Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:43 PM   #1
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

What's your music/audio setup, and what do you use it for?

Lots of users in here, just wondering what your setup is like, and what you do with it.

I've shifted from recording bands/artists (still do some) to scoring.

I've got an unorthodox setup in that I'm not doing things "the way" you're supposed to.

Most people that run VEP5 use its built-in ethernet (requires gigabit) client, then use the host on another machine. The problem here, is that when you're in a production environment, you don't really have time to troubleshoot. If Logic crashes, it could be logic, something to do with memory, something to do w/ VEP5 client, core audio, OR, it could be something on the host end. It's too much to go wrong.

So... I run my MBP like a 1990's atari. I have 256 midi channels setup through 16 channels of MidiOverLan (musiclab.com) - and everything goes out via ethernet to my slaves, which are running 64-bit VEP5 standalone (not client, not host, not server etc). The only thing that puts much strain on the 'master' computer is playing video, which means.. not much strain at all.

In essence, my two mac pros are like old akai s900 samplers on super-steriods. All they do is run VEP5 and host up audio, which comes back into my laptop via ADAT lightpipe.

Latency is very small but it's there - but i'm able to work with it when my advantages are:
1. *when* logic crashes, i don't have to re-load ANY samples.
2. when i'm finished with my work, i put the sample computers to sleep. upon wake, everything "just works"
3. when i start a new project, i dont have to go hunting or loading sounds. It's all ready to go.

On the hardware side, I have 3 motu 828's (funnily enough, a mk1, 2 and 3) which are clocked to my mytek stereo96 A/D converter (which has a fantastic low-jitter clock) via BNC. The mk1 is clocked by SPDIF as it has no BNC connector.

When I have to record, one of the lightpipe connections gets switch over to my input gear which includes a Lucid 2448 (its old but it still sounds great!), a couple of api512 pre's and a great river pre. compressors include a FMR PBC-6a and borrowed distressors if i need more channels. Microphones are whatever I can get my hands on, usually something decent.

Monitoring comes by a pair of BM6A's and "junky monitors" by the Behringer (omg, i own and use Behringer gear!) auratone copies.

There's probably a bunch of stuff i'm missing but that's the gist of it.

Happy to discuss how my setup works if anyone wants more info.

So, how and what do you guys work on?

Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Gofre
macrumors regular

My home rig:

Mac Mini>>FiiO E17>>Arcam Alpha 8 are he primary components, driving either a pair of Wharfedale 9.1 speakers or Philips Fidelio L1 headphones.

Mobile rig:

Modded 5th Gen iPod Video>>JDSLabs C421 portable amplifier. My current portable headphones of choice are the Sennheiser HD25-1 II for on-ears and Shure SE215 Limited Edition IEMs.

Nothing noteworthy gets done with my setups, just good old media consumption [=
Gofre is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:20 PM   #3
KimJongEun
macrumors newbie

Purely for consumption. I live in an apartment so nice floorstanders are a no-go.

This set up of iMac -> Audinst USB Dac & Headphone amp -> Sennheiser HD598 is very nice indeed.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Destroysall
macrumors 65816

I'm building a room to use as a home studio, but that will not be finished until Fall. For now what I primarily use is my headphone listening setup.
Click image for larger version

Name:	head-fi setup.png
Views:	25
Size:	628.0 KB
ID:	393873
Destroysall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:33 PM   #5
fastlanephil
macrumors 6502a

I'm just using a 2011 27" iMac i5 8GB 1TB HD and a 13" 2009 MacBook Pro I just them for composing as a hobby right now.

I have a Yamaha digital piano and a Axion 49 2nd gen. for keyboard controllers. A Tascam USB audio/MIDI interface a Shure 58 Beta and a cheap vocal mic. I also have a Fender Tele, a Martin D-16 and a cheap lapsteel. I'm thinking of getting another Martin D-35 which I use to play. I use the comfy pro model AKG closed back headphones but want a pair of open back also.

I have a pair of Event TR-8 monitors that I bought used. I might trade those in for a smaller near field monitors as I moved a woman in and I'm working in a small office space now and not my living room with the nice view. You know how it goes.

Update: I moved my monitors and now they sound much better. It would cost $900 to replace them.

I use Metro 7 as my main DAW and I also have Studio One Producer. I have most of the Garritan libraries, most of the IK Multimedia libraries including Amplitude 3 and CSR, three pianos and some other instruments by SampleTekk, Ni's full Kontakt with the factory library, LASS First Chair, EWQLSO Silver and Spaces. I can't remember what else.

I'm going to install Windows 7 on a Boot Camp partition this weekend so I can use some Windows only software like Clone Ensemble which works great for creating a chorus with lyrics if you sing well and have a decent voice. I'm also interested in Avanna, the new Vocaloid3.

I'm interested in going the VE Pro route also but I'll have to look into a modification of it also.

Here's a link to a Avanna demo video. It's really pretty amazing for a Vocaloid. There are other better audio demos available fronm resellers like Best Service.

Avanna

Last edited by fastlanephil; Feb 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
fastlanephil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:51 PM   #6
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

I do most of my music composition and arranging on my Yamaha Motif XF8. I also have a Yamaha CP33 I use for practicing and gigs. I use a Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 with a pair of Yamaha HS80Ms at home, and a MOTU UltraLite MK3 for live performances. I mix and master with Pro Tools 10 and I use Apple Mainstage when I play in musical theatre pit orchestras. Computer is a rMBP.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio