Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:38 AM   #1
mikethehamster
macrumors newbie

2012 MacBook Pro Flickers, Freezes, Won't Boot

Hey everyone,

I'm at my wit's end. I purchased a Mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro and upgraded it with a Intel 330 180GB SSD as well as with 8GB 1600Mhz of Corsair Vengeance Ram.

I upgraded to Mountain Lion without a hitch, but upon upgrading to 10.8.2, I started experiencing random reboots with message "your computer has restarted because of a problem." At the same time, apps would crash upon opening. Eventually, the computer failed to get past the grey screen with the spinning gear before turning itself off.

I tried PRAM resetting, putting in the original RAM but to no avail. So I put in the original hard drive (running 10.7.4) and managed to pull the files from the SSD via a USB enclosure. However this message came up:

Eventually the SSD was no longer detected by the computer. Anyway, even with the original hard drive, I still experienced random reboots, and was now experiencing flickering screens with blocky artifacts (picture below). For the past week and a half I've had to hard reset by holding the power button down multiple times. But now the same thing has happened again, the MacBook won't get past the grey screen with the spinning wheel. And again, the hard drive is mountable via enclosure but is only read only.

I don't know what to do, I feel like this is going to happen to every hard drive I put in the machine. This is what happens when I try to run it in single user mode (it won't boot in safe mode)

Flickering screen, this particularly happened when I was running safari.

Last edited by mikethehamster; Feb 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: put in what original hard drive was running
mikethehamster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook