Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Hmmm. Well here's my deal. I have an asus rt-n56u. I had it on very old firmware. My i5 had horrendous speed and stability on it, on 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

I got fed up on day and updated my routers firmware, even though I generally have a "if it ain't broke" type mentality, I figured I might as well try.

I updated the router and since then, 5ghz on my i5 has been excellent. 2.4ghz is still crap. Why I have no clue.

My iPad 2 is the same story. It was perfect while I had it on ios 5.1.1. I updated to ios6 and wifi went downhill.

After router update, 5ghz is great. 2.4ghz crap.

No matter what anyone says, it's software related in one way or another.

Depends on the router itself, router firmware, and ios version.

Apple needs to figure this out

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hmmm. Well here's my deal. I have an asus rt-n56u. I had it on very old firmware. My i5 had horrendous speed and stability on it, on 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

I got fed up on day and updated my routers firmware, even though I generally have a "if it ain't broke" type mentality, I figured I might as well try.

I updated the router and since then, 5ghz on my i5 has been excellent. 2.4ghz is still crap. Why I have no clue.

My iPad 2 is the same story. It was perfect while I had it on ios 5.1.1. I updated to ios6 and wifi went downhill.

After router update, 5ghz is great. 2.4ghz crap.

No matter what anyone says, it's software related in one way or another.

Depends on the router itself, router firmware, and ios version.

Apple needs to figure this out

I hear you man, I hope they figure it out soon.
I can try updating my homes router but I dont know about messing with the one at work. And I also cant go around trying to update all the open wifi routers around:D

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I hear you man, I hope they figure it out soon.
I can try updating my homes router but I dont know about messing with the one at work. And I also cant go around trying to update all the open wifi routers around:D

Exactly. That's why apple needs to figure out what it is on the iphone that is wreaking havoc.

Make sure you can downgrade to the firmware you have currently on your router before you updated.

I updated a linksys router once, and the new fw was worse. So I tried to downgrade and it wouldn't let me

TaPaKaH

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Hey there!
Sorry for my english)
i have the same issue with app store on i5. i got 4s too but there is no problems with it. i brought my i5 to seller - he changed it for a new one - same issue. i bought a new router(Zyxel Keenetic instead of old DIR-615) - same. I went to some place for free wi-fi, found 1mb network - works good - faster than at home with 5mbit. I dont want to read all 27 pages of this topic to find did someone said about "b/g/n" and just "b" or not... but just in case: i changed wi-fi settings from b/g/n to b and got max download speed in AppStore(500kbps with 5mbit ethernet) instead of 30-50kbps. i know that it is not a perfect fix(100mbit(b/g/n) vs 10(b)) but may be it can helps someone.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Hey there!
Sorry for my english)
i have the same issue with app store on i5. i got 4s too but there is no problems with it. i brought my i5 to seller - he changed it for a new one - same issue. i bought a new router(Zyxel Keenetic instead of old DIR-615) - same. I went to some place for free wi-fi, found 1mb network - works good - faster than at home with 5mbit. I dont want to read all 27 pages of this topic to find did someone said about "b/g/n" and just "b" or not... but just in case: i changed wi-fi settings from b/g/n to b and got max download speed in AppStore(500kbps with 5mbit ethernet) instead of 30-50kbps. i know that it is not a perfect fix(100mbit(b/g/n) vs 10(b)) but may be it can helps someone.

Update to iOS 6.1. Then try wifi again

joshandstacy

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
Got my Iphone 5 exchanged for wifi problems

I was having slow speed and lots of disconnects from wifi. the IOS 6.1 update did not help at all.

It took 2 trips to the apple store but they switched my white iphone 5 32gb out for a new one after My phone wifi kept disconnecting and running slow.

I used my router (which has dd-wrt on it) to show the difference in signal strength between my iphone 5 and my wife's iphone 5.

After I showed them this screenshot they gave me a new phone and it solved the problem, my signal strength is now very close to what my wife's is.

wifisignal_zps106e4cad.jpg

Must have been the wifi chip or the antenna or something.

echo2011

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Just when I'm almost convinced to get myself the 5 for my upgrade this Saturday I see this...the 4s is looking better and better. :(

TaPaKaH

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Have you tried resetting network settings? Try setting your HTTP proxy to auto in your wifi settings. That makes my wifi much better

i tried all known solutions. nothing helps. google dns, genius for apps, proxy, restoring iphone and router, replasing router and phone... wothing... only b/g/n to b helps me.

or may be my router is wrong configured?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
i tried all known solutions. nothing helps. google dns, genius for apps, proxy, restoring iphone and router, replasing router and phone... wothing... only b/g/n to b helps me.

or may be my router is wrong configured?

Have you tried resetting your router to default settings? Have you tried updating your router firmware? Have you tried a power surge? (Unplug modem and router for 2-3 mins then power back on)

TaPaKaH

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Dam bruhh i dont know then i guess you have a defective phone...they will easily replace that for you for free

already replaced. as isaid before - all the same... i guess there are many people who have such problem with no solution? or just me?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
already replaced. as isaid before - all the same... i guess there are many people who have such problem with no solution? or just me?

I have absolutely no problem with my i5 on Wi-Fi..it could be your router to be honest

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I have absolutely no problem with my i5 on Wi-Fi..it could be your router to be honest

Same here. We have 3 iPhone 5's since launch day, and not one has any wifi issues at home, and no slow wifi issues on my iphone at work. At my mom's house, wifi is slow with all our iPhone 5's, but like you siad... I'm thinking it's her cable modem and wireless router we don't have any slow wireless issues at my house. Her cable modem (docsys 2.0) and wireless-g is very old also. I'm planning to buy new wireless and cable modem so I can donate our current setup to her. Her wireless is slow, but at least my mom doesn't have issues with FaceTime with current setup.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Same here. We have 3 iPhone 5's since launch day, and not one has any wifi issues at home, and no slow wifi issues on my iphone at work. At my mom's house, wifi is slow with all our iPhone 5's, but like you siad... I'm thinking it's her cable modem and wireless router we don't have any slow wireless issues at my house. Her cable modem (docsys 2.0) and wireless-g is very old also. I'm planning to buy new wireless and cable modem so I can donate our current setup to her. Her wireless is slow, but at least my mom doesn't have issues with FaceTime with current setup.

iOS 6.1 makes all the difference

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I was having slow speed and lots of disconnects from wifi. the IOS 6.1 update did not help at all.

It took 2 trips to the apple store but they switched my white iphone 5 32gb out for a new one after My phone wifi kept disconnecting and running slow.

I used my router (which has dd-wrt on it) to show the difference in signal strength between my iphone 5 and my wife's iphone 5.

After I showed them this screenshot they gave me a new phone and it solved the problem, my signal strength is now very close to what my wife's is.

Must have been the wifi chip or the antenna or something.

How did you measure that?

joshandstacy

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
How did you measure that?

My router displays wifi connection strength for all connections on it on its status page when you bring up the router in your web browser. It is a feature of the dd-wrt custom firmware that you can get for free for a good number of routers from the website below.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/

From the Genius Bar work authorization receipt they emailed me:

Problem Description/Diagnosis
Issue: Wifi drops connection at home while similar iPhone works fine
Steps to Reproduce: Observed at the bar, customer showed screen shots of signal strength from his router
Proposed Resolution: Swap under warranty has backup
Cosmetic Condition: Normal

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Have you tried resetting network settings? Try setting your HTTP proxy to auto in your wifi settings. That makes my wifi much better

Do you have to do that for each network or can you set that globally? It seems to be network specific from the settings menu.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Just when I'm almost convinced to get myself the 5 for my upgrade this Saturday I see this...the 4s is looking better and better. :(

I ended up selling my iPhone 5 last week and going back to the 4S because of the wi-fi issues. There are no issues with the 4S.

I figure I'll buy the 5S when it comes out. I'm sure Apple will fix all these issues on that device.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Do you have to do that for each network or can you set that globally? It seems to be network specific from the settings menu.

I just did it for my own router, I found out that it actually made all the difference for me

----------

I ended up selling my iPhone 5 last week and going back to the 4S because of the wi-fi issues. There are no issues with the 4S.

I figure I'll buy the 5S when it comes out. I'm sure Apple will fix all these issues on that device.

There isnt issues with a i5 either you were just unfourtnate to recieve a defective i5. My iphone 5 is working spectacular on wi-fi(better wifi performance then my brother's Note 2)

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I just did it for my own router, I found out that it actually made all the difference for me

----------

There isnt issues with a i5 either you were just unfourtnate to recieve a defective i5. My iphone 5 is working spectacular on wi-fi(better wifi performance then my brother's Note 2)

OK, I thought you meant the option on the phone for "auto" proxy that can be selected for each network that you are connected to at the time.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

I suppose, if a few glitches/problems for a small sample of the entire buying population deters you from making a purchase, I suggest simply stuffing all your money in a mattress and not worrying about buying any new phone....

Bugs happen - its nice to know what problems are out there, but remember - the percentage of people ranting and raving on macrumors makes up a very very small percentage of the overall buying population.

And chances are, if you purchase an iPhone 5, it will work just fine. Mine has. And even if it doesn't - there is no better customer service.

So don't sweat it - the 5 is an improvement over the 4S and unless you don't have LTE coverage and REALLY hate the 4" screen, it would be well worth it to get the 5.

Just my $0.02.

echo2011

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
I suppose, if a few glitches/problems for a small sample of the entire buying population deters you from making a purchase, I suggest simply stuffing all your money in a mattress and not worrying about buying any new phone....

Bugs happen - its nice to know what problems are out there, but remember - the percentage of people ranting and raving on macrumors makes up a very very small percentage of the overall buying population.

And chances are, if you purchase an iPhone 5, it will work just fine. Mine has. And even if it doesn't - there is no better customer service.

So don't sweat it - the 5 is an improvement over the 4S and unless you don't have LTE coverage and REALLY hate the 4" screen, it would be well worth it to get the 5.

Just my $0.02.
I was thinking of stuffing that ol' mattress believe me! :p

Yah, good advice, the same thing applies to buying anything really, I remember researching video cards a few years ago and seeing the same thing...toss the dice and I was always good to go. So on that note I will get the 5 tomorrow. Thanks for the great communication!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.