Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:56 PM   #26
Vegastouch
macrumors 601
 
Vegastouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
Biased? So, having an opinion that doesn't align with your own makes me biased?
Perhaps I just have a different opinion on how the commercials operate
I think some of them are clever or cute, but I don't find them compelling

I happen to own a Galaxy S3, it is my work phone
I also happen to own an iPhone 5, my personal phone
So I have used both a good bit
OK, fair enough.

But Apple has done the same thing with their commercials and Samsung has some that do show how they operate as well. I think many of their commercials show what they can do but just not that particular one and they use humor in them which is good.
Vegastouch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:58 PM   #27
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
If i had to guess. Since this is SAMSUNG were talking about. I think they're gonna go for the throat. Either its Samsung for business. ( but thats not as interesting) Or like I said. "the Throat". (Galaxy Note II, Galaxy S3 or i don't know maybe the Samsung Galaxy S4 since Blackberry announced its Z10 & Q10 Wednesday.

Your thoughts.??
hovscorpion12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:18 PM   #28
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
I don't know if this is shown on television but for an online campaign, if you're talking about it, I'd say its successful.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:24 PM   #29
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040
 
Roessnakhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Albuquerque, USA
Better call Saul.
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage
portfolio | twitter | flickr | last.fm
Roessnakhan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:54 PM   #30
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightMan View Post
So while Apple continues to make commercials that are just so effing boring. Samsung continues to go for the funny bone. This time taking a shot at the patent trolls.
Patents?

Looks much more like they're simply taking a shot at atheletic brand licensing.
kdarling is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:06 PM   #31
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Patents?

Looks much more like they're simply taking a shot at atheletic brand licensing.
I definitely got a hint of them taking a shot at patents with the whole "or else they'll sue us."

Nothing in marketing is accidental. Everything is intentional. Even if it wasn't intentional, one can't help but conjure up the Apple vs. Samsung trials when the word "sue" is being related to Samsung.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:56 PM   #32
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
I definitely got a hint of them taking a shot at patents with the whole "or else they'll sue us."
I got that impression as well. Maybe it's from being on tech forums to much..
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:19 PM   #33
Truefan31
macrumors 65816
 
Truefan31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
May have some potential but it seems kind of silly to build an ad campaign, especially during the SB about something the vast majority of people won't know anything about. The funny will be lost on most.

That said, why do their ads never focus on the product and what it can do for you?

I've seen the galaxy phones use s beam, nfc, playlist video sharing, multi-windows, hand gestures to do phone commands, etc. Also seen the s pen in action editing photos, drawings, etc.

I've seen the iphone do panaramic and do not disturb.
Truefan31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:23 PM   #34
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truefan31 View Post
I've seen the galaxy phones use s beam, nfc, playlist video sharing, multi-windows, hand gestures to do phone commands, etc. Also seen the s pen in action editing photos, drawings, etc.

I've seen the iphone do panaramic and do not disturb.
..and don't forget about noise cancellation lol
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:26 PM   #35
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Don't forget this one, where Apple implies the design of the iPhone 5 defies the laws of physics with the baffling question: "How do you make something bigger, and also smaller?"

Even figuratively, this is a pretty sad ad.


onthecouchagain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:05 PM   #36
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Don't forget this one, where Apple implies the design of the iPhone 5 defies the laws of physics with the baffling question: "How do you make something bigger, and also smaller?"

Even figuratively, this is a pretty sad ad.


YouTube: video
Looks pretty good to me. Love all the actors in the ad.

Yet it's sad this company has to focus all their commercials circulating around Apple. It's like deep down they feel that Apple products are better and spend all their energy overcompensating with **** talk.

I think Apple's ads are more Don Draper-esque. Meaning they want to give the impression they aren't even thinking about the Koreans and that they are a non-factor to Apple.

At the end of the day it seems like Apple focus on creativity and Samsung are trying to overcompensate for something (like a chihuahua or midget).
Dmaynard83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:09 PM   #37
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaynard83 View Post
Looks pretty good to me. Love all the actors in the ad.

Yet it's sad this company has to focus all their commercials circulating around Apple. It's like deep down they feel that Apple products are better and spend all their energy overcompensating with **** talk.

I think Apple's ads are more Don Draper-esque. Meaning they want to give the impression they aren't even thinking about the Koreans and that they are a non-factor to Apple.

At the end of the day it seems like Apple focus on creativity and Samsung are trying to overcompensate for something (like a chihuahua or midget).
What's creative about saying your phone defies the laws of physics? That's more stupidity than creativity. What's creative about touting noise cancellation...especially when it's been on smartphones for at least 4 years already? That sounds more like, not having anything else to talk about, than anything else. While Samsung shows new features like Multiple Windows on the screen, Apple is talking about noise cancellation... While Samsung is talking about beaming content to your friends, Apple is talking about their bigger smaller phone... ....How creative..
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:21 PM   #38
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
What's creative about saying your phone defies the laws of physics? That's more stupidity than creativity. What's creative about touting noise cancellation...especially when it's been on smartphones for at least 4 years already? That sounds more like, not having anything else to talk about, than anything else. While Samsung shows new features like Multiple Windows on the screen, Apple is talking about noise cancellation... While Samsung is talking about beaming content to your friends, Apple is talking about their bigger smaller phone... ....How creative..
I won't start with the different features and how long they have been out. But I think you are proving my point, Apple is advertising a feature and making people want the phone because of that feature (even if the feature is old technology).

They are also advertising they are slimming down their phone and at the same time increasing the display. This is impressive because Samsung is INCREASING their phone's size(aka Note II "phablet).

Maybe Samsung needs to start advertising the MANY features they have instead of throwing dirt. They are doing a very poor job because the average joe out there only knows they have S-Beam and NFC (which barely any business have). The S3 has so many more features which Samsung have done a ****-poor job advertising.
Dmaynard83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:27 PM   #39
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaynard83 View Post
I won't start with the different features and how long they have been out. But I think you are proving my point, Apple is advertising a feature and making people want the phone because of that feature (even if the feature is old technology).
I'd approach it from a different standpoint, and say they have nothing better to tout...but they still have to tout something...

Quote:
They are also advertising they are slimming down their phone and at the same time increasing the display. This is impressive because Samsung is INCREASING their phone's size(aka Note II "phablet).
Au contraire, the Galaxy S3 has a larger screen than the S2 and is thinner than the S2.... try again.

Quote:
Maybe Samsung needs to start advertising the MANY features they have instead of throwing dirt. They are doing a very poor job because the average joe out there only knows they have S-Beam and NFC (which barely any business have). The S3 has so many more features which Samsung have done a ****-poor job advertising.
As previously stated, Samsung has been advertising their features. They just do it in a much more creative and humorous way than Apple.
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:38 PM   #40
flameproof
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightMan View Post
This is just the teaser, we'll have to wait till the Super Bowl to see the actual ad they come up with. Should be funny given the actors.
...ok, now I got it..... lol.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaynard83 View Post
Yet it's sad this company has to focus all their commercials circulating around Apple.
I think Samsung has amazing products, but that type of ads devalues that and sounds desperate.
flameproof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:43 PM   #41
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
I'd approach it from a different standpoint, and say they have nothing better to tout...but they still have to tout something...
Sure they do. iOS is infinitely smoother/faster. When I was on my friend's S3 you could tell very easily the framerate is much much more choppy than on iOS. Apps are more abundant and better because developers are more willing to update/release apps for iOS because most apps are paid for on iOS as opposed to android. Apple could spend all day making ads on how slow/choppy android is compared to iOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
Au contraire, the Galaxy S3 has a larger screen than the S2 and is thinner than the S2.... try again.
WRONG. The S3 is bigger.

Galaxy S2 measures 125.3mm in height, 66mm in width, 8.5 mm thickness and weighs around 116gms. While the successor Galaxy S3 measures 136.6mm in height, 70.6mm in width, 8.6mm thickness and weighs around 133gms. But, it isn’t a heavy device for sure. Try again buddy.



Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
As previously stated, Samsung has been advertising their features. They just do it in a much more creative and humorous way than Apple.
I don't think it's creative at all. They focus all their ad work around Apple. Apple focus on their features/design. Could you see Don Draper focusing on a competitor in all their ads? No, because it takes more to be creative.

Apple's ads make people want to buy it based on their features, fun appeal and design without having to focus on a company that they want to give the impression is a non-factor.
Dmaynard83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:52 PM   #42
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
The iPhone 5 is bigger than the iPhone 4S.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:53 PM   #43
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaynard83 View Post
Sure they do. iOS is infinitely smoother/faster. When I was on my friend's S3 you could tell very easily the framerate is much much more choppy than on iOS. Apps are more abundant and better because developers are more willing to update/release apps for iOS because most apps are paid for on iOS as opposed to android. Apple could spend all day making ads on how slow/choppy android is compared to iOS.
You're thinking from a message board member's point of view. When my mother, or my neighbor, or my girlfriend looks at a phone, they aren't concerned if the framerate may or may not be a couple frames faster or slower. That would be a horrible commercial...kind of like the physics commercial. As for apps, the difference isn't nearly as ostensible as you make it out to be. You're overstating that one by a bit. It would seem you haven't experienced Android recently at all (besides perhaps playing with a phone in the store for a few minutes).


Quote:
I don't think it's creative at all. They focus all their ad work around Apple. Apple focus on their features/design. Could you see Don Draper focusing on a competitor in all their ads? No, because it takes more to be creative.

Apple's ads make people want to buy it based on their features, fun appeal and design without having to focus on a company that they want to give the impression is a non-factor.
I don't blame them one bit for going after Apple. Samsung has a better product and they know it...and they don't mind pointing that out.
The iGentleman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:00 AM   #44
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
The iPhone 5 is bigger than the iPhone 4S.
Wrong.


Last edited by Dmaynard83; Feb 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
Dmaynard83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:01 AM   #45
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
At least when Samsung does put out commercials highlighting features the features are new, showing people their device doing something very few other phones can do.

There is literally nothing new for apple to put in an iPhone commercial that most of the competition doesn't also/already have. And that's a sad statement on the latest iPhone and iOS 6, whether you like their commercials or not.
onthecouchagain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:05 AM   #46
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
At least when Samsung does put out commercials highlighting features the features are new, showing people their device doing something very few other phones can do.

There is literally nothing new for apple to put in an iPhone commercial that most of the competition doesn't also/already have. And that's a sad statement on the latest iPhone and iOS 6, whether you like their commercials or not.
Sure there's something new....an extra row of icons...
The iGentleman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:06 AM   #47
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
I don't blame them one bit for going after Apple. Samsung has a better product and they know it...and they don't mind pointing that out.
Not to mention it's just marketing 101. You go after the competition. Many companies advertise this way. Even :gasp: Apple!
onthecouchagain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:09 AM   #48
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Not to mention it's just marketing 101. You go after the competition. Many companies advertise this way. Even :gasp: Apple!
Exactly. Vehicle manufacturers do it all the time. Apple did it with their Mac vs. PC ads, so this guy's point is beyond moot.
The iGentleman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:15 AM   #49
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
You're thinking from a message board member's point of view. When my mother, or my neighbor, or my girlfriend looks at a phone, they aren't concerned if the framerate may or may not be a couple frames faster or slower. That would be a horrible commercial...kind of like the physics commercial. As for apps, the difference isn't nearly as ostensible as you make it out to be. You're overstating that one by a bit. It would seem you haven't experienced Android recently at all (besides perhaps playing with a phone in the store for a few minutes).
I'm not just talking out of my ass. Do a quick google search on which apps are updated and are better than the other. http://readwrite.com/2013/01/30/the-...y-than-android


Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
I don't blame them one bit for going after Apple. Samsung has a better product and they know it...and they don't mind pointing that out.
It's not about blaming them. It just shows how desperate they are to try and throw dirt on the other company. Now Samsung being the better product (LOL) is debatable and we will go on and on about which one is better. In the end lets leave it to personal preference instead of having a pissing contest.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
At least when Samsung does put out commercials highlighting features the features are new, showing people their device doing something very few other phones can do.

There is literally nothing new for apple to put in an iPhone commercial that most of the competition doesn't also/already have. And that's a sad statement on the latest iPhone and iOS 6, whether you like their commercials or not.
All 4 of the S3 owners I know talk about them having features that the iPhone doesn't have (thats fine by me), but they all agree they are too much of a pain in the ass to get to, to actually enjoy and use easily (like how they are seen in the commercials).

Apple focuses on having a fast effecient, easy to use device. With probably not all the features (and some should ask do we even need and or want these features).

Apple ads focus on the design, accessibility, efficient and fast to use device.
I know the S3 has more to it than NFC and S-Beam (which by the way seems like a worthless feature, because with LTE on my I5 I upload/download at insane speeds already and don't really require any NFC capabilities).

Come on guys, you gotta admit they've been toting this NFC nonsense which is just a pain in the ass to get to and probably NEVER use.

Last edited by Dmaynard83; Feb 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Dmaynard83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:42 AM   #50
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
Exactly. Vehicle manufacturers do it all the time. Apple did it with their Mac vs. PC ads, so this guy's point is beyond moot.
Yup.

Honestly, as an apple fan, it makes me sad to see those iPhone ads. They're really telling that the competition has really moved ahead and beyond. No other company, as far as I've seen, is advertising features that have been around for ages. Panoramic camera, noise cancellation, a thinner phone with a larger screen... It's just sad stuff. None of that is even remotely new in the smartphone world.

I guess apple's gotta find someway to let people know that they've caught up.
onthecouchagain is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phones: Teaser video for rumored announcement of Samsung Galaxy J tbayrgs Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 15 Dec 8, 2013 06:02 PM
I Live - Official Teaser 3danix iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 May 2, 2013 11:24 PM
Galaxy S4 Teaser Squilly Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 5 Mar 7, 2013 03:04 AM
An adventure promo teaser FrankieTDouglas Digital Video 4 Aug 2, 2012 09:35 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC