Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:53 AM   #1
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

What could have caused this damage?

Hi There

I use a retina MacBook Pro at University on a daily basis. For the last 3 months, I've been suffering from the relatively well documented issue where the screen connected via HDMI may flicker off an on.

What I've noticied this morning is that since Wednesday, this damage has occurred around the HDMI port. Notice, the ruckeling on top and the black chips around the port. Since it's stayed on a clear desk for almost all of that time, with one trip out in laptop backpack where it didn't come out, I just can't think the damage was done physically as there was no opportunity when that side of the laptop would come into contact with anything hard. Last night I was rendering a very large video which got my computer very hot for about 20 minutes in iMovie. Is it possible that the heat generated from the CPU could have caused this ruckeling or that anything else caused the damage?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2431.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	393906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2430.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	393907  
gwelmarten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:02 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Someone physically moved the HDMI connector downwards, or you did which I doubt or someone else (On purpose) while you were not there, you can clearly see the bulge on top, the connecter has been forcely moved down when it was inside the socket, that's why it's also damaged under the socket.
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:08 AM   #3
cookiesnfooty
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Someone physically moved the HDMI connector downwards, or you did which I doubt or someone else (On purpose) while you were not there, you can clearly see the bulge on top, the connecter has been forcely moved down when it was inside the socket, that's why it's also damaged under the socket.
That's what I was thinking

"I miss you Steve"....
cookiesnfooty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:13 AM   #4
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi - Good idea, but the only starts at the edge of the HDMI socket and maxes out about 2cm from the HDMI socket. Also, the cable has a round thick bit behind the plug, so when I just tried that the cable doesn't actually go down more than a fraction of a mm, because the screen is on a desk so it's only plugged in via HDMI on the desk. So the cable can't actually go enough to cause damage.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesnfooty View Post
That's what I was thinking
Also, how could this have caused the black damage beneath? Isn't it solid aluminium? Why would there be black on the surface?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:16 AM   #5
Ann P
macrumors 68020

Honestly looks like the cable plug sparked.
Ann P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:18 AM   #6
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann P View Post
What do you mean? That the HDMI plug sparked and caused it to ruckle? Is that possible?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:20 AM   #7
justperry
macrumors 603

Or maybe someone flipped it of the desk while you were away.

Btw, your screen shots are too big for me to have a better look, I am on a limited internet connection(capped) so better make them smaller next time, 200 kb is more than enough.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:21 AM   #8
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I do appreciate it could have been malicious (or even me, without knowing), but as it's kept in a locked room when I'm not there, it happeneded within the last 2 days so I know I didn't leave it out somewhere and that I don't use it off the desk with the cable plugged in, I'm really thinking about if any hardware could have gone wrong. But it seems not from posts so far!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:23 AM   #9
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Btw, your screen shots are too big for me to have a better look, I am on a limited internet connection(capped) so better make them smaller next time, 200 kb is more than enough.
Sorry - here are some smaller ones.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2431.jpg
Views:	6161
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	393909   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2430.jpg
Views:	5853
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	393910  
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:24 AM   #10
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwelmarten View Post
I do appreciate it could have been malicious (or even me, without knowing), but as it's kept in a locked room when I'm not there, it happeneded within the last 2 days so I know I didn't leave it out somewhere and that I don't use it off the desk with the cable plugged in, I'm really thinking about if any hardware could have gone wrong. But it seems not from posts so far!
Aluminium won't bend like this without force.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:40 AM   #11
LachlanH
macrumors regular

at first I thought the black marks were from scorching, like the port/cable was sparking and causing heat.

But the physical mark at the top looks to be exactly that, a physical mark. IE, as suggested, it has been dropped/bent.

Looks bad
LachlanH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:40 AM   #12
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann P View Post
Is it possible to get an example of this so I can look at this possibility more? Or more info?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:46 AM   #13
snaky69
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Aluminium won't bend like this without force.
Agreed, and to do that to the HDMI port it took quite a bit of it. Someone has tried to very forcibly rip the HDMI cord out by yanking it down instead of out.
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:00 AM   #14
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Sorry - here are some smaller ones.
Thanks, and I magnified them, I really do think it dropped or something similar, but I do find the bulge on top a bit odd.

Click to enlarge.

Edit: You can also see the bottom lid is crooked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	76
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	393912  
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:02 AM   #15
switon
macrumors 6502a

RE: take off the back cover...

Hi gwelmartin,

I think you need to take the back plate off and take a look inside at the HDMI plug. This should tell you if the plug itself is scorched and if the blackening is extensive and related to a short in the plug or if it is related to physical damage. It is hard to image heat alone doing the physical damage to the top surface of the laptop, as aluminum is such a good heat conductor. In other words, heating the aluminum should not have caused it to bend like this. More likely either some internal component has "expanded" from heat and thus bent the upper surface or the HDMI plug was forcefully moved bending the upper surface.

Good luck,
Switon
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:25 AM   #16
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by switon View Post
Hi gwelmartin,

I think you need to take the back plate off and take a look inside at the HDMI plug. This should tell you if the plug itself is scorched and if the blackening is extensive and related to a short in the plug or if it is related to physical damage. It is hard to image heat alone doing the physical damage to the top surface of the laptop, as aluminum is such a good heat conductor. In other words, heating the aluminum should not have caused it to bend like this. More likely either some internal component has "expanded" from heat and thus bent the upper surface or the HDMI plug was forcefully moved bending the upper surface.

Good luck,
Switon
Hi Switon.

If a short was the problem there is much more heat needed to give such a bulge on the top and if this was the case I think the Laptop would be damaged beyond repair.

I think it fell of the desk and then it got a short inside the connector, there is just no way a normal short(as in time) short circuit would give this result.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:55 AM   #17
switon
macrumors 6502a

RE: short shorts...

Quote:
Hi Switon.

If a short was the problem there is much more heat needed to give such a bulge on the top and if this was the case I think the Laptop would be damaged beyond repair.

I think it fell of the desk and then it got a short inside the connector, there is just no way a normal short(as in time) short circuit would give this result.
Hi justperry,

I agree that normal heat, such as rendering an iMovie for 20 minutes as the OP suggests, would never bend the upper surface of the laptop, especially since aluminum is such a good heat conductor and would disperse the heat faster than it could build up enough to cause the bend. So I agree that there most likely was some physical event that caused the upper surface to bend. My only question is whether the physical force came from physically moving the HDMI plug or if it came from some internal component "expanding" and bending the upper surface. The component's expansion most like would be caused by a short circuit. Short circuits do not necessarily have to be "short", in time that is...they can last for a longer interval. From personal experience, just a month ago, a short circuit in the dashboard of a vehicle caused a fire that burnt the entire dashboard and interior of the car and completely drained the car battery.

I would like to also have a photo of the HDMI cable's male plug end, just like the photo of the laptop's HDMI female plug. Is the "black" from the HDMI cable's plug, or is it from scorching? Does the cable's plug show the same type of damage as the laptop? I was especially curious about the small black smudge at the left-hand side below the HDMI plug that appears to be disconnected from the HDMI plug's hole and also appears to be associated with the joint between the laptop's upper case and its back panel. Is this damage from the "inside" leaking out, or damage on the "outside". Therefore I suggest that the laptop be opened in order to determine the extent of internal damage.

Regards,
Switon
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:42 AM   #18
Brian Y
In Time-Out

It's been dropped - you can see that the metal to the right of the HDMI socket is *chipped* not bent. And if you look closely, the bottom of the USB port is bent too.

As for the top bend, that's normal for this construction - the thicker edge will physically bend, which will "crease" the top bit.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:51 AM   #19
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

Quote:
Is it possible to get an example of this so I can look at this possibility more? Or more info?
HDMI doesn't carry enough current to spark and leave a mark like that.

The damage looks like it is from a drop.
T5BRICK is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:22 AM   #20
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

That scuff... looks is it was dropped right on the HDMI port.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:33 AM   #21
duervo
macrumors 6502a

I'd have to agree that it was dropped. It's what looks like a chipped section on right edge of the HDMI port that leads me to believe this.

I believe it was dropped while an HDMI cable was plugged into it (trip over the HDMI cable, maybe?)

System falls on floor, and the resulting damage causes a short circuit in the I/O board, in turn causing the magic smoke marks on the bottom part of the HDMI port.
duervo is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:36 AM   #22
dma550
macrumors 6502

seems like something either a fat cat or a kid fooling around might do sorry for your ruckle!
dma550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:07 PM   #23
chrfr
macrumors 68020

That's impact damage, without question.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Tags
chip, damage, heat, ruckle