Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:33 AM   #1
glocke12
Banned

Who has had Pneumonia here?

After feeling ill and going to the doctor with flu like symptoms last week, I went back for another visit this past Tuesday (exactly one week later) because I suddenly felt worse after I thought I had improved over the weekend. Felt fine fri/sat/sun, than woke up Monday with a terrible, dry raspy cough, and by the time I got home from work I had a fever of 102. The next day I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with pneumonia, given an antibiotic and told to stay home until the fever went away. Today is the first day of no fever, but I still feel like crap..still have the cough, still feel run down, and can still here a "crackling" or "wheezing" sound in my chest when I exhale, especially while laying down.

Who here has had pneumonia, and what was your recovery period?
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:10 AM   #2
eric/

It's been a looooooooong time since I've had pneumonia, sorry can't help.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

I've had it. Once I got on antibiotics I started feeling better after a day or so. Within three or four days I wasn't feeling sick anymore.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:41 AM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Sounds like an STD.

I'm kidding. Once I saw a doctor, my pneumonia was a distant memory within a week. I did smoke and my healing time was likely crippled by that.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:47 AM   #5
djjclark
macrumors regular

Recall mine lasted 2 weeks. Every time I laid down it felt like I was drowning, would have a fever and chills constantly. Was given antibiotics but don't recall them being miraculous. Was given codeine cough syrup that tasted so bad the coughing pain was better then the medicine. My son just had it and was in the hospital 4 days with i.v. antibiotics and breathing treatments. By day 3 he was back to normal except his blood oxygen was low hence an extra day.
djjclark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:21 AM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I have had it twice. The first time, I was out of work for 4 days and felt like crap for a couple of weeks. The second time, I was admitted to the hospital for several hours so I could get IV antibiotics, morphine and fluids. My recovery was quicker but I still felt bad for at least a week. My advice would be to take a couple of more days off of work and try and sleep in a recliner rather than your bed. I hope you get well soon.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Silencio
macrumors 68000

I caught pneumonia at the tail end of the worst flu bug I ever suffered. It took me months to fully get over despite dutifully taking my antibiotics, and it did do some permanent damage to my lung capacity.

Did you get a chest x-ray?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:20 AM   #8
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

I've had pneumonia several times, the most recent was end of flu season last year. I had/have bronchitis with this recent flu. Yay. There are 2 kinds of pneumonia, viral & bacterial. Anti-biotics only help with bacterial pneumonia. For me, it always takes a month or so to start feeling human again. The cough lingers. I don't smoke but I may as well have since birth as my parents were really heavy smokers. My mom gets pneumonia at the drop of a hat recently & had to be hospitalized the first time--which finally encouraged my parents to quit smoking, so that's good.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion