Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:54 PM   #1
preyan
macrumors regular

Wait...so all we're getting is more memory in iPad 5?

Unless I missed something? So this is the next generation...just with memory? Does that even count as a new generation? Is so, it's a massive fail for me!
preyan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by preyan View Post
Unless I missed something? So this is the next generation...just with memory? Does that even count as a new generation? Is so, it's a massive fail for me!
No it is not a new generation.
Spink10 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:05 PM   #3
smileyface
macrumors member

If Apple is releasing a new version of the 4 with 128GB of memory,I think we can kiss goodbye any notion of a March release of the ipad5.
smileyface is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:16 PM   #4
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
This is the same generation.

Can you read?

Apple specifically said it's the 4th generation iPad.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:27 PM   #5
temna
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyface View Post
If Apple is releasing a new version of the 4 with 128GB of memory,I think we can kiss goodbye any notion of a March release of the ipad5.
Duh!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:41 PM   #6
bonskovsky
Banned

iPad

It's the most expansive iPad yet.
bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:50 PM   #7
brand
macrumors 68040

The fifth generation iPad, the best third generation iPad yet.
brand is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:33 AM   #8
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

I can't even fill up my 16GB because i use it as a Tablet, not Laptop.
raccoonboy is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:07 AM   #9
rcp27
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Everyone tells me that a tablet is good for media consumption. That means listinging to music, watching movies and TV shows and reading books/newspapers/magazines. The only way I could do any of that on a 16 GB model is if I stream everything. If I leave my home, I am reliant on mobile data. I live in a small country in Europe, and if I cross the border (only about 12 km from where I live), data roaming costs an arm and a leg. If I travel by air, non-locally stored data is inaccessible. Any media I want to consume has to be stored on the device when I walk out my front door.

Remember mp3 players before the iPod? You had to decide before you left home which one album you would load onto it, because that's all it could store. Movies and TV shows on an iPad are in the same situation. I want an iPad to be to videos what the iPod was to music. I want my whole video library in my iPad wherever I go. 1000 songs in your pocket? I want 1000 movies in my bag.
rcp27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:30 AM   #10
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone actually think there still a chance of a March ipad 5 release.
Samtb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:22 AM   #11
ougum
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Nope. Ain't gonna happen.
ougum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:34 AM   #12
ZuneMan?
Banned

Quote:
No, they will release the new mini instead.
ZuneMan? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:44 AM   #13
Internaut
macrumors 6502a

I think a lot of what Apple is doing is down to the availability (and refinement) of the technology to do what Apple wants to do. If the ability to make a thinner/lighter* iPad 3/4 at an acceptable price point exists now, they will be looking at doing this now.

* The 3 was, quite frankly a disappointment to me thanks extra bit of thickness and weight. Yes, I know it's not a lot but the 2 is just right for me. Something with the 4's oooomph and resolution, with the 2's size and weight would be perfect for my hands.
Internaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:52 AM   #14
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
I think a lot of what Apple is doing is down to the availability (and refinement) of the technology to do what Apple wants to do. If the ability to make a thinner/lighter* iPad 3/4 at an acceptable price point exists now, they will be looking at doing this now.

* The 3 was, quite frankly a disappointment to me thanks extra bit of thickness and weight. Yes, I know it's not a lot but the 2 is just right for me. Something with the 4's oooomph and resolution, with the 2's size and weight would be perfect for my hands.
The 2 and 4 (I have both in my house) are practically the same weight and size. I don't get your point?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:24 AM   #15
Internaut
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
The 2 and 4 (I have both in my house) are practically the same weight and size. I don't get your point?
The small difference is still a difference. If that's fine with you, that would not automatically mean it's fine with me.
Internaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:34 AM   #16
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuneMan? View Post
No, they will release the new mini instead.
Awesome. Can I see that memo Apple sent you confirming that?
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:22 PM   #17
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Many people put off purchasing for a new release so it could be a way to keep sales up.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:28 PM   #18
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Of course its not the next generation.

----------

Quote:
Not without a March Apple Event.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:22 PM   #19
elchorizo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Yeah, cause nobody ever consumes media at a time when they can't reach the cloud O_o

Or maybe you mean to imply that a "tablet" isn't for consuming media. In which case.... O_o O_o
elchorizo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:31 PM   #20
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post

Can you read?

Apple specifically said it's the 4th generation iPad.

My my, you must have been treated quite badly as a child. Poor fellow.
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:37 PM   #21
temna
macrumors regular

The mini is too hot for a March release. The 128gb ipad 4 is *NOT* the ipad 5. Got it! Read me lips, there will NOT be an ipad release in March. And if there is, it would be a 128gb ipad mini gen 1. Kapesh?!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchorizo View Post
Yeah, cause nobody ever consumes media at a time when they can't reach the cloud O_o

Or maybe you mean to imply that a "tablet" isn't for consuming media. In which case.... O_o O_o
And considering the high cost of data in North America, the cloud is not important. Storage space is. Hell, if they released a 8tb ipad, I'd be ALL over it.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:49 PM   #22
EthanNixon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp27 View Post
Everyone tells me that a tablet is good for media consumption. That means listinging to music, watching movies and TV shows and reading books/newspapers/magazines. The only way I could do any of that on a 16 GB model is if I stream everything. If I leave my home, I am reliant on mobile data. I live in a small country in Europe, and if I cross the border (only about 12 km from where I live), data roaming costs an arm and a leg. If I travel by air, non-locally stored data is inaccessible. Any media I want to consume has to be stored on the device when I walk out my front door.

Remember mp3 players before the iPod? You had to decide before you left home which one album you would load onto it, because that's all it could store. Movies and TV shows on an iPad are in the same situation. I want an iPad to be to videos what the iPod was to music. I want my whole video library in my iPad wherever I go. 1000 songs in your pocket? I want 1000 movies in my bag.
When you watch all of those 1000 movies on your "trip", let me know. I've owned every iPad, and some of its competitors, and I've never used more than 16GB of data. I realize there are some people who will use more than 16GB of data, but those people can also get away with 16GB by consolidating their data, very easily.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:38 PM   #23
Noctilux.95
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Possible, in 2014.
Noctilux.95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:55 PM   #24
mfr1340
macrumors regular

new, new ipad specs

This is a report I read on the new ipad. They are saying that it comes with 2gig's of ram. I checked with apple on line and they didn't have info on the Ram

Everything else about the iPad announced Tuesday is the same as the current fourth-generation models: a 9.7-inch Retina display, a dual-core A6X processor, a FaceTime HD camera, 2 gigabtyes of RAM and an estimated 10 hours of battery life.
mfr1340 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:58 PM   #25
temna
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr1340 View Post
This is a report I read on the new ipad. They are saying that it comes with 2gig's of ram. I checked with apple on line and they didn't have info on the Ram

Everything else about the iPad announced Tuesday is the same as the current fourth-generation models: a 9.7-inch Retina display, a dual-core A6X processor, a FaceTime HD camera, 2 gigabtyes of RAM and an estimated 10 hours of battery life.
No, the only change will be the 128gb storage.

Last edited by temna; Feb 1, 2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Oops
temna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad