Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:34 AM   #1
cnev3
macrumors 6502

This YouTube tech blogger does the best Apple, MS, Google comparisons

This guy on youtube (lockergnome) who does tech reviews and comparisons does a great job. Very balanced, unbiased, thorough, and makes great points. Out of all tech bloggers, he seems to mirror my sentiments the most. He's also somewhat of a character too.

Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy SIII

Google Chromebook Review

If you know of someone who does even better reviews/comparisons, let me know, i'd like to check them out.

Last edited by OllyW; Feb 1, 2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Please use youtube tags
cnev3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnev3 View Post
This guy on youtube (lockergnome) who does tech reviews and comparisons does a great job. Very balanced, unbiased, thorough, and makes great points. Out of all tech bloggers, he seems to mirror my sentiments the most. He's also somewhat of a character too.

Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini

YouTube: video
That scrolling lag is exactly what drove me insane about the N7.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:16 AM   #3
identity
macrumors 6502

I like mobiletechreview and technobuffalo.
identity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:32 AM   #4
hyteckit

I'm glad I got an iPad Mini over a Nexus 7.

I already sold my 2 previous Android 7" tablets that I wasn't happy with.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:35 AM   #5
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

Chris Pirillo is awesome, I've always loved his videos!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:24 PM   #6
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by identity View Post
I like mobiletechreview and technobuffalo.
I like Phonedog and heelsandtech (now Uoobe). Weird to see Aaron last a whole 6 hours with technobuffalo.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

I normally like his comparisons and totally agree about the Nexus 7 vs iPad mini.

But the iPhone 5 vs G3 I'm not so sure: he kind of lost me about the iPhone 5 having deeper blacks. There can be no deeper black than "off." Also the S3 was running ICS not JB.

He also liked the Nexus 4 and Note 2, which I would put above the S3, performance wise.

I think the S4 is going to most likely best not only the iPhone 5 but likely the 5S/6 as well. Time will tell.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:20 PM   #8
cynics
macrumors 604

Ugh, I tried but I could only get have way though the 2nd video. Too much opinion in those reviews.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

I like Chris Pirillo's videos as well.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:21 PM   #10
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

I like this site http://www.uoobe.com/. Her full reviews are very indepth. Her site was down for awhile due to revamp and name change, but now back up.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
I normally like his comparisons and totally agree about the Nexus 7 vs iPad mini.

But the iPhone 5 vs G3 I'm not so sure: he kind of lost me about the iPhone 5 having deeper blacks.
There can be no deeper black than "off." Also the S3 was running ICS not JB.

He also liked the Nexus 4 and Note 2, which I would put above the S3, performance wise.

I think the S4 is going to most likely best not only the iPhone 5 but likely the 5S/6 as well. Time will tell.

Michael
LOL, yeah i was like, "WTF is he talking about"? Also the back button that he kept hitting. I know some hold the phone differently ,somehow, than others but i dont think ive never hit the back button on accident.

Speaking of the GS3, i got another update last night. My third since ive had it(second one was Jelly Bean) so i like that they are being better with the updates even if it was a small security and user experience update. Still, if it is an improvement, its nice to get them sooner than ever before.

As for the Tablets, i agree a little about the scrolling , but i still much prefer the N7 over the Mini. It frustrates me that there is no back button on the Mini.

I didnt really watch the Google Chromebook video (watched 30 seconds) Ive absolutely no desire to have one of those.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
LOL, yeah i was like, "WTF is he talking about"? Also the back button that he kept hitting. I know some hold the phone differently ,somehow, than others but i dont think ive never hit the back button on accident.

Speaking of the GS3, i got another update last night. My third since ive had it(second one was Jelly Bean) so i like that they are being better with the updates even if it was a small security and user experience update. Still, if it is an improvement, its nice to get them sooner than ever before.

As for the Tablets, i agree a little about the scrolling , but i still much prefer the N7 over the Mini. It frustrates me that there is no back button on the Mini.

I didnt really watch the Google Chromebook video (watched 30 seconds) Ive absolutely no desire to have one of those.
Yea that is beginning to get on my nerves with my iPad. I keep tapping to the right of the home button lol. Also, despite what some say about iOS consistently having the back button in the upper left-hand corner it is not always that way: sometimes an app will bring up a screen that has to be closed via the upper right-hand corner (such as an "x"). Just ran into that today with the Huffington Post app for iPad (a horribly written app, in my opinion).

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:58 AM   #13
Irishman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnev3 View Post

Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy SIII

Google Chromebook Review

If you know of someone who does even better reviews/comparisons, let me know, i'd like to check them out.
I love Chris Pirillo! He was on the TechTV channel on satellite years back before G4 bought it out and ruined it. Great guy! Great sense of humor.

In the same spirit of Chris' channel, there's the TWiT TV channel http://www.youtube.com/user/twit

It is a much larger endeavor, though, headed by Leo Laporte (another TechTV alum). I enjoy several of their podcasts (both audio and video), from "Home Theater Geeks", "iPad Today", "Macbreak Weekly", "Tech News Today", and "Know How".

They're insightful, objective (most of the time), and I very rarely find their information outright wrong.

And, once more back to Chris, he apparently got an early shot to use the Oculus Rift 3D Gaming Goggles. From what I've heard, this was the hit of CES this year. Everyone was raving about, and here he is demoing the Epic Citadel map using Unreal Engine 3, adapted for the Oculus Rift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBylGcvRuek

Last edited by Irishman; Feb 5, 2013 at 08:03 AM.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:27 AM   #14
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post

But the iPhone 5 vs G3 I'm not so sure: he kind of lost me about the iPhone 5 having deeper blacks. There can be no deeper black than "off." Also the S3 was running ICS not JB.

Michael
Well that is probably over a year away, so I would be shocked.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices