Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:26 AM   #1
gregorsamsa
macrumors 6502a

Napoleon: Total War - Gold Edition, coming to Mac

More great news for Mac gamers who like top-notch strategy, but prefer to stick with Mac-native titles. Feral announce:

http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/m...es/napoleontw/

Seriously looking forward to this as much as I did to both Rome & Empire!
gregorsamsa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:33 AM   #2
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

We are looking for beta testers for Rome and Empire updates and the best ones might just get early access to Napoleon if anyone is interested...
edddeduck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:35 AM   #3
iwan073
macrumors regular

Who wouldn't be interested??
iwan073 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
We are looking for beta testers for Rome and Empire updates and the best ones might just get early access to Napoleon if anyone is interested...
Not interested in this, but when you're looking for Xcom beta testers...I'm so there.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:00 AM   #5
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
Not interested in this, but when you're looking for Xcom beta testers...I'm so there.
I have no clue what you are talking about... ... ... ... ... ...
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:39 PM   #6
gregorsamsa
macrumors 6502a

By the by, do you guys at Feral have plans for a DVD version option of "Napoleon: Total War", as with Empire, or is it destined to be available only as a download from the App Store? Thanks in advance for any reply!
gregorsamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:02 PM   #7
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

Quote:
This was the first thing that popped into my mind.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:32 PM   #8
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

All our games ship on DVD and all the popular Mac digital download stores like MacGamesStore and AppStore. We don't however support Steam at this time.

The DVD usually ships a few weeks after the download due to manufacturing and shipping overhead compared to download.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:39 PM   #9
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

I will beta test. Is this game similar to europa universalis?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:18 AM   #10
mrmarts
macrumors 6502a

I currently have empire total war on my mac which runs great. Will the system requirements for napoleon total war be the same, I have seen a growing thread of games requiring a 1gb video card. However my mid 2010 iMac uses a 512 ati video card will my system be able to run it.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Would love to get Napoleon Total War, adding it to my To Buy list. Been a wargamer since the old days when there were REAL wargames from companies like Avalon Hill, SPI and GDW. The kids wouldn't know what I'm referring to.

And of course, most grognards today have gone digital.... mostly playing the sophisticated strategy games based on Paradox's Europa Universalis engine.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:27 AM   #12
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarts View Post
I currently have empire total war on my mac which runs great. Will the system requirements for napoleon total war be the same, I have seen a growing thread of games requiring a 1gb video card. However my mid 2010 iMac uses a 512 ati video card will my system be able to run it.
They will be very similar to Empire. Your Mac will play the game fine on release.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Trinite
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Would love to get Napoleon Total War, adding it to my To Buy list. Been a wargamer since the old days when there were REAL wargames from companies like Avalon Hill, SPI and GDW. The kids wouldn't know what I'm referring to.
Avalon Hill! SPI! Those were the days.... Sigh....

(though, to be honest, back then we would have died just to be able to imagine something like these games are now...)
Trinite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:06 PM   #14
gregorsamsa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinite View Post

(though, to be honest, back then we would have died just to be able to imagine something like these games are now...)
Fair to say, back then most of us probably never even imagined games like the Total War series.

FWIW, even more recently (ie. 1990s) I've played some of those massive Avalon Hill board games with dedicated war-gaming friends over successive weekends. Some that come to mind, "The Russian Campaign", a certain "Napoleonic" game (probably "Waterloo"), et al.

IMO, though in some ways those games can't compare with the best modern-day war games, like the "Total War" series, as a fun, if a little intense, social event they probably still more than cut it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:14 PM   #15
-Ryan-
macrumors 68000

Quote:
All our games ship on DVD and all the popular Mac digital download stores like MacGamesStore and AppStore. We don't however support Steam at this time.

The DVD usually ships a few weeks after the download due to manufacturing and shipping overhead compared to download.
I'm sure this has been answered previously, but why do you not support Steam?
-Ryan- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:50 PM   #16
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinite View Post

My uncle brought a copy of Avalon Hill's Gettysburg back from the USA in 1966.

I also remember the magazine Strategy and Tactics SPI back in the 1970's.

I was lucky to have parents who didn't mind that I took over one of the spare bedrooms to set up War in Europe.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:08 PM   #17
pgeric
macrumors newbie

I would really enjoy beta testing Napoleon Total War! Awesome game!
pgeric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorsamsa View Post
Fair to say, back then most of us probably never even imagined games like the Total War series.

FWIW, even more recently (ie. 1990s) I've played some of those massive Avalon Hill board games with dedicated war-gaming friends over successive weekends. Some that come to mind, "The Russian Campaign", a certain "Napoleonic" game (probably "Waterloo"), et al.

IMO, though in some ways those games can't compare with the best modern-day war games, like the "Total War" series, as a fun, if a little intense, social event they probably still more than cut it.
IMHO, the modern-day computerized wargames have come a long way. Of course they don't compare to the social aspect of face-to-face tabletop wargaming with friends, pizza and beer included! Still the modern PC/Mac wargames are every bit as sophisticated these days. One caveat I noticed, however, is the slight tendency to "dumb down" the historical detail of these computer wargames. Why? Maybe the designers/developers just aren't true military historians. Or possibly because the game has to be more "gamey" (focusing more on the graphics flash factor) for the sake of sales to the masses, which means they do have to dumb down the realism and historical/tactical detail aspects a bit.

After all, any wargame that gets too detailed and too historically accurate, might possibly have a steep learning curve for most people, and that could translate into poor sales of the PC/Mac game. I guess it's a tradeoff we have to live with.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:13 AM   #19
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
I'm sure this has been answered previously, but why do you not support Steam?
We can't go into details but essentially the licensing model Steam launched with was not feasible for Feral. This does not mean we won't be on Steam in the future it just means we are not on Steam right now.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:15 AM   #20
gregorsamsa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
IMHO, the modern-day computerized wargames have come a long way. Of course they don't compare to the social aspect of face-to-face tabletop wargaming with friends, pizza and beer included! Still the modern PC/Mac wargames are every bit as sophisticated these days. One caveat I noticed, however, is the slight tendency to "dumb down" the historical detail of these computer wargames. Why? Maybe the designers/developers just aren't true military historians. Or possibly because the game has to be more "gamey" (focusing more on the graphics flash factor) for the sake of sales to the masses, which means they do have to dumb down the realism and historical/tactical detail aspects a bit.

After all, any wargame that gets too detailed and too historically accurate, might possibly have a steep learning curve for most people, and that could translate into poor sales of the PC/Mac game. I guess it's a tradeoff we have to live with.
Agreed & I think you hit the nail on the head with your last point. Though many war/strategy gamers appreciate realism & a good degree of complexity, they're satisfied to have some trade-off compromises.

I mean, the Avalon Hill board games I played even factored in various weather conditions which, if particularly bad (eg. lots of rain, mud, etc.) meant that in some games ("Waterloo") you couldn't do much at all until the weather improved.

Overall, I think that the Total War series probably has just the right balance.

However, if you're interested in greater historical accuracy, some war games on PC do replicate historical details faithfully enough.

Games like "Take Command: 2nd Manassas", are graphically rich, but have battlefields based on actual historical records held at the Library of Congress. The maps, allotment of troops, ballistics, etc. are as realistic as possible.

Though it allows for some optional customization, maybe a game worth Bootcamping for those wanting much greater historical accuracy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Take-Command...141167&sr=1-10
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:22 AM   #21
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Also if it is too realistic it would not be fun, games are meant to be fun the real napoleonic wars took the lives of 5-7 million (about 5%) of Europe's population, that is far from being fun.

On top of all the killing, real battles also took days if not weeks to complete so a little artistic license is needed if you are to make any type of dramatisation of history, be that games, books or film. That said the total realism mods are pretty realistic in terms of weapons, tactics etc.

Edwin
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:24 AM   #22
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
We can't go into details but essentially the licensing model Steam launched with was not feasible for Feral. This does not mean we won't be on Steam in the future it just means we are not on Steam right now.
It's changed now, though. Aspyr was able to release a Mac-only version of Black Ops.

I've always wondered how they make money off of their SteamPlay games. They posted a while back that they only get paid if the user plays on the Mac side the most for the first week. So if you bought, say, the civ v expansion before the Mac version was released and played it in bootcamp, Aspyr wouldn't receive anything, even if you completely switched over to the Mac version later.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:49 AM   #23
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It's changed now, though. Aspyr was able to release a Mac-only version of Black Ops.

I've always wondered how they make money off of their SteamPlay games. They posted a while back that they only get paid if the user plays on the Mac side the most for the first week. So if you bought, say, the civ v expansion before the Mac version was released and played it in bootcamp, Aspyr wouldn't receive anything, even if you completely switched over to the Mac version later.
I can't and won't go into detail but I will refer the honourable poster to the following line in my previous reply.

Quote:
This does not mean we won't be on Steam in the future it just means we are not on Steam right now.

Last edited by edddeduck; Feb 6, 2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Unfortunate Typo
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:00 AM   #24
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
I can't and won't go into detail but I will refer the honourable poster to the following line in my previous reply.
Can't wait to buy Xcom for Mac on Steam!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:33 AM   #25
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Can't wait to buy Xcom for Mac on Steam!
I can't wait to buy the winning lotto ticket

Edwin

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games