Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Overall I just feel the iPhone is the new dumb phone. It makes great calls but do anything else on it and you'll be crippled by the small screen or some software limitation apple has programmed.

Yep, I call it the Fisher Price of smartphones.

Samsung has passed Apple by, and is now the creative market leader.

Last edited by a moderator:

appletoandroid

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
Yep, I call it the Fisher Price of smartphones.

Samsung has passed Apple by, and is now the creative market leader.

Agreed. Apple is carving out a very niche market, like their macs. Only fanboys are left buying iPhone while everyone else going to Samsung.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Agreed. Apple is carving out a very niche market, like their macs. Only fanboys are left buying iPhone while everyone else going to Samsung.

:rolleyes:

That's why Apple incresed their overall market share by 6% last year....AND currently owns more than half the US market....

Come on guys. You can still like Samsung without spewing complete nonsense to validate your choice's superiority.

Truth is, there are still plenty of people who prefer the iPhone (and the number is still growing, not shrinking) and for good reason. The iPhone 5 is an excellent smartphone.

I look at it this way - Apple started with the first iPhone on a level no other OEM had matched. So Apple starts way ahead of the pack - they've steadily updated while other OEM's have had to make HUGE headway just to catch up.

That's why Samsung's rise has been so dramatic - because they started with crap (generally speaking) in the smartphone arena and have had to make up HUGE ground to catch up with and surpass Apple as the dominant smartphone maker.

All of the sales and marketshare numbers should be taken with a grain of salt given the numerous variables present - but the FACTS (that most android loyalists) seem to ignore is that while just about every other OEM's marketshare is decling, Apple is STILL increasing - maybe not at the rate of Samsung, but they certainly are gaining more customers than they are losing.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Anything before the Galaxy line of devices that was made by Samsung was crap for the most part.

The GSII, then set the stage for the GSIII.

Now, if wasn't obvious before with previous models, is that the iPhone is no longer the undisputed leader as it once was probably going back to iPhone 4.

The last 1.5 years has seen Android catching up with ICS and passing iOS and iPhone with Jellybean and the GSIII and Note 2.

Not saying the iPhone isn't growing or doomed, it's just NOT the clear industry leader that it once was.

I think the people that matter the most agree with this assesment, hence the stock price that has lost nearly 40% of it's value in the last 90 days or so.

Just saying...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Anything before the Galaxy line of devices that was made by Samsung was crap for the most part.

Now, if wasn't obvious before with previous models, is that the iPhone is no longer the undisputed leader as it once was probably going back to iPhone 4.

The last 1.5 years has seen Android catching up with ICS and passing iOS and iPhone with Jellybean and the GSIII and Note 2.

Not saying the iPhone isn't growing or doomed, it's just NOT the clear industry leader that it once was.

I think the people that matter the most agree with this assesment, hence the stock price that has lost nearly 40% of it's value in the last 90 days or so.

Just saying...

I would agree that the iPhone is no longer the clear industry leader it once was.

But I'd also caution taking too much stock (pardon the pun) in Apple's stock price....I wouldn't be surprised to see it soar again in the next few years - provided Apple moves forward.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Just saying...

Agreed. Definitely not a one horse race anymore.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Was that for the financial quarter or was it for the whole year? :rolleyes:
Only for the USA and only the last quarter of last year. You know, when the iPhone 5 was released. Big surprise there. Not.

And Apple should damn well do better in the last quarter of 2012 vs 2011: the new phone was released a month earlier.

Meanwhile Samsung continues its lead over Apple world-wide. I would hate to think that makes Americans look like unsavvy consumers, so I won't go there.

Michael

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Only for the USA and only the last quarter of last year. You know, when the iPhone 5 was released. Big surprise there. Not.

And Apple should damn well do better in the last quarter of 2012 vs 2011: the new phone was released a month earlier.

Meanwhile Samsung continues its lead over Apple world-wide. I would hate to think that makes Americans look like unsavvy consumers, so I won't go there.

Michael

There's still something a little surprising about that, given that these figures refer to mobiles as a whole and not just smartphones. Apple sold more phones than every other manufacturer in Q4, even though they don't sell any cheap feature phones.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Michael

This was the first quarter since 2008 that Samsung wasn't the top dog.....so using release dates as an excuse doesn't really cut it.

I have a feeling you've already put me on ignore anyway, so I'll go ahead and say this for the rest of those here: please stop assuming your opinions and preferences drive this industry. Just because you think Samsung is the best doesn't mean they are for everyone. Just because Americans like Apple more doesn't mean they are unsavvy customers.....you aren't even considering cultural differences and other variables/reasons why other countries generally choose other devices.

Man....I get worn out just reading the crap you post.....dramatic, ignorant of any intelligent counter-points made against you and seemingly driven by some deep hatred for Apple....

For the first time since 2008, someone other than Samsung is on top of the US mobile phone marketshare lead....and its Apple. You can do whatever you want with that information - I for one choose to use it as proof that Apple isn't going anywhere anytime soon/isn't on the brink of collapse.

But I certainly won't use it to assert some ridiculous notion that Apple makes the best smartphone on the planet for everyone (or even makes the best smartphone for everyone in the US).....because it all boils down to preference. And what works for you, might not work for me and vice-versa. Also, what worked for you or I 4 years ago, might not work now.....these things change over time and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
this was the first quarter since 2008 that samsung wasn't the top dog.....so using release dates as an excuse doesn't really cut it.

I have a feeling you've already put me on ignore anyway, so i'll go ahead and say this for the rest of those here: Please stop assuming your opinions and preferences drive this industry. Just because you think samsung is the best doesn't mean they are for everyone. Just because americans like apple more doesn't mean they are unsavvy customers.....you aren't even considering cultural differences and other variables/reasons why other countries generally choose other devices.

Man....i get worn out just reading the crap you post.....dramatic, ignorant of any intelligent counter-points made against you and seemingly driven by some deep hatred for apple....

For the first time since 2008, someone other than samsung is on top of the us mobile phone marketshare lead....and its apple. You can do whatever you want with that information - i for one choose to use it as proof that apple isn't going anywhere anytime soon/isn't on the brink of collapse.

But i certainly won't use it to assert some ridiculous notion that apple makes the best smartphone on the planet for everyone (or even makes the best smartphone for everyone in the us).....because it all boils down to preference. And what works for you, might not work for me and vice-versa. Also, what worked for you or i 4 years ago, might not work now.....these things change over time and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

qft :)

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Man....I get worn out just reading the crap you post.....dramatic, ignorant of any intelligent counter-points made against you and seemingly driven by some deep hatred for Apple....
That is how I feel about your posts. As I type this. On a mac. With an iPhone on my left, an iPad in a cradle on my right, and a macbook air sitting in a case on the floor beside me. Yep. Hate Apple. :confused:

I am disappointed in the iPhone and its OS as it stands in 2013. If you have not grasped that yet you never will. I was there getting an iPhone when it first came out in 2007. Did you? I stayed with it and its successors till November of 2012--that is well over 5 years. Yet I have a "hatred" for Apple. I must be a masochist lol.

Michael

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
That is how I feel about your posts. As I type this. On a mac. With an iPhone on my left, an iPad in a cradle on my right, and a macbook air sitting in a case on the floor beside me. Yep. Hate Apple. :confused:

I am disappointed in the iPhone and its OS as it stands in 2013. If you have not grasped that yet you never will. I was there getting an iPhone when it first came out in 2007. Did you? I stayed with it and its successors till November of 2012--that is well over 5 years. Yet I have a "hatred" for Apple. I must be a masochist lol.

Michael

*sigh*

I apologize. I'm trying my hardest not to get carried up in these discussions - my generally over-logical thinking and desire to be right get the best of me sometimes. I don't want to offend anyone here and certainly don't mean to attack you. I know you don't hate Apple - I've read your other posts.

So, calmly I will say this: my only point I want to make in all of this is that Apple's direction, though it may not be the direction some want them to go, is still a successful direction - as evidenced by record sales, profits, topping Samsung for the first time since 2008, etc....

Others have stepped up their game and now challenge the iPhone more than ever - Samsung in particular on the smartphone side. I understand you are dissapointed in Apple and iOS - but consider your uses and standards have changed since 2007. Consider Android might be better for you now and move on - why must Apple become more like Android or change the way they do things when there are those of us who genuinely like the way they are.

I don't pretend to know what phone/OS is best for you - all I ask is the same courtesy - not a thread/arguments about how those of us who like our iPhones and iOS are bringing about Apple's imagined demise - as if those who criticize them and are calling for them to change are above those of us who know full well what other alternatives there are and actively chose the iPhone.

I hope this post didn't come across in any offensive way. Again, I apologize and hope we can have an intelligent discussion about all things Apple and Android.....but if those WP8 people come in here, I'ma have to bust some a$$e$ :p

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I hope this post didn't come across in any offensive way. Again, I apologize and hope we can have an intelligent discussion about all things Apple and Android.....but if those WP8 people come in here, I'ma have to bust some a$$e$ :p
It is all good. I saw you in other threads and see you are objective and reasonable.

This thread just got out of hand. I too apologize for anything I might have written that crossed the line.

Michael

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It is all good. I saw you in other threads and see you are objective and reasonable.

This thread just got out of hand. I too apologize for anything I might have written that crossed the line.

Michael

Glad to hear it! On another note, I was told at work that they prefer I use my iPhone for work instead of the Nexus 4 due to security.....that means I'll be using the N4 as my personal/daily phone :eek:

Lol I'm excited for it to get here!

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Glad to hear it! On another note, I was told at work that they prefer I use my iPhone for work instead of the Nexus 4 due to security.....that means I'll be using the N4 as my personal/daily phone :eek:

Lol I'm excited for it to get here!

I think that you will enjoy it. :D Looking forward to your impressions. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.