Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Shredder-
macrumors regular

How do you actually sync Mac with Android phones?

Alright, I just left the iPhone clan and went for a Nexus 4. Still a loyal macbook user though - but the syncing... it aint workin?

Id like to transfer all my contacts & ical stuff from iphone to android. how is it done? I go to preferences, enter my gmail account... and nothing happens
Shredder- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:34 AM   #2
skippymac
macrumors 6502a

Have you got your contacts and calendars on your google account?

If not that's why nothing's happening.

What I suggest is exporting your calendars and contacts (there are guides on the web) and importing them into your google account. Then you can sync with your mac, ios, android and pretty much any platform you want

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder- View Post
from iphone to android.
If your stuff is only on your iphone at the mo you'll have to transfer it to your macbook first but that should be pretty painless
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:28 AM   #3
0dev
macrumors 68040

I just sync my contacts and calendars to Google. I don't bother with iCal or Address Book on the Mac anymore, no point.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:31 AM   #4
3bs
macrumors 603

You should check out SmoothSync for Cloud Calendar and SmoothSync for Cloud Contacts in the Play Store.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

I say bite the bullet and just switch to using google for contacts, calendar, and tasks. It works on any platform without workarounds.

I did that before I got my Nexus 4 and all my contacts and whatnot were synced within minutes of me turning it on for the first time.

Michael
Tinmania is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:47 AM   #6
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
You should check out SmoothSync for Cloud Calendar and SmoothSync for Cloud Contacts in the Play Store.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't really want to have to make the change over to Google apps when I'm still using my Mac and iPad.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:40 AM   #7
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't really want to have to make the change over to Google apps when I'm still using my Mac and iPad.
Because of the more cross platform nature of Google products, they will work much better on your Mac than your Apple products will work with your Android phone.

Its much better to put in the effort now and convert to Google products. Once this is done everything will be available to you whether on Linux, Mac, Windows, Android or iOS.
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:53 PM   #8
jamezr
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder- View Post
Alright, I just left the iPhone clan and went for a Nexus 4. Still a loyal macbook user though - but the syncing... it aint workin?

Id like to transfer all my contacts & ical stuff from iphone to android. how is it done? I go to preferences, enter my gmail account... and nothing happens
I just switched from an IP5 to an HTC One so just went through all this.
First step is to make sure all is synced with iTunes and backed up on the iphone.
Then install iSyncr
http://www.jrtstudio.com/iSyncr-iTunes-for-Android
Then install Rocket Player for Android
http://www.jrtstudio.com/Rocket-Play...d-Media-Player
I was able to sync all my music and playlists this way and it has worked great!
As others have pointed out the best way to sync calendar and contacts in Android is through Google.... Hope this helps
Old May 6, 2013, 10:10 PM   #9
JasonMK
macrumors newbie

Synch Android with Mac via Google

The problem with using Google for synchronizing contacts comes if you have a lot of contacts on your Mac (I have over 3,000). If I want to delete my contacts in Google - maybe I want to start over or use a new set of contacts - Google will only let me delete 250 contacts at a time, forcing me to repeat select and delete over 12 times. What a waste of time! There ought to be a Edit/Select All/Delete feature in Google. There isn't. Free is good, poor user features is not.
JasonMK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:03 AM   #10
theuserjohnny
macrumors 6502

I just sync'd all my stuff via google. Music went onto the google music player (after converting), all my contacts are transfered onto google. It's actually a lot easier since I can access anything anywhere by just logging onto my google account. For email I just use the yahoo app and it works to my usage.
Google Nexus 4 16GB
theuserjohnny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:18 AM   #11
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMK View Post
The problem with using Google for synchronizing contacts comes if you have a lot of contacts on your Mac (I have over 3,000). If I want to delete my contacts in Google - maybe I want to start over or use a new set of contacts - Google will only let me delete 250 contacts at a time, forcing me to repeat select and delete over 12 times. What a waste of time! There ought to be a Edit/Select All/Delete feature in Google. There isn't. Free is good, poor user features is not.
This is like a 4 second process on my mac. Open Contacts, command-A, delete. Done. (Naturally I would backup or export them before doing something like that.) Why are you trying to do that in a web interface?

Michael
Tinmania is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices