Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nacrawley190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Raleigh NC
Okay so I think I am going to buy an 11 inch MBA base model 64 gig SSD 4 gigs of ram etc. Yes I'm going with the cheapest possible set up because I want a mac notebook. It seems like a good fit for me. Youtube, facebook, web surfing, word processing. very simple stuff.

My Question

How difficult is it to set up some sort of network where I can use my Desktop's, a PowerMac G5, HDD space and optical drive.

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
Sharing files from the G5 is easy. You just tick the file sharing box under sharing in System preferences.

Sharing the optical drive will depend on what OS you have on the G5. I'm not 100% convinced Leopard (the latest possible) will run the DVD sharing software Apple provides.

You will have to have the G5 awake and running in order to access it. Either set it to never sleep from energy saver control panel or look into WakeOnLAN.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Yeah, you really don't "set up" any type of network. You just check the box on your computers for "File Sharing" and they will show up as shared network devices on all of your computers.

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Here's a question - Say I'm at work with my MBP, and a colleague of mine brings his MBP in as well and we both have file sharing allowed. Can we both access each others files, or does the file sharing only work with those devices that are connected to specific networks, etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.