Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mauz is a Kickstarter project that is designed to attach to the iPhone's dock, turning it into a device that is able to control computers using gestures and visual cues.

In other words, the Mauz morphs an iPhone into a computer mouse. The main product consists of a small dongle that plugs into the phone to function as a laser sensor.

mauz.png
The dongle links to the Mauz app, which turns on the iPhone's front-facing camera to allow for gestures. For example, swiping a hand over the camera translates to a scroll, allowing for browsing without physical touch. Mauz also uses the iPhone's gyroscope, which allows it to function as a 3-D mouse, and in practice, it turns out that it works similarly to the Nintendo Wii remote.

Though the Mauz can be used in mid-air, it is also designed to work as a standard mouse. Set on a desktop, it has a left/right button and a scroll wheel.

Mauz connects to the phone using Wi-Fi, but the company behind the device, Spicebox, is currently working on a Bluetooth version as well. Mauz comes with an SDK that will allow developers to integrate Mauz into different apps.

Though the Mauz is designed solely for the iPhone 4/4S, Spicebox is planning to release an iPhone 5 version. Mauz is still very much in development, as an active Kickstarter project. Currently, the company has earned 10 percent of its 150,000 goal.

Backers who pledge at least $45 can get a Mauz. The Kickstarter page lists June 2013 as a ship date, but Spicebox expects the unit to enter beta in April. The iPhone 5 version of the Mauz has a listed ship date of August 2013.

Article Link: Macworld/iWorld 2013: Mauz Turns the iPhone into a Gesture-Controlled Mouse

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
This is a brilliant concept. But I can already tell it will frustrate people when they accidentally press one of the shortcut buttons.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
I'm probably missing something, but what does this do that requires extra hardware and not just an app? Looks pretty cool though.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
And I would use this in place of a magic trackpad because... why? I love my Magic Trackpad... about the only thing that could make me love it more would be if it had some kind of gesture to snap my windows to fill up half the screen (like Windows 7... hate to admit it, but that's a freaking sweet productivity features.)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I've had something like this on my iPhone before, except not as advanced... It pretty much just turned the iPhone into a trackpad.

Me too--but this makes me think it would be neat to also have a gyro0based app, making your iPhone work like an AirMouse for presentations.

(The camera/gesture stuff could be neat as well.)

I'm probably missing something, but what does this do that requires extra hardware and not just an app? Looks pretty cool though.

I guess the hardware/laser is to let you set your iPhone on a desk, using it as an actual mouse, as opposed to as a trackpad or AirMouse. (Apparently without physical click buttons/scroller, though. I'd have thought those would be nice to add if it's already hardware.)

For me, a trackpad is just about as good as a mouse, and doesn't need a desk, so I'd favor a software-only solution. But conventional mice do have their place, so... why not?

Sounds like this lets your iPhone be a trackpad AND a mouse AND a gyro/airmouse AND a gesture (camera) device. Not sure if I need all those combined, but it's interesting.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
And I would use this in place of a magic trackpad because... why? I love my Magic Trackpad... about the only thing that could make me love it more would be if it had some kind of gesture to snap my windows to fill up half the screen (like Windows 7... hate to admit it, but that's a freaking sweet productivity features.)

Check out Moom. Sounds like it's exactly what you need.
It's a fantastic app that can let you at least set a keyboard shortcut to do that, I'm not sure about a gesture, but possibly.

Count me as one of those wondering what exactly this does that I can't already do with an app?

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011

In the Mac App Store there is a app called Cinch that let's you do this. Check it out. I use it all the time.

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California

I use Windows 7 at work, and found that that feature was quite useful as well. I bought "A Better Snap Tool" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580?mt=12) because it mimics the functionality of the Windows snap, but adds some extra features like quarter screen snapping etc.

As far as the product demo, the response on screen to the motions performed seemed a bit choppy. I've used a lot of iPhone based mouse programs that communicate over wifi, and generally the experience has been positive except with regards to scrolling. However they are emulating the scroll command always seems to be less smooth than the native scrolling with a trackpad or mouse... But we shall see. At any rate, it seems like an interesting combination of control techniques.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009

It's probably in part for the classic mouse function, when the phone is on the table and you move it like a mouse. The rear camera would not see much, as it would be dark and it's not meant to be able to focus on such a close distance anyway, plus its frame rate would only allow for very laggy movement.

But then I have no idea why it's needed for the other functions too, such as 3D (the iPhone has an accelerometer) or gestures… Maybe it's more precise and responsive or something…

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
I use Windows 7 at work, and found that that feature was quite useful as well. I bought "A Better Snap Tool" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580?mt=12) because it mimics the functionality of the Windows snap, but adds some extra features like quarter screen snapping etc.

I have been lurking for about a year now. I seriously appreciate the advice given on this site. I have desired the Aeor feature on Mac for a while now and I am sure it has probably been mentioned before, but I never saw it before yesterday. Anyways, thank you, thank you, thank you! That app is awesome!!! :D

Now back to lurking...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.