Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, TechCrunch shared data from touch-based website developer Onswipe showing that, based on its user base of over 13 million monthly active users, over 21% of iPhone and iPad users had updated to iOS 6.1 in the first two days of availability.

ios6-users1.png

We've since followed up with Onswipe to see how the share of users on iOS 6.1 has moved over the past several days, and the firm tells us that it is now seeing over 26% of users running iOS 6.1 just four days after its debut.

Onswipe CEO Jason Baptiste noted earlier this week that the rapid rate of adoption for iOS 6.1, which appears to be the fastest in history for Apple, is likely due to user comfort with the company's over-the-air updates, introduced with iOS 5 in October 2011.

The rapid uptake of iOS updates contrasts strongly with Android devices, where mobile networks are responsible for updates and just 10% of users are on the latest Jelly Bean versions, first introduced last July. The majority of Android users are still using Gingerbread, which dates to December 2010, or earlier versions of the operating system.

Article Link: Developer Sees iOS 6.1 Adoption Pass 25% in First Four Days of Availability

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
iOS 6 has been a problem for me, so keen to try 6.1 in case it solved some issues. Unfortunately the biggie - wifi syncing - still isn't working from my iPhone or iPad (but does work from iTunes).

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
My battery seems to drain big time now with poor signal. I've always had weak signal in my office, but my phone is already down to 70% in 4 hours just sitting there.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Come on macrumors a little better reporting needed here. Jellybean is at 10% because the CARRIERS control who and what model phone can have it. Companies like verizon are known for never releasing updates to boost new phone sales. If android users had a choice the adoption would be much higher.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Come on macrumors a little better reporting needed here. Jellybean is at 10% because the CARRIERS control who and what model phone can have it. Companies like verizon are known for never releasing updates to boost new phone sales. If android users had a choice the adoption would be much higher.

Thank God Apple had the foresight to tell the carriers that they would not have anything to do with OS updates to Apple devices. I think Samsung, HTC, LG, and Motorola (Google) would have a lot more satisfied customers if they'd followed Apple's lead and told the carriers to go eff themselves with respect to OS updates.

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011

Doesn't the artical say they anyway?

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA

This a huge liability for Android, but a point easily lost on people who only compare hardware specs/prices. You would hope comparisons done by such groups as Consumer Reports would consider this

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Thank God Apple had the foresight to tell the carriers that they would not have anything to do with OS updates to Apple devices. I think Samsung, HTC, LG, and Motorola (Google) would have a lot more satisfied customers if they'd followed Apple's lead and told the carriers to go eff themselves with respect to OS updates.

And according to this article it looks like samsung may be heading that direction.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/02/01...to-test-new-update-services-from-galaxy-s-iv/

rajid

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
6.1 disconnect problems in itunes

Well, I upgraded to 6.1, but now my iPhone constantly disconnects when iTunes is trying to sync. It gets as far as "Waiting for updates to be applied" (something like that) and then tells me the iPhone has disconnected. I tried reboot, different cable, etc. Finally, reinstalled the entire OS on the phone (losing my preferences information because the backup couldn't complete), and it still disconnects continuously!

I'd love to backup to 6.0.1, but Apple doesn't allow that. Sigh. :(

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Nobody (outside of Google) cares why. The fact is, most Android devices are still running old versions.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, all that data thanks to the fact that people know a nice jailbreak is on the way.

Not really since many folks don't jailbreak. It's likely more due to the fact that it has an LTE update. And that any time you take your phone into an apple store for an issue if it isn't damage the first solution is factory restore and update iOS. Some 250 stores in the US, average of 10 hours open, 5 techs doing say 2 such restores an hour. That's a lot of updates right there.

And remember that this was from a sample, not the whole audience. Who knows what the whole image is. Could be higher or lower

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009

Exactly.

tsy111

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
We updated in the hope that they fixed the bugs.... But ...

This article is totally inaccurate. The only reason I updated is to fix the battery drain issue and wifi issues. Unfortunately it has made it worse. I am typing this on my iPad 1st generation as its my device that is still on ios5.

IOS 6 is an absolute disaster. Battery life of my 3GS, 4, iPad 3, wife's 4S and iPad 2 all terribly affected.

Apple needs to fix this now. In 2 weeks my cellular contract is up. If this is not fixed I will not be upgrading to the iPhone 5 but the Samsung S3...or S4 if it's out.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

That's the point. They don't have a choice. And this is the result of not having this choice.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
This article is totally inaccurate. The only reason I updated is to fix the battery drain issue and wifi issues. Unfortunately it has made it worse. I am typing this on my iPad 1st generation as its my device that is still on ios5.

IOS 6 is an absolute disaster. Battery life of my 3GS, 4, iPad 3, wife's 4S and iPad 2 all terribly affected.

Apple needs to fix this now. In 2 weeks my cellular contract is up. If this is not fixed I will not be upgrading to the iPhone 5 but the Samsung S3...or S4 if it's out.

Never had battery life issues with my iPad3 or iPhone 4 running IOS 6.

Since then I have upgraded, but I just don't see IOS 6 being a 'disaster '.

tsy111

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Never had battery life issues with my iPad3 or iPhone 4 running IOS 6.

Since then I have upgraded, but I just don't see IOS 6 being a 'disaster '.

With the maps issue, persistent wifi syncing errors, wifi and WPA2 connectivity errors, battery drain issues.... That is IMHO a veritable disaster. Look at the apple support forums, there are droves of people affected by IOS6.

It's got me so irritated that for the 1st time in years I am considering a non-apple mobile since the 3GS..

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

That's the point. With Android, they don't even have a choice. With Apple, users have a choice... even the least tech savvy of them. This is why our company loves developing for iOS. We can target the latest APIs and web features available because the upgrade rate is so good.

And web development for Android is a mess. Not only is there weak support for modern Android OS versions and huge variances in hardware performance but there are multiple different browsers in use as well. All with varying levels of support for the latest HTML, CSS, and javascript features. The result is that we have to design for the lowest common denominator.

Yep, that's right. It really doesn't matter if you're running a top of the line Android device with Jelly Bean. For most apps and sites you'll run into, your device is only using the same old APIs and features of a cheap old phone running Gingerbread.

This is the real downside of Android fragmentation for even the tech savviest of Android users who alway have the latest gear. They arguably suffer from Android fragmentation more than anyone because they pay top dollar for a device and barely ever get to use its capabilities in the apps it runs.

Meanwhile, even my tech illiterate mother in law is running iOS6.1 right now on her iPhone. She asked me if she update back in 5.x something but ever since then she does it completely on her own as soon as she is notified an update is available. And she gets to experience the best developers have to offer because they actually target her 2 year old iPhone with modern APIs and web standards that come with iOS6 because millions of other iOS users just like her update quickly as well.

Meanwhile her Dell computer is still running Windows XP SP2 with a bunch of updates for Windows, Office , Flash, and Java still not applied and her Xoom tablet is still running Android honeycomb collecting dust on a shelf. To her and millions of other regular people, upgrading software is often either scary (Windows) or not even a choice (Android).

iOS5+ is probably the most seamless OS upgrade experience consumers have ever had available and this is great for Apple, iOS developers, and iOS users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.