Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Lotso
macrumors 6502

Recover an accidentally initialized drive

I accidentally plugged my Mac OSX external hard drive into a windows computer and initialized it. Is there any way to recover this data? Any program out there?

Please????
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

To retrieve files, you can use
Data Rescue 3 (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 99 USD) or
FileSalvage (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 89.95 USD).
DiskDrill - lets you recover data from HFS/HFS+, FAT, NTFS & other file systems right on your Mac., for free.
Also know, that you should immediately stop any writing processes to the actual HDD. If it is the same HDD as the one your operating system (OS) resides on, it is better to use an external HDD with Mac OS X on to boot from and install Data Rescue or FileSalvage onto to scan the HDD from which the data has been accidentally deleted.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Lotso
macrumors 6502

I've tried Data Rescue 3 trial at it seems to scan and find all of the files. I just can't cough up the 100$ for the license. I'm trying Disk Drill right now and seeing if that works.

Thanks for suggesting Disk Drill! I hope it works!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Darnit!
macrumors newbie

Any Luck?

I did the EXACT same thing! I can't afford to pay $100 for a license, but i can't use disk drill because it doesn't support OS X 10.4! Lotso, did you find any solution to your problem? I'm freakin out!
Darnit! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:41 AM   #5
Edie Brickell
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotso View Post
I accidentally plugged my Mac OSX external hard drive into a windows computer and initialized it. Is there any way to recover this data? Any program out there?
If you do not want to spend any penny for your recover then disk drill is good choice but no 100% data recovery guarantee. There are some good features in paid recovery programs which are lacking in disk drill like recover data with original file name and recovery of data upto 4 TB.
Edie Brickell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X