibly accurate. Direct gas impingement lends to accuracy in a way piston driven semi automatic rifles cant touch. 15 years ago bolt action rifles were the standard for long range competition shooters, but now AR15's tend to be way more popular.

Also AR15's have vast aftermarket support for accessories and they are easily accurized. Really, add a stainless barrel, good glass, and a free float rail and you can get clean hits out to 700 yards all day with a good load.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:10 AM   #54
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
its also a hell of alot more humane than some of the alternatives which includes poison.
You missed the point. It isn't something that should be celebrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post

If you want to fix the land, you need fewer black rifles and more black-footed ferrets.
Ferrets are awesome.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:34 AM   #55
IBradMac
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Yes, AR15's are incredibly accurate. Direct gas impingement lends to accuracy in a way piston driven semi automatic rifles cant touch. 15 years ago bolt action rifles were the standard for long range competition shooters, but now AR15's tend to be way more popular.

Also AR15's have vast aftermarket support for accessories and they are easily accurized. Really, add a stainless barrel, good glass, and a free float rail and you can get clean hits out to 700 yards all day with a good load.
Yeah with the .308 not so much the .223
IBradMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:14 AM   #56
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
Wow I didnt know my bayonet mount could be so deadly.
Deadly in the hands of some "misguided individual" (observing the niceties of MR) who thinks he looks like Rambo.

Quote:
Also, just because it looks like an 'assault weapon' doesn't mean it's an automatic...

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Assau...automatic-guns
I think this has been pointed out about 50 times by now, but, some configurations of semi-automatics fire as rapidly as some automatics. Not too long ago, I heard someone shooting at a firing range. It sounded like a fully-automatic to me, like an old M16 in auto-mode. I was surprised that someone would risk that at a firing range. Since then, I have realized that some semi-automatics can be legally configured to fire that fast. The URL below is one of thousands you can Google of people showing off how fast they let loose.

So, do tell, what exactly is the difference between an automatic, and, a AR15 with sliding fire butt stock and a belt conversion:

http://www.gunblast.com/SlideFire.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_D-g1mWxg

Oh, and one more thing-- what does the "AR" in AR15 stand for?

Quote:

So, tell me, is there any reason to think that a bolt action competition rifle would not be as or more accurate than a souped-up AR15? What can the modified AR15 do, other than fire more rapidly?
jnpy!$4g3cwk is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:05 AM   #57
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Deadly in the hands of some "misguided individual" (observing the niceties of MR) who thinks he looks like Rambo.

I think this has been pointed out about 50 times by now, but, some configurations of semi-automatics fire as rapidly as some automatics. Not too long ago, I heard someone shooting at a firing range. It sounded like a fully-automatic to me, like an old M16 in auto-mode. I was surprised that someone would risk that at a firing range. Since then, I have realized that some semi-automatics can be legally configured to fire that fast. The URL below is one of thousands you can Google of people showing off how fast they let loose.

So, do tell, what exactly is the difference between an automatic, and, a AR15 with sliding fire butt stock and a belt conversion:

http://www.gunblast.com/SlideFire.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_D-g1mWxg

Oh, and one more thing-- what does the "AR" in AR15 stand for?
Yes you are right about the slide fire stock. Those things are junk and almost everyone I have ran into that owns one, from what i saw is an irresponsible gun owner.

AR stands for ArmaLite.

http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/History.pdf

Page 3 near the bottom.

Last edited by duneriderltr450; Jan 31, 2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Added link
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:33 AM   #58
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBradMac View Post
Yeah with the .308 not so much the .223
Depends on the shooter. I've seen competitive shooters run rings around 7.62NATO with 77gr match 5.56 ammo.

----------

Quote:

So, tell me, is there any reason to think that a bolt action competition rifle would not be as or more accurate than a souped-up AR15? What can the modified AR15 do, other than fire more rapidly?
That's not the right question. Your typical bolt gun is more of a pain in the ass to get accurate, keep accurate, and configure to meet your shooting objectives.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:20 AM   #59
IBradMac
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
Depends on the shooter. I've seen competitive shooters run rings around 7.62NATO with 77gr match 5.56 ammo.

----------

That's not the right question. Your typical bolt gun is more of a pain in the ass to get accurate, keep accurate, and configure to meet your shooting objectives.
I was referring to longer range shooting.
77 gr requires a lot more doping on the scope than say 150 gr.
IBradMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:19 AM   #60
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
My dad has an older 25-35 (small caliber high velocity round) lever action that is dead nuts accurate, even with only the iron sights on it. If i remember correctly it is sighted in at 200 yards and I can pick of a ground hog at that distance.

We don't use it a whole lot because ammo can be a pain to get for it. I am in the process of making my own rounds for it so we can use it more. It is such a nice low recoil yet powerful gun to shoot.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:43 AM   #61
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post

Yes you are right about the slide fire stock. Those things are junk and almost everyone I have ran into that owns one, from what i saw is an irresponsible gun owner.
This could be the basis for a rational discussion. To some extent, the problem we are facing is one of the First Amendment as much as the Second. Gun manufacturers are promoting ownership of weapons to irresponsible gun owners and the NRA is fueling that. The question is how to put a lid on it.

One way to do it is to try to restrict the sale of weapons that have particular appeal to impulsive irresponsible people. Another way would be for organizations like the NRA to stop their irresponsible speech.

In recent weeks, I have followed up on a number of these YouTube references that get posted, and naturally, "related" videos are suggested. It is amazing how many times the person with the loaded gun turns towards and camera and smiles before shooting. For some reason, "Darwin Award" comes to mind ...
jnpy!$4g3cwk is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:40 AM   #62
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Do they need fake bayonet mounts? You may think it is an amusing fad, but, the reality is that people die because of it.
I'd like to see the source upon which you're basing this claim. Just how many people die each year because of "fake bayonet mounts?"
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:51 AM   #63
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
My bad, but it still doesn't address how the NRA is turning from a responsible lobby into one that seemingly ignores hunting while furthering rambo/conspiracy types.
You forgot the Ultra Conservative, self righteous, Communist accusing to any who does not agree to every position.

They have attacked Republican congressmen for near hint they did not fully support them.

IMHO, they seem completely corrupted and tyrannical.
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:55 AM   #64
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
You forgot the Ultra Conservative, self righteous, Communist accusing to any who does not agree to every position.

They have attacked Republican congressmen for near hint they did not fully support them.

IMHO, they seem completely corrupted and tyrannical.

Was nice seeing a few Senators standing up to LaPierre's bull **** at yesterday's hearings. The NRA needs a new spokesperson. LaPierre is toxic at this point.
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:59 AM   #65
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
One way to do it is to try to restrict the sale of weapons that have particular appeal to impulsive irresponsible people. Another way would be for organizations like the NRA to stop their irresponsible speech.
Its easy.
Certification/qualification classes before a purchase is allowed.

Instructor will approve based not just on passing questions, but on discipline and respect to the weapon.

This could be done in lieu of background check, as criminals would not have the money or patience to do something like this to get a weapon.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:40 PM   #66
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Sad to see this type of thinking still prevails. Prairie dogs are an important part of the diet of a number of species. They may be inconvenient for you on your land, but, if there are no prairie dogs anywhere on any land, it makes it that much harder, for example, for Golden Eagles.
Well, consider the Coyote and Wolf too. They need to eat.

But then those attack peoples pets, and people as well.

So we hut those to near extinction, or at least to control.

But then their is no check on the varmint becuase its predators are hunted to protect humans.

So, people need to hunt varmints becuase we hunted predators to protect ourselves.

Few things are simple.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:59 PM   #67
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Well, consider the Coyote and Wolf too. They need to eat.

But then those attack peoples pets, and people as well.

So we hut those to near extinction, or at least to control.

But then their is no check on the varmint becuase its predators are hunted to protect humans.

So, people need to hunt varmints becuase we hunted predators to protect ourselves.

Few things are simple.
What's with this whole 'varmint' thing. It's not a biological or legal definition so it must be some kind of justification for killing animals.

Can you provide me with numbers for coyote and wolf attacks? Obviously wolves have been hunted almost to extinction so the numbers are going to be miniscule for the last hundred years or so. Perhaps there are historical numbers you can provide?

I've never heard of a coyote attack a human being. So, I think you're looking for a problem for your gun-based solution.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:05 PM   #68
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I've never heard of a coyote attack a human being. So, I think you're looking for a problem for your gun-based solution.
It is just like deer in that you can get a nuisance license to hunt them all year round.

While I have not heard of a human being attacked by a coyote I have had friends dogs killed by them. I know of two people that have lost 3 dogs in the last 5 years to coyotes.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:43 PM   #69
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostuff1 View Post
It is just like deer in that you can get a nuisance license to hunt them all year round.

While I have not heard of a human being attacked by a coyote I have had friends dogs killed by them. I know of two people that have lost 3 dogs in the last 5 years to coyotes.
They must live in a rural or exurban area and not keep their dogs under control. You must live in the NE or upper MW where the deer population is exploding. I always find it ironic that gun owners in those areas no longer care about hunting animals, only humans.

Suburban and exurban lifestyle choices are the reason for deer overpopulation along with a lack of natural predators. What's more, I'll bet that deer cause more human deaths in the US than coyotes or wolves ever have.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:15 PM   #70
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
They must live in a rural or exurban area and not keep their dogs under control. You must live in the NE or upper MW where the deer population is exploding.
Of course they do, most of them are farmers or own quite a bit of land. And as for the assumption they don't keep there dogs under control you can stop assuming and making an arse of yourself. The dogs are chained up at night by the dog house and are not "roaming free."

Quote:
I always find it ironic that gun owners in those areas no longer care about hunting animals, only humans.
what does this even mean...?

Quote:
Suburban and exurban lifestyle choices are the reason for deer overpopulation along with a lack of natural predators. What's more, I'll bet that deer cause more human deaths in the US than coyotes or wolves ever have.
Probably true. Just because you don't want to hunt an animal don't hate on the people that do.

Every animal I have ever hunted has been used in some way, including ground hogs and the like. I have only ever had one occasion to kill a coyote. It got into our barn where we had rabbits penned up for 4-H fair competitions. They forced there way into the cage and proceeded to kill any rabbit they could get a hold of. We could hear the rabbits squealing from inside the house so ran outside. We got outside saw the coyote which was trying to finish off one of the rabbits. My dad and I had guns so we proceeded to kill the coyote. The next day we skinned it out, cut it into pieces and took it to a friends house for his hunting dogs to eat.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:40 PM   #71
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
The NRA was founded as a resource for hunters but today it's sole purpose seems to further Rambo/conspiracy theorist types.
I "heard" the NRA was founded because white hoods were out of fashion, and they needed a new social club. (See Bowling for Columbine - if you want a little controversy).

(edit - or as they would do on Fox News... some people are reporting that the NRA is an offshoot of the KKK).

(edit2 - I'm not suggesting this, I'm merely reporting what others have said, and are talking about).
mcrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:33 PM   #72
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
or as they would do on Fox News...
We report, you decide
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:06 PM   #73
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
What's with this whole 'varmint' thing. It's not a biological or legal definition so it must be some kind of justification for killing animals.

Can you provide me with numbers for coyote and wolf attacks? Obviously wolves have been hunted almost to extinction so the numbers are going to be miniscule for the last hundred years or so. Perhaps there are historical numbers you can provide?

And I thought the gun fanatics where bad, what an emotional response.
You even destroyed your own argument.

Varmint is a word.

Honestly the depth of ignorance on these and other issues is a big reason America is in trouble. Matches our very low educational level.
PracticalMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:39 PM   #74
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
And I thought the gun fanatics where bad, what an emotional response.
You even destroyed your own argument.

Varmint is a word.

Honestly the depth of ignorance on these and other issues is a big reason America is in trouble. Matches our very low educational level.
You'll have of course noticed in the wiki you posted, that 'varmint' is mostly used in Appalachia and somewhat in the nearby states. As such, it is a regional colloquialism, in other words not a word used in standard English.

I grew up in the upper plains, have family throughout the Midwest and have lived in the west all my adult life. I've never heard the word used by anyone other than Yosemite Sam.

While Appalachia certainly is viewed romantically by certain people, most people think of the movie Deliverance when they hear of the place. Other than lending cartoonists fodder for the big screen, Appalachia has not done our language any favors.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:49 PM   #75
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Nonsense. Varmints has been part of the language since the first time Granny cooked some up on The Beverly Hillbillies.
rdowns is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues