Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:52 PM   #1
rex3
macrumors member

Question Why is java killing my battery life? rMBP

I've been plagued by very short battery life on my rMBP, and I've traced it down to java. Java is always using 100-120% of my CPU in Activity Monitor. It's a root process, not affected by switching users. I don't have any idea what to do about this. It continues even if I disable java in Safari.

Thanks!
rex3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:56 PM   #2
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Can you share a screenshot from system monitor ? What software you have installed ? Something known running in Java and have some"little helper" installed?
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:14 PM   #3
rex3
macrumors member

I'm not running anything that I know of that would explain this. Here's the screenshot, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	java cpu usage screenshot (1).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	382549  
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:15 PM   #4
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a

Java tends to use the dedicated GPU, so more power drain.
locoboi187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Stvwndr219
macrumors 6502

what happens if you kill the java process?

my guess is that you have some software that has a dependency on java that is triggering java there is a runaway java process that is not on the activity monitor screened shown.

i.e. there is some java functionality in openoffice and other open source programs - so you might want to start there and see if there are any other possibilities.

Worse comes to worse, try backing up and restoring - though it might just restore the same behavior. check your startup as well if this is happening right after boot - it could be a background process while starting up.
Stvwndr219 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:10 PM   #6
rex3
macrumors member

Thanks, everyone. I killed the process and restarted, and I can't recreate the situation. This seems strange to me because I restarted several times without killing the process and it kept coming back. In other words, I have no idea what caused it, but all's well now. Back up to 6 hours!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Krevnik
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex3 View Post
Thanks, everyone. I killed the process and restarted, and I can't recreate the situation. This seems strange to me because I restarted several times without killing the process and it kept coming back. In other words, I have no idea what caused it, but all's well now. Back up to 6 hours!
It's possible CrashPlan was part of the problem. It us fundamentally a Java app. When switching to a new machine, depending on how you migrated things, it could have exposed a bug in CrashPlan that ate CPU.

I had to tweak things a bit myself when migrating because of CrashPlan.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:43 PM   #8
rex3
macrumors member

I just noticed my battery life plummeting again, and this time the culprit was the CrashPlan menu bar, which was using up 100% of the CPU. It makes me wonder if CrashPlan hasn't been the culprit the whole time. I did migrate from a Time Machine backup when I got my new rMBP. Can you tell me what you did to tweak things so CrashPlan behaved?

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:35 PM   #9
BruceJ1
macrumors newbie

Crashplan misbehaving

After suffering with chronic battery life problems for several months, I removed Crashplan from my system. My Java CPU runaway/battery life problems are gone! My macbook runs much cooler, and I havn't had any problems since. Battery life has jumped from 3 hours to 6+ hours.
BruceJ1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:18 PM   #10
CarreraGuy
macrumors regular

CrashPlan?!? what a name.

And careful if you are a developer who uses the Eclipse IDE - it's also Java based and your free memory will be eclipsed by used memory.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:59 PM   #11
fins831
macrumors 6502a

Same with netbeans. All java based. I use parallels and visual studios even though I detest Microsoft. I just prefer it since I get every version for free.
fins831 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:46 AM   #12
beautifulcoder
macrumors regular

My word. Java sucks.
beautifulcoder is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro