Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:56 AM   #1
NYR99
macrumors 6502a

Foscam Help (Possibly Airport Extreme Related)

Hello,

Is anyone familiar with setting up Foscam IP cameras? I have set up a few at my parents with no problem. They have a regular D-Link router. I have setup port forwarding on the router and a DDNS this way the camera can be accessed outside of the LAN (like on an iPhone for instance). When I am viewing their camera on my iPhone (outside of their LAN) is updated every second and pan and tilt commands are sent fluidly.

Now...

I setup the same type of Foscam at my house, but I have an Airport Extreme. Everything went well, I forwarded the port and set up a DDNS. When I log in to the camera while on my LAN, everything is fine.

Here is the problem...

When I log into the camera outside of my LAN, it is very laggy. It only updates about once every 15-30 seconds. Sometimes it won't even connect. Pan and tilt commands sometimes get stuck, causing it to pan or tilt all the way to one direction, even though I tapped the button once.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I am guessing it has something to do with my Airport Extreme.

Regards,
Tom
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Shaydy
macrumors newbie

Sounds like a bandwidth issue. Is there any way you could ping your parents house, then your house from a third location and compare latency?
Shaydy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:47 PM   #3
NYR99
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. The problem actually resolved itself after a few days. Still not completely sure what caused the initial problem, but all's well now.

Thanks again.
NYR99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:00 PM   #4
MNkid
macrumors member

Completely unrelated but hoping you can help. I have 3 foscams all work great when hardwired. I've given them all DHCP reservations when hardwired but when I try to go wireless the reservation is lost. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Erich
MNkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:16 PM   #5
NYR99
macrumors 6502a

Did you configure the wireless settings for the foscam through the web app while still connected to the router via cat5? You have to first select your SSID from the list and input your password after pressing 'scan'.

Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:42 PM   #6
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNkid View Post
Completely unrelated but hoping you can help. I have 3 foscams all work great when hardwired. I've given them all DHCP reservations when hardwired but when I try to go wireless the reservation is lost. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Erich
The wired and wireless NICs on each camera will each have their own MAC address. So if you're reserving an IP address (static DHCP) via MAC address, you'll need to enter both the wifi MAC and the wired MAC if you're going to go back and forth between wifi/wired.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:03 AM   #7
MNkid
macrumors member

Thanks guys got it working! It was the different MACs that i was missing.

Thanks
MNkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking