Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I recently installed Office 2011 on my Mac. Now when I start the machine an additional 7 icons are now shown in the dock. It's getting quite crowded. How do I change what applications are shown in the dock during startup?

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I recently installed Office 2011 on my Mac. Now when I start the machine an additional 7 icons are now shown in the dock. It's getting quite crowded. How do I change what applications are shown in the dock during startup?

What do you mean change them during startup? You can customize your dock at any time by clicking and dragging an icon off or onto the dock.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
What do you mean change them during startup? You can customize your dock at any time by clicking and dragging an icon off or onto the dock.

I would like to change which icons appear on the dock when the computer is first started. I'm hoping to not have to drag the icon off the dock every time I restart the computer.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I would like to change which icons appear on the dock when the computer is first started. I'm hoping to not have to drag the icon off the dock every time I restart the computer.

That's not normal behavior. Your dock should keep your saved preferences during a restart…

Try removing the dock's preferences then then customize it back to how you like it then try and restart and see if it is fixed

To remove the dock's preference file, switch to Finder, then select "go to folder" in the "Go" menu. Then type in the box…

Code:
/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist
replacing "yourusername" with the name of your user respectively. Then delete that file and log out or restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.