Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenny02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
I need some helpful tips for a good gift.
I hope you can help me; )
I´m happy about your comments

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Refurb Mini + cheap Dell monitor + One to One.

I helped my stepfather buy a nice iMac a few years back and he never uses it so don't swing for the fence on this one.

Efrem

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
Do you want to buy her a computer, or are you looking for ideas like a pair of flip-flops that light up?

If you want to buy her a computer, tell us something about her, her background in computing, and so on.

If you don't tell us at least that much you'll get all sorts of weird ideas, like a pair of flip-flops that light up.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

My wife was very happy with two tickets for the "Nutcracker" that she received from our daughter.

And an iPad mini will do fine for your mother if she wants to take a computer to the ballet :)

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK

Got my mum a kindle fire hd for xmas and she loves it. Give us some more details about what sort of thing she likes/your budget and we can be a lot more helpful :p

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Do you want to buy her a computer, or are you looking for ideas like a pair of flip-flops that light up?

If you want to buy her a computer, tell us something about her, her background in computing, and so on.

If you don't tell us at least that much you'll get all sorts of weird ideas, like a pair of flip-flops that light up.

I second that. There is no way we can help you precisely if you won't tell us anything about your mother, or at least your intentions for a gift...

Now, presuming you didn't post here randomly - meaning you want to give someone you like a nice Apple gift, and judging by the fact that you have no idea on what to give her that you don't know much about Apple products yourself (if you had one you'd probably have at least mentioned it), I'd suggest:

- an iPad (either the #2 or the mini will do) -> if you want something that your mother can learn how to use in 15 minutes and won't bother you every minute about how to caps the text she writes ;)
- an iPhone 4 -> another thing that your mother could learn in 15 minutes, supposing she can see the screen (my mother can't unfortunately :( )

-> Macs in general aren't the best choice to enter Apple world, mainly because people tend to resist to changes, so unless your mother had some previous experience with an Apple product before - or for that matter, with any Linux environment - I wouldn't recommend buying them.

-> you can consider iPods too, if your mother works out or if she likes to hear her music while in transit.

Hope this helps :D

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Consider this for a display:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_i2757fm.htm

27", IPS, 3-year warranty, $269 @ Best Buy.

IMPORTANT: this is a "medium resolution" 27" display. That is to say, it has a larger pixel size (.311, I believe) -- it shows you the same image as a 24" display, but "blown up" a little bit. What this means for your mom is that she won't have to squint to focus on display, if (like me) her vision is not the best any more.

Combine this with the Mac Mini of your choice, and she should be good to go, at a decent price.

Last edited:

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Consider this for a display:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_i2757fm.htm

27", IPS, 3-year warranty, $269 @ Best Buy.

IMPORTANT: this is a "medium resolution" 27" display. That is to say, it has a larger pixel size (.311, I believe) -- it shows you the same image as a 24" display, but "blown up" a little bit. What this means for your mom is that she won't have to squint to focus on display, if (like me) her vision is not the best any more.

Combine this with the Mac Mini of your choice, and she should be good to go, at a decent price.

Do you work for this company?! ;) I saw this post from you in the monitor thread as well! Your advice seems to work for a whole range of people!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.