Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:33 PM   #1
spellflower
macrumors regular

Converting .MTS Videos from Panasonic Lumix Camera

I own a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 camera that I bought about 3 years ago.

It uses a special format for videos, and came with special software to convert them, but that software only runs on PCs.

I know there are a lot of 3rd party software programs out there that can handle this.

I tried one called iSkySoft, which had a free trial, but the sound was terribly out of sync.

So who else has a Panasonic and a Mac? What software is worth the money?
spellflower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

You could try the following two methods involving free applications to get editable or playable video files from .MTS files.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:55 PM   #3
spellflower
macrumors regular

Thanks! I'll give those a shot.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:07 PM   #4
spellflower
macrumors regular

I tried downloading the "small tool" but when I tried to open it, Stuffit Expander said the file "does not appear to be compressed or encoded." and couldn't do anything with it.

Suggestions?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:52 PM   #5
spellflower
macrumors regular

Okay, I got the small tool- for some reason, Chrome couldn't download it, but Firefox could.
Unfortunately, it has the same problem as the other programs I've tried (iSkySoft and ClipWrap)- the sound is out of sync with the picture.

I also tried the ReWrap method, but when I drag a file onto the icon, nothing happens. Well, almost nothing- ReWrap briefly appears in the upper left where the name of the active application appears, but then it goes back to Chrome after a second.

Is there no way to convert these files into something useful that preserves the sound/picture sync? I'd be willing to pay for something that does! I can't believe this is so hard! My old Canon just put the movies into iPhoto. I don't see any advantage to having compressed files that I can't do anything with.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:36 AM   #6
drambuie
macrumors 6502a

My Sony camcorder produces video files in the .m2ts format, which is supposedly identical to .mts. I discovered that, if the .m2ts files are renamed to .mpg, QT player 10.2 will open them. Then they can be exported as .mov files. The largest file I've converted so far is 150MB, and it saved as .mov in less than a minute on a 2012 iMac with a 3.4GHz i7 and a 1TB fusion drive.
drambuie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:00 PM   #7
spellflower
macrumors regular

I tried renaming one of my .MTS files .mpg, but Quicktime said could not be opened.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:11 PM   #8
simsaladimbamba

Could you record a small sample file (1 or 2 seconds) of nothing important and upload it as compressed ZIP somewhere for someone else to download and try upon?

If you still have the files on the card and the folder structure is intact, try iMovie > File > Import from Camera.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:06 PM   #9
drambuie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellflower View Post
I tried renaming one of my .MTS files .mpg, but Quicktime said could not be opened.
Maybe Panasonic uses a different .mts format than Sony. I just remembered that the camcorder's video files on SD media are .mts. It's the Sony Windows app that names them *.m2ts. Also, iMovie can import Sony video straight from my Sony camcorder, except for 1080 60p.

You are using QT 10.x? QT 7.x.x won't work with these files.
drambuie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:12 AM   #10
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

According to this:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368236,00.asp
your camera records video as AVCHD(lite) at 720p30 and as Motion Jpeg. iMovie won't recognise the Motion Jpeg but should be able to import the AVCHD format.

Try what simsaladimbamba suggests. Failing that, try copying across to your Mac the ENTIRE folder structure from your camera card and then try Import>Camera Archive.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:40 PM   #11
spellflower
macrumors regular

Thanks- I have iMovie '08, and it doesn't recognize .MTS/AVCHD.

Someone on another forum suggested trying to play the converted files that were out of sync on a different computer, and as it turns out, they played fine. Apparently, it's just something about my 2008 MacBook that can't play the MP4 conversions in sync. Actually, VLC did play them in sync, but the picture was distorted.

Anyway, since I can play the .MTS files on VLC, and the converted MP4 files are fine when I upload them, I'm good.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I have iMovie '08, and it doesn't recognize .MTS/AVCHD.
In that case, I would suggest upgrading to iMovie11(it's only a few $s). It's far far better than iMovie8 and it recognises .mts/AVCHD, so should import from your camera. However, you will need to be running Lion to do that.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:48 PM   #13
spellflower
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
In that case, I would suggest upgrading to iMovie11(it's only a few $s). It's far far better than iMovie8 and it recognises .mts/AVCHD, so should import from your camera. However, you will need to be running Lion to do that.
iMovie might not be much cash, but iMovie plus Lion plus the RAM to run them, and pretty soon we're talking some real bucks.

Handbrake is doing a pretty good job, and VLC plays my files, so I'm getting by.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:04 PM   #14
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
iMovie plus Lion plus the RAM to run them, and pretty soon we're talking some real bucks.
Yeah, that's true.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X