Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:55 AM   #1
ugr
macrumors newbie

How to play GTA 4 on Mac?

Sorry about my last post about this game. How do i play this gta 4 on my mac WITHOUT USING PIRATED SOFTWARE SUCH AS TORRENTS?!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:54 AM   #2
imacken
macrumors 6502a

Bootcamp or a Parallels VM.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
doh123
macrumors 65816

what does pirated software have to do with anything? You can install Windows in a dual boot (aka Bootcamp) and just use Windows... might work ok in Windows in a VM too. I think GTA4 works ok with Wine (like Wineskin or Crossover) as well too, so you wouldn't need Windows.
doh123 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:26 PM   #4
ugr
macrumors newbie

Listen. I don't want to use parallels or vm. I'm asking how to play gta 4 on a mac without using parallels or vm, alright?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:29 PM   #5
imacken
macrumors 6502a

No idea why you are being so rude, but Bootcamp or Parallels are your only option.
It might work in a wrapper, but the 2 options above are really it. End of story.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Sirobin
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Sirobin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugr View Post
Listen. I don't want to use parallels or vm. I'm asking how to play gta 4 on a mac without using parallels or vm, alright?
Then maybe you should have said that to begin with?
Sirobin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:10 PM   #7
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Wineskin.
It's free and legal.
or Crossover, which is not free, but also legal.

There is also Cider (which the GTA 3, Sims 3, Guild Wars2, Dragon Age games are using), which is a commercial branch of wine, which is not in sale, but depending on where in the world you live it is possible to use those games framework to run GTA 4 legal, if you own the games of course.

In all cases, you will need to buy the PC version of GTA 4.
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:14 PM   #8
koolmagicguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
No idea why you are being so rude, but Bootcamp or Parallels are your only option.
It might work in a wrapper, but the 2 options above are really it. End of story.
It's probably her time of the month.
But I agree with your solutions. Although Windows 7 runs perfectly on my MacBook Pro and I don't like running virtualization software.
koolmagicguy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah chill out if you're asking for help.
Lark.Landon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:41 AM   #10
ScholarsInk
macrumors regular

GTA IV is really terribly optimized to begin with, and barely functional on even high-end PCs, so to further cripple it through virtualization or portion sounds like a very bad idea.
ScholarsInk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:36 AM   #11
OSXAppleMan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
what does pirated software have to do with anything? You can install Windows in a dual boot (aka Bootcamp) and just use Windows... might work ok in Windows in a VM too. I think GTA4 works ok with Wine (like Wineskin or Crossover) as well too, so you wouldn't need Windows.
Unfortunately guys, I think it wants you to install Direct X which Mac's cannot do. And only if you got a Windows CD you might be in luck.

Thank You,
OSXMacMan
OSXAppleMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:56 AM   #12
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

GTA 4 is what Crysis use to be. I think the new high-end iMac with the Nvidia 680MX will run it best. You can try that in a VM. Crysis eventually was playable in a VM as hardware got more powerful.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:40 AM   #13
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSXAppleMan View Post
Unfortunately guys, I think it wants you to install Direct X which Mac's cannot do. And only if you got a Windows CD you might be in luck.

Thank You,
OSXMacMan
Yes, you can in wine and crossover.

Quote:
GTA 4 is what Crysis use to be. I think the new high-end iMac with the Nvidia 680MX will run it best. You can try that in a VM. Crysis eventually was playable in a VM as hardware got more powerful.
Not really, Crysis was a technical pretty good game. GTA4 was released not long after and it is pretty much the worst PC port ever made. Even new high end rigs does have problems with, just because it's buggy.
Even with a may times faster machine than recommended specs lists, i do get frame drops from time to time in windows 7.
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:26 AM   #14
benlinus121
macrumors newbie

Mac

My Mac is too old/underpowered so I'm not going to even try, but I'll point out that Boot Camp is another option that requires no additional software (besides Windows), as it simply partitions the hard drive allowing you to install Windows on the other partition and provides a way to select the boot partition at startup.

Programs like Parallels will have a performance penalty because Mac OS X is still running too, but Boot Camp lets you run just Windows, so GTA IV should be as good as on a PC with the same hardware specs as the Mac.
benlinus121 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:18 PM   #15
Boogsephine
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluthz View Post
Not really, Crysis was a technical pretty good game. GTA4 was released not long after and it is pretty much the worst PC port ever made. Even new high end rigs does have problems with, just because it's buggy.
Even with a may times faster machine than recommended specs lists, i do get frame drops from time to time in windows 7.
Is the port from Windows to Mac just a bad port? I was able to get the GTA IV installed on my iMac and everything looks great until the gameplay actually starts. It's beyond choppy and I can't even play the game due to the lag. I'm not too concerned about it but it would be nice to play that game on my iMac when I'm bored. :P

I have an i7 Intel iMac, 16GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB. I downloaded Wineskin but am still a bit confused on how to use it or know what it's actually doing.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:01 PM   #16
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogsephine View Post
Is the port from Windows to Mac just a bad port?
No, the port from console to Windows was bad. Trying to run a bad port via emulation is even worse.
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:45 PM   #17
Boogsephine
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
No, the port from console to Windows was bad. Trying to run a bad port via emulation is even worse.
So there is really no way it'll run well if it's installed via OSX? I wasn't using Parallels or Bootcamp. Just followed the steps on how to install it (simple) but the game play just doesn't work.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:10 PM   #18
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I wasn't using Parallels or Bootcamp.
What did you use?
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:34 PM   #19
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So there is really no way it'll run well if it's installed via OSX?
In a word, no.
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:49 AM   #20
Boogsephine
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
What did you use?
I'm pretty sure it was a boot leg copy of it since I just opened the .dmg file and dragged it into my Apps once it mounted; I was using Mac OS to run it. Graphics looked outstanding until the actual gameplay started. The loading screens were crystal clear and the menus were very crisp.

The file came from a friend so that is why I'm not too concered if it works or not. It'd be nice to have on here but I still have San Andreas from the app store that I haven't played in ages.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 02:38 AM   #21
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was a boot leg copy of it since I just opened the .dmg file and dragged it into my Apps once it mounted; I was using Mac OS to run it. Graphics looked outstanding until the actual gameplay started. The loading screens were crystal clear and the menus were very crisp.

The file came from a friend so that is why I'm not too concered if it works or not. It'd be nice to have on here but I still have San Andreas from the app store that I haven't played in ages.
Must have been a cider port.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:31 AM   #22
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Sorry about my last post about this game. How do i play this gta 4 on my mac WITHOUT USING PIRATED SOFTWARE SUCH AS TORRENTS?!
Like others said, either cider-wrap it or Wineskin it. However doing these means that you lose a lot of performance, if you can even get it working at all.

I know you don't want to BootCamp but it's the best option if you want to run it.

Windows applications don't work on Mac, simple as that. Cider & Wineskin aren't really a solution either, as it takes a lot of patience and time to get it working.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 09:49 AM   #23
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

GTA 4 looks like a dinosaur compared to GTA 5. I wish it could run native on the Mac.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:02 AM   #24
BornAgainPPC
macrumors newbie

The reason people say to get the download from the pirate bay is because people have made their own version for Mac because GTA IV was never released on Mac and that's the way they chose to share it. Just because it is on the pirate bay does not mean is a illegal file.
BornAgainPPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:05 AM   #25
imacken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainPPC View Post
The reason people say to get the download from the pirate bay is because people have made their own version for Mac because GTA IV was never released on Mac and that's the way they chose to share it. Just because it is on the pirate bay does not mean is a illegal file.
They 'made their own version for Mac'? With Rockstar's permission?
I don't think so.
Of course it's illegal!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games