Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
So I go from using a standard USB plug compatible with nearly any device, to a proprietary mat that will only work with my device and no cross-compatibility?

Not to mention you go from having a fully mobile plug to having a mat that stays in on place, and if you wanna switch locations you have to take the mat with you.

Unless the mat is some kind of design to where you can hold the mat and use the phone, you're gonna have to be staring straight down at the mat (or orb or whatever the device uses.

Not only that, it's going to make travel charging a pain, having to carry that charger everywhere

All this for what? Inefficiently charging your phone that looks 1% cooler than just plugging it in? Maybe if there was some kind of cool multimedia mode you get like when you put it in an audio dock that would add some redemption, but still, please tell me why something so stupid is actually used to sell phones?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The charging mat still has to be plugged in, so it's not really wireless.

That's not the point. The point is that you can just simply put the phone on the mat instead of having to fiddle with the plug.

----------

So I go from using a standard USB plug compatible with nearly any device, to a proprietary mat that will only work with my device and no cross-compatibility?

Not to mention you go from having a fully mobile plug to having a mat that stays in on place, and if you wanna switch locations you have to take the mat with you.

Unless the mat is some kind of design to where you can hold the mat and use the phone, you're gonna have to be staring straight down at the mat (or orb or whatever the device uses.

Not only that, it's going to make travel charging a pain, having to carry that charger everywhere

All this for what? Inefficiently charging your phone that looks 1% cooler than just plugging it in? Maybe if there was some kind of cool multimedia mode you get like when you put it in an audio dock that would add some redemption, but still, please tell me why something so stupid is actually used to sell phones?

You do realize that you can use the regular style chargers just fine on phone with wireless charging.

BuryMeInSmoke

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Qi charging is a standard, so there is cross compatibility. Mine works with the nexus 4, lumia 920, s3... I keep my cable in my truck and the mat in my bedroom.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
the act of plugging a chord into your phone can be daunting for a lot of people, especially with the really small micro usb plug. you're never quite sure which way is the right way. you jam and poke, and if doesn't go in, you flip it around and jam and poke some more. and if it still doesn't go, then you gotta pay real attention to the orientation of the plug to see if you're doing it right. then you jam and poke to get the damn thing in (thank god for lightning).

placing the phone on a mat, or orb, or touchstone is much simpler and really kind of cool. you put it down when you want it to charge, and you pick it up when you want to go. there's no fiddling around with plugs and chords, and it just works.

or at least it's supposed to. i had a palm pre, and the touchstone charger was great at first. no fiddling with the cables was doubly nice since you didn't have to deal with the door covering the usb port, but the negatives started to show quite quickly. wireless charging took at least twice as long to get a full charge, and the phone would get super hot while charging. i don't know if the experience is any different now, but it'd have to be for me to consider using. compound that with the fact that these charging orbs/mats can't transmit data, and you're forced again to physically connect the phone to the computer. wireless syncing could make this point moot, but right now the syncing is still way too slow and unreliable. too many times i wirelessly sync my phone to my computer only for the connection to drop unexpectedly and i'm forced to either make another attempt or to just plug the phone into the computer.

this post has gone on a lot longer than i originally intended. the tl;dr of it is that wireless charging/syncing is a nice idea and could be remarkably convenient, but i don't think it's quite there yet.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I don't understand the appeal either-I use my phone while it's plugged in all the time, a wireless charging mat would make that very difficult.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm just saying, Apple made a huge deal out of the lightning connector because you can insert it either way. Wireless is a step better.

Also, Wireless charging is a standard used by a few Android and Windows phones, so it's as useful as a USB cable. Of course, if you're ever on the move, just use a USB cable. It's not "just" wireless charging, it's "in addition".

Maybe if there was some kind of cool multimedia mode you get like when you put it in an audio dock that would add some redemption, but still, please tell me why something so stupid is actually used to sell phones?
You mean like the JB Speaker that makes use of NFC, Bluetooth, and Wireless Charging so that when you put your phone on top of it, it automatically syncs via Bluetooth and plays music through the speakers -- and charges the phone -- just by putting it in a specific spot?

EDIT: You still need to plug a phone in to sync, but if you use a Windows phone there's wireless sync built in too. I haven't used the USB port on my phone in almost a month.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011

Very good point.

I also don't see the point, other than perhaps in a car.

I'm loving that my digital camera, phone, electric toothbrush and wifi dongle all charge off the same chargers/computer using micro USB.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Lol@plugging in a device can be a daunting task. You have a 50/50 shot. Typically the charger I'd marked or one side looks different than the other. I'm sorry a 5 sec task is such a big deal.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's a convenience feature. As are many features. I don't see how it's not considered a selling point. It opens up another option to charge your phone. It's not like it's the only way to charge.

And it's the first step to what could be possible down the road. Imagine one day when walking into the right room in your home will start charging the phone, whether it's on a charger pad or in your pocket. Imagine the day when walking into your home means your phone starts charging. Imagine the day when walking into a "WiFi/Charge" area, like say a Starbucks or a cafe or whatever, means your phone begins charging.

Technology, baby.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Phone rings, pick it up and answer, once finished, put it back on mat to continue charge. What is so difficult about that, you don't need to keep it on the mat to answer or use it.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
That's not the point. The point is that you can just simply put the phone on the mat instead of having to fiddle with the plug.
But that is the point. If you're going to plug in the charging mat, wouldn't it be just as easy to plug in the phone too?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
But that is the point. If you're going to plug in the charging mat, wouldn't it be just as easy to plug in the phone too?

My use would be at home where the mat would be plugged in all the time, for instance on the nightstand. If I needed to charge it at work for instance, the charging cable could be unplugged from the mat and taken with me. (I wouldn't do that, I would buy a spare charging lead)

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
My use would be at home where the mat would be plugged in all the time, for instance on the nightstand. If I needed to charge it at work for instance, the charging cable could be unplugged from the mat and taken with me. (I wouldn't do that, I would buy a spare charging lead)

That is exactly where I would use it, and perhaps one in my office.

Personally, I am not understanding why anyone would not like having this feature available.

Now when I go to bed, perhaps sleepy, I have to first remember to plug my phone in, then find the cord, then fiddle with plugging it in. How in the world is just placing it on a mat that is always there not a good thing? On top of that I won't reach for the phone in the morning, forgetting the cord is attached. Or, worse, walk away with it still attached. And if I need to check something before I get up I can grab the phone, do what I need to do, and then set it back down.

I don't really care if it takes longer to charge since it will be charged overnight regardless what method I use.

As for my office, the benefit of not being tethered to a cord seems attractive to me. Many times I am using the phone and (if I remember) have to unplug the charger so I can get up or move further away than the cable will reach. Afterwards I do not always remember to reconnect the charger. Having a wireless charger to simply place my phone would be nice.

Finally, since being able to charge wirelessly in no way precludes charging with a wire what is not to like? Don't use if you don't want to.

I should note my current device, a Note 2, does not have wireless charging. I could add it with a mod but am still thinking about it.

Michael

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
That is exactly where I would use it, and perhaps one in my office.

Personally, I am not understanding why anyone would not like having this feature available.

Now when I go to bed, perhaps sleepy, I have to first remember to plug my phone in, then find the cord, then fiddle with plugging it in. How in the world is just placing it on a mat that is always there not a good thing? On top of that I won't reach for the phone in the morning, forgetting the cord is attached. Or, worse, walk away with it still attached. And if I need to check something before I get up I can grab the phone, do what I need to do, and then set it back down.

I don't really care if it takes longer to charge since it will be charged overnight regardless what method I use.

As for my office, the benefit of not being tethered to a cord seems attractive to me. Many times I am using the phone and (if I remember) have to unplug the charger so I can get up or move further away than the cable will reach. Afterwards I do not always remember to reconnect the charger. Having a wireless charger to simply place my phone would be nice.

Finally, since being able to charge wirelessly in no way precludes charging with a wire what is not to like? Don't use if you don't want to.

I should note my current device, a Note 2, does not have wireless charging. I could add it with a mod but am still thinking about it.

Michael

I don't think the issue is having it - simply why is it made such a big deal when there are some drawbacks to it with only a minimal amount of convenience added...

Obviously, you could get cheaper alternatives on Amazon - but the rumor is the charging orb for the N4 is $60! That's a ton of money to pay just so I don't have to plug something in.....

When the tech gets where onthecouchagain was talking about, then wireless charging will be a great feature (hugely innovative and in the works currently) - until then, its pretty much just a gimmick.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It's convenient; that's it really.

You shouldn't be asking what's so good about wireless charging, you should be asking why you would want to plug in a cable when you could simply place the phone on top of the charger instead.

It's a small improvement.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
So we're essentially debating whether it should be a selling point or not?

Because if so, that's a silly debate to engage in. It's new-ish technology, and definitely not common. Of course manufacturers will use it as a selling point.

Apple's using noise cancellation as a selling point in one of their ads.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don't understand the appeal either-I use my phone while it's plugged in all the time, a wireless charging mat would make that very difficult.

That's pretty much my thinking on the matter.

Far too often I want my phone to be charging and usable.

I suppose throwing the phone on a charging pad at night before I sleep might be useful, but it isn't like plugging in a lightning cable is all that difficult.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
It's convenient; that's it really.

You shouldn't be asking what's so good about wireless charging, you should be asking why you would want to plug in a cable when you could simply place the phone on top of the charger instead.

It's a small improvement.

Exactly. And once you use it, you hate having to plug in your phone or tablet. Convenience.

And really, the only time you would really use this is when you are sitting at work for 8 hours and want to keep your phone topped up, or at night when you get into bed and you charge your phone overnight.
If you need a fast charge (and have a phone without a changeable battery) you will need to plug in the phone.
Since I own an S3, wireless charging is perfect. I have spare batteries should I need them, so I would never need to plug into an outlet again. Just set my phone on the Touchstone at night. And once Qi (pronounced Chi) is the set standard for Windows and Android, every phone will wirelessly charge the same way. Just like NFC is now the norm on all these phones.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So we're essentially debating whether it should be a selling point or not?

Because if so, that's a silly debate to engage in. It's new-ish technology, and definitely not common. Of course manufacturers will use it as a selling point.

Apple's using noise cancellation as a selling point in one of their ads.

Difference being there is no added cost to better noise cancellation (to the consumer at least) while we benefit from it many times a day every day.

Versus

Having to pay extra for a small, somewhat gimmicky convenience of simply putting down a phone to charge versus picking up a cord to plug into it.

I'm not trying to put any of this down - like I said, once wireless charging gets to the point you referred to earlier, the first companies to offer this will have a massive selling point on their hands.

But really - there are plenty of relatively gimmicky features out there that are used to sell phones - ultimately, you can't blame the OEMs for trying to give their devices SOME differentiating factor.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I don't think the issue is having it - simply why is it made such a big deal when there are some drawbacks to it with only a minimal amount of convenience added...

I have to ask what the drawbacks are? One would assume that it would become an industry standard so that once owned, the mat would charge all phones with that feature, that IMHO would negate the cost argument as the mat would be used on successive phones as they are acquired. I think Matt has summed it up perfectly. "why would one want to plug their phone into a charger when all one has to do is place it on a mat?"

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Difference being there is no added cost to better noise cancellation (to the consumer at least) while we benefit from it many times a day every day.

Versus

Having to pay extra for a small, somewhat gimmicky convenience of simply putting down a phone to charge versus picking up a cord to plug into it.

I'm not trying to put any of this down - like I said, once wireless charging gets to the point you referred to earlier, the first companies to offer this will have a massive selling point on their hands.

But really - there are plenty of relatively gimmicky features out there that are used to sell phones - ultimately, you can't blame the OEMs for trying to give their devices SOME differentiating factor.

Precisely. Welcome to technology. It lives in the fast lane, and anything new -- meaning, anything they can use to differentiate themselves from the competition -- can and will be used to their advantage. We see it all the time.

Great point:

I have to ask what the drawbacks are? One would assume that it would become an industry standard so that once owned, the mat would charge all phones with that feature, that IMHO would negate the cost argument as the mat would be used on successive phones as they are acquired. I think Matt has summed it up perfectly. "why would one want to plug their phone into a charger when all one has to do is place it on a mat?"

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Versus

I imagine the cost will come down once it's more mainstream. Some companies will probably start to include wireless charging with their standard feature set and include a charging pad in the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.