Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:46 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad Talk 'Jobs' at Macworld

Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad kicked off the Macworld/iWorld conference in San Francisco this morning, talking about their new feature film 'Jobs' that premiered at Sundance. Kutcher plays the iconic Jobs, while Gad takes on the role of Steve Wozniak.

The Next Web wrote up much of the conversation, including this part about how Steve Jobs affected Kutcher:
Quote:
"Steve believed it was possible to do something impossible," says Kutcher, alluding to the third thing that he took away from the film. He made reference to [a] famous quote that Jobs gave in an interview.

Kutcher says that this stuck with him. "When I heard that," says Kutcher, "he was talking to me, and he was talking to you. He was saying 'don't settle' for what life gives you, make life better."
And this, addressing criticisms aimed at the movie, including from Steve Wozniak himself:
Quote:
"There will always be debates about what we got right and what we got wrong," says Gad, "but if I had a chance to sit down with him I'd explain that it was done with the utmost love, admiration and respect. And I hope when he sees it...in its entirety, that he can understand that."

"We weren't there," says Kutcher. "Part of it is, in filmmaking, you have to make a narrative that plays. If you look at the events of these guys' journey together, there were probably a lot of moments where there was nobody else there. You have to ride the arc of entertainment of the film and stay true to who the people were, how the people were and what the intent was."
'Jobs' premieres nationwide on April 19th.

Article Link: Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad Talk 'Jobs' at Macworld
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Mullerman
macrumors newbie

I would guess pitiful film.
Mullerman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:53 PM   #3
samcraig
macrumors G5

I agree about going along for the ride. However - it could be argued that the writers did have potential access to one of the parties involved in the scenarios where "no one else was there" to do some research.
samcraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

Kutcher is a legendary actor. I believe he has delved so deep into the role that Apple should actually hire him to revamp their aging product line. He may be a better Steve Jobs than Jobs himself was.
Puevlo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:56 PM   #5
dasmb
macrumors regular

"You know, we're going to make some mistakes along the way. But that's good -- at least decisions are being made along the way! When we make a mistake, we'll correct it."

Steve Jobs, 1997

Think about that while whining about inaccuracy, even obvious inaccuracy. Focus on -- is it a good film? Does it tell an interesting story in an interesting way? Did Kelso do a good Jobs? Looks pretty good to me so far, but what do I know.
dasmb is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:09 PM   #6
needfx
macrumors 68030

Visitor - Hi Ashton. Josh.
Ashton - Jobs, Jobs
Josh - Jobs
Visitor - What?

Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad Talk 'Jobs'
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:10 PM   #7
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

I wish the movie well.

Those that have read the official biography, watched One More Thing, and Pirates of Silicon Valley probably can point out the inaccuracies but maybe this movie is about bring more people into the Apple story than catering to people that have been following the store since 1984, or before.

Give it a chance. Bring your wife/husband/significant other that doesn't realize the impact the company has had on you. Maybe it will help them understand your passion for the company.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:12 PM   #8
madsci954
macrumors 68000

He took our Jobs!!!!
madsci954 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I hope they worked my suggestion into a scene: I wanted to see Kutcher/Jobs/Kelso sitting in 'the circle' sharing some grass with Woz, Bill Gates, and maybe Ballmer.

Ballmer could really use some.

Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:27 PM   #10
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
There is no mention of Xerox PARC where Apple got its graphical UI, and the Bill Gates relationship is nothing more than a one-sided phone call of Jobs yelling into the receiver.
lame
uknowimright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Daremo
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Daremo Send a message via Skype™ to Daremo
Or MAYBE, they could have sat down with Woz, listened to HIS story, and actually created an accurate movie...
Universal iOS app : Novembers Doom : The Wayfaring Chronicles
Daremo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Trius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daremo View Post
Or MAYBE, they could have sat down with Woz, listened to HIS story, and actually created an accurate movie...
THIS... Woz is still here.. Why are they talking like we could never know what really happened because we weren't there... Woz was there.
Trius is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Rocco83
macrumors regular

You could take the egomaniacal Jobs version of the story and spin it into a movie adding what you want along the way since he isn't here to correct the mistakes.

or

You could take the egomaniacal Woz version of the story and NOT spin it into a movie adding what you want along the way since he IS here to correct the mistakes.

Either way it is a loss for true fans of the story and how they came along. Being that half the fans of Apple are hipsters who will only like the movie ironically it was just easier for them to change what they want and pander to what the broad public wants to think is the way it happened.
Rocco83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:18 PM   #14
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daremo View Post
I believe they tried that, and he wasn't interested. Instead, he chose to sit down with Sony about the movie coming out later this year.
TimUSCA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:37 PM   #15
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know how the other film is going? Is there a script yet? Casting rumours?

This one just seems like a movie of the week. Maybe something that would be on lifetime. Maybe I'd watch it late at night on netflix if I'm really bored.
dazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:37 PM   #16
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Who cares, why is this even on the front page?
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:37 PM   #17
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:57 PM   #18
Rot'nApple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
He took our Jobs!!!!
He's doing the Jobs Americans won't do!
/
/
/
Rot'nApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:35 PM   #19
PantherCreek
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post
He's doing the Jobs Americans won't do!
/
/
/
I think he was talking about this:

http://youtu.be/nWNho8g0lsU

Last edited by PantherCreek; Feb 1, 2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: fixed youtube link
PantherCreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:39 PM   #20
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

...and in the end its just a movie. The same way all the other "Jobs" and "Apple" movies that are out there, this just happens to have a big name attached to it.

And honestly Kutcher is right, its entertainment and im sure there were a tremendous amount of boring things during the duration of the early years at Apple...so they compounded them into nice events.
I dont know why Woz is getting up in arms about it, if he wants to make a movie about Apple and all that, I'm sure he has more than enough power, money, connections, and resources to make it happen.

should be entertaining. and MAYBE someone at apple will watch it and think well hell we're not doing much innovation anymore, maybe we should connect to our roots and wakeup...
ThirteenXIII is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:49 PM   #21
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMI0001 View Post
I wish the movie well.

Those that have read the official biography, watched One More Thing, and Pirates of Silicon Valley probably can point out the inaccuracies but maybe this movie is about bring more people into the Apple story than catering to people that have been following the store since 1984, or before.

Give it a chance. Bring your wife/husband/significant other that doesn't realize the impact the company has had on you. Maybe it will help them understand your passion for the company.
Or maybe not.

----------

Saw the trailer. It's a TV movie of the week kind of thing. So if you like movies made for TV you're in for a treat. If not...Read the book.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:56 PM   #22
robanga
macrumors 68000

Sometimes real life is not that entertaining.

I refer you to "reality television" as an example.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:13 PM   #23
davie18
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmb View Post
"You know, we're going to make some mistakes along the way. But that's good -- at least decisions are being made along the way! When we make a mistake, we'll correct it."

Steve Jobs, 1997

Think about that while whining about inaccuracy, even obvious inaccuracy. Focus on -- is it a good film? Does it tell an interesting story in an interesting way? Did Kelso do a good Jobs? Looks pretty good to me so far, but what do I know.
Exactly this.

For example after watching the Social Network, I think it probably wasn't a very accurate representation of events. To start with, Mark Zuckerberg certainly doesn't seem as social and sharp on the tongue in real life as he does in the movie. However, it was a movie that I enjoyed watching so I didn't really care.

I just hope I think the same about this movie after watching it.
davie18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:38 PM   #24
Rocko1
Banned

"Steve believed it was possible to do something impossible,"

This is incorrect. Steve believed it was possible to do something perceived as impossible.

If it was impossible, no one could do it, no matter how driven.
Rocko1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:59 PM   #25
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
..Because without the man that this film focuses on this website wouldn't even exist.

Not what I meant. I'm a fan of Steve Jobs like many others here. However, I'm no fan of Ashton Kutcher.

Pirates of Silicon Valley seems like it has an edge on this movie story wise. The only thing redeeming about jOBS (or however they want to call it now) is its production value.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion