Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
My MBA will no longer charge my iPhone while it is sleeping. Before I use to be able to open up my MB, plug in my phone, close it and my phone would continue charging. But it no longer does this! Now about 5 seconds after closing my lid my phone stops charging.

I have been searching for a while over many different forums trying to find a solution but it seems like most people just say its not possible when I know for a fact that it is! When I first got my MBA I thought it was amazing that it had this feature and I would bring my MBA along with me while camping and use it as a charger for my phone. Considering I could get many full charges to my phone from my MBA's full charge.

Thank you in advance for any info because this was one of my favorite features of my MBA!

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
My MBA will no longer charge my iPhone while it is sleeping. Before I use to be able to open up my MB, plug in my phone, close it and my phone would continue charging. But it no longer does this! Now about 5 seconds after closing my lid my phone stops charging.

I have been searching for a while over many different forums trying to find a solution but it seems like most people just say its not possible when I know for a fact that it is! When I first got my MBA I thought it was amazing that it had this feature and I would bring my MBA along with me while camping and use it as a charger for my phone. Considering I could get many full charges to my phone from my MBA's full charge.

Thank you in advance for any info because this was one of my favorite features of my MBA!

Mine just started doing this as well, when I first got my Macbook I could do this same thing; Open it, plug in my iPhone, then close the lid and it would continue to charge. Now today it stopped doing that and shuts off charging after 10 seconds or so. Any reason why? :confused:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Upgraded to iOS6 recently, by any chance? I don't know if it's related to the problem at all, but if all you guys who are experiencing the problem have recently upgraded your phones it could be a bug in iOS6?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If this was a Windows machine I would tell you to simply go into Hardware configuration and make sure the USB ports do not power down when sleep. I don't know how to do that in OSX. Try googling "osx leave usb powered on."

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Mine works, as long as the MBA is plugged in.

Could it be *that* simple? <gasp> Apple doesn't want us to steal from John to pay Paul? What if one has a huge chest pain and must use phone? :D

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Well...

Could it be *that* simple? <gasp> Apple doesn't want us to steal from John to pay Paul? What if one has a huge chest pain and must use phone? :D

I suppose if it worked without the MBA being plugged in (while it's closed, anyway), you could wake up with a charged phone and a dead MBA, which may not at all be what you wanted.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Mine just started doing this as well, when I first got my Macbook I could do this same thing; Open it, plug in my iPhone, then close the lid and it would continue to charge. Now today it stopped doing that and shuts off charging after 10 seconds or so. Any reason why? :confused:

I don't know what I did but My MacBook can now charge my phone while it is sleeping again. I just forgot about it and one day it started doing it again. I hope yours starts working again soon

-Brandon

xStreame

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
It could possibly depend on the MBA's current battery percentage.

Over 50% -> able to charge
Under 50% -> unable to charge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.