Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Whats the point of this app when you have find my iphone->on in icloud?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Whats the point of this app when you have find my iphone->on in icloud?

If you have say an iPad or Macbook and they get stolen you could use the app on your iPhone to locate the stolen device. iCloud.com will not work in Safari on the iPhone so you would need the app.

If the only Apple device you own is the iPhone, then yes... there is not much point in you having the app.

Quincy1

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
So my wife and I each have an iPhone 5 and our own seperate iTunes accounts and iCloud accounts. Is it possible to set up Find my iPhone on both phones and use one to find the other? I am confused because it seems that you need to be using the same iCloud account on each device but the screenshots for the app show several phones with peoples names next to them. Is this not possible?

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
So my wife and I each have an iPhone 5 and our own seperate iTunes accounts and iCloud accounts. Is it possible to set up Find my iPhone on both phones and use one to find the other? I am confused because it seems that you need to be using the same iCloud account on each device but the screenshots for the app show several phones with peoples names next to them. Is this not possible?

No, you will need to be on the same Apple ID account. An Apple ID supports up to 5 computers and 5 iDevices connected to iCloud. If you want to use two Apple IDs you will need to sign in to hers to find her iPhone and sign in to yours to find your iPhone

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
If anyone steals your phone, they might be smart enough to turn it off, at which point it will not show up in the app anyway.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
No, you will need to be on the same Apple ID account. An Apple ID supports up to 5 computers and 5 iDevices connected to iCloud. If you want to use two Apple IDs you will need to sign in to hers to find her iPhone and sign in to yours to find your iPhone

Uh, yes you can, I do this with my wife and a few friends. We can all see each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.