Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
This would be exciting, except I already get HBO on my TV...

...by turning on my TV and cable box. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen The Sopranos or The Wire.

Live HBO channels do not often air The Sopranos or The Wire.

I want to watch The Sopranos or The Wire without having to purchase iTunes seasons or the Blu-Ray discs.

HBO Go lets me watch The Sopranos and The Wire without having to make extra purchases.

The point of this story: I want HBO Go on the Apple TV.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
And... by the way, the main article states that only Netflix and Hulu are available. This is not true. You can also stream sporting events from several leagues.

Only non-local games. Regional coverage and primetime games are blocked, which means cutting the cable isn't a viable option in the slightest.

Apple is nowhere close to getting me to cutting the cable, and people who think that purchasing channels a la carte is better for them don't understand how content creators work. ESPN isn't going to sell you ESPN; it is going to sell you the ESPN Package: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, LHN.....for a higher price. A lower priced option won't be available.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This would be exciting, except I already get HBO on my TV...

...by turning on my TV and cable box. :rolleyes:

Yep. The only way this do any good is if you can sign up for HBO via the app without having cable.

Say $20 a month or if you pay by the year it comes out to $15 a month. I would do it. For Showtime too.

----------

...while still giving the required satt or cable company their sub fee too. Some people seem to be overlooking that little detail in the story. It's not kill the cable bill and get HBO on :apple:TV. It's keep paying for cable and add Apple on top.

Nothing has suggested you have to pay Apple anything. It appears to be the same iOS app just in the Apple TV box at this point. With perhaps an option to pay direct if you don't have cable

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Meanwhile in good old Europe the Apple TV remains not much more than a cute black hockey puck (+ an expensive airplay dongle). Too bad we don't play hockey that much on the continent...

iRalph

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2012
Miami, Fl
This sounds great, but wouldn't it be better if Apple introduced and Apple TV App store? I'm not asking for Angry Birds or anything.. But it would be a great way to get content like: Amazon Prime, Spotify, watch TWiT live and so many others.. I know Airplay is possible, but I don't always want to have my iPad or computer around...

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Look, I think it's pretty clear what is happening with the Apple TV.

Comcast will never sign on to the idea of Apple controlling the box.

The only thing Apple can do at this point is continue pushing the Apple TV to test what works and what doesn't overall.

I honestly believe Apple would like to push out a sort of AppStore concept for the Apple TV in terms of content and it would be pay-per-channel per month along with small to large bundles. You could basically create your own package of channels and that to me would be "cracking" the TV.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Meanwhile in good old Europe the Apple TV remains not much more than a cute black hockey puck (+ an expensive airplay dongle). Too bad we don't play hockey that much on the continent...

Blame the content providers. Just as HBO etc only allow their apps to work tied to a US cable company, BBC does the same shutting us out. I'd love to see Sherlock etc when they first air and I'd happily pay to do so. And yes I agree that it is insane they aren't allowing such things at least locally to be on the Apple TV if you have the proper subscription.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
The beauty of HBO Go is having all the series, all the episodes and movies they have had/are currently playing. I couldn't turn on my tv and go to HBO to watch Entourage if I wanted right at this moment unless it was currently playing.

Unless you have Directv where you can do exactly that.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
The beauty of HBO Go is having all the series, all the episodes and movies they have had/are currently playing. I couldn't turn on my tv and go to HBO to watch Entourage if I wanted right at this moment unless it was currently playing.

My cable company gives me HBO on demand.

----------

you clearly dont understand the benefits of HBOgo

And they are...?

----------

I want to watch The Sopranos or The Wire without having to purchase iTunes seasons or the Blu-Ray discs.

HBO Go lets me watch The Sopranos and The Wire without having to make extra purchases.

See above.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Unless you have Directv where you can do exactly that.

So HBO OnDemand for DirecTV has every episode of The Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones, True Blood, Da Ali G Show, Sex and the City, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, The Larry Sanders Show, and more?

I'm honestly asking. I have Uverse, and my parents have FiOS, and we both only get a few episodes of select shows, and most episodes in the current season of current shows.

----------

My cable company gives me HBO on demand.

See above.

HBO OnDemand =/ HBO's entire library of programming.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
So HBO OnDemand for DirecTV has every episode of The Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones, True Blood, Da Ali G Show, Sex and the City, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, The Larry Sanders Show, and more?

I'm honestly asking. I have Uverse, and my parents have FiOS, and we both only get a few episodes of select shows, and most episodes in the current season of current shows.

----------

HBO OnDemand =/ HBO's entire library of programming.

Comcast does.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011

The Sopranos and The Wire you say?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.