Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
Unless I missed something? So this is the next generation...just with memory? Does that even count as a new generation? Is so, it's a massive fail for me! :eek:

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
If Apple is releasing a new version of the 4 with 128GB of memory,I think we can kiss goodbye any notion of a March release of the ipad5.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Unless I missed something? So this is the next generation...just with memory? Does that even count as a new generation? Is so, it's a massive fail for me! :eek:

This is the same generation.

Can you read?

Apple specifically said it's the 4th generation iPad.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I can't even fill up my 16GB because i use it as a Tablet, not Laptop.

Everyone tells me that a tablet is good for media consumption. That means listinging to music, watching movies and TV shows and reading books/newspapers/magazines. The only way I could do any of that on a 16 GB model is if I stream everything. If I leave my home, I am reliant on mobile data. I live in a small country in Europe, and if I cross the border (only about 12 km from where I live), data roaming costs an arm and a leg. If I travel by air, non-locally stored data is inaccessible. Any media I want to consume has to be stored on the device when I walk out my front door.

Remember mp3 players before the iPod? You had to decide before you left home which one album you would load onto it, because that's all it could store. Movies and TV shows on an iPad are in the same situation. I want an iPad to be to videos what the iPod was to music. I want my whole video library in my iPad wherever I go. 1000 songs in your pocket? I want 1000 movies in my bag.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Does anyone actually think there still a chance of a March ipad 5 release.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
I think a lot of what Apple is doing is down to the availability (and refinement) of the technology to do what Apple wants to do. If the ability to make a thinner/lighter* iPad 3/4 at an acceptable price point exists now, they will be looking at doing this now.

* The 3 was, quite frankly a disappointment to me thanks extra bit of thickness and weight. Yes, I know it's not a lot but the 2 is just right for me. Something with the 4's oooomph and resolution, with the 2's size and weight would be perfect for my hands.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think a lot of what Apple is doing is down to the availability (and refinement) of the technology to do what Apple wants to do. If the ability to make a thinner/lighter* iPad 3/4 at an acceptable price point exists now, they will be looking at doing this now.

* The 3 was, quite frankly a disappointment to me thanks extra bit of thickness and weight. Yes, I know it's not a lot but the 2 is just right for me. Something with the 4's oooomph and resolution, with the 2's size and weight would be perfect for my hands.

The 2 and 4 (I have both in my house) are practically the same weight and size. I don't get your point?

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
If Apple is releasing a new version of the 4 with 128GB of memory,I think we can kiss goodbye any notion of a March release of the ipad5.

Many people put off purchasing for a new release so it could be a way to keep sales up.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
The mini is too hot for a March release. The 128gb ipad 4 is *NOT* the ipad 5. Got it! Read me lips, there will NOT be an ipad release in March. And if there is, it would be a 128gb ipad mini gen 1. Kapesh?!

----------

Yeah, cause nobody ever consumes media at a time when they can't reach the cloud o_O

Or maybe you mean to imply that a "tablet" isn't for consuming media. In which case.... o_O o_O

And considering the high cost of data in North America, the cloud is not important. Storage space is. Hell, if they released a 8tb ipad, I'd be ALL over it.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Everyone tells me that a tablet is good for media consumption. That means listinging to music, watching movies and TV shows and reading books/newspapers/magazines. The only way I could do any of that on a 16 GB model is if I stream everything. If I leave my home, I am reliant on mobile data. I live in a small country in Europe, and if I cross the border (only about 12 km from where I live), data roaming costs an arm and a leg. If I travel by air, non-locally stored data is inaccessible. Any media I want to consume has to be stored on the device when I walk out my front door.

Remember mp3 players before the iPod? You had to decide before you left home which one album you would load onto it, because that's all it could store. Movies and TV shows on an iPad are in the same situation. I want an iPad to be to videos what the iPod was to music. I want my whole video library in my iPad wherever I go. 1000 songs in your pocket? I want 1000 movies in my bag.

When you watch all of those 1000 movies on your "trip", let me know. I've owned every iPad, and some of its competitors, and I've never used more than 16GB of data. I realize there are some people who will use more than 16GB of data, but those people can also get away with 16GB by consolidating their data, very easily.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
new, new ipad specs

This is a report I read on the new ipad. They are saying that it comes with 2gig's of ram. I checked with apple on line and they didn't have info on the Ram

Everything else about the iPad announced Tuesday is the same as the current fourth-generation models: a 9.7-inch Retina display, a dual-core A6X processor, a FaceTime HD camera, 2 gigabtyes of RAM and an estimated 10 hours of battery life.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
This is a report I read on the new ipad. They are saying that it comes with 2gig's of ram. I checked with apple on line and they didn't have info on the Ram

Everything else about the iPad announced Tuesday is the same as the current fourth-generation models: a 9.7-inch Retina display, a dual-core A6X processor, a FaceTime HD camera, 2 gigabtyes of RAM and an estimated 10 hours of battery life.

No, the only change will be the 128gb storage.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.