Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kanex's DualRole is an Ethernet hub that comes equipped with three USB 3.0 ports, a useful accessory for newer MacBooks which require an adapter to connect to a wired network.

kanexdualrole.jpg

The DualRole is USB bus powered with an included 3-inch cable, but it also supports an additional 5V power adapter (not included) to provide extra power for intensive tasks like charging the iPad and the iPhone or powering hard drives.

While DualRole supports plug and play for its USB 3.0 ports, it does require drivers to access the Gigabit Ethernet port.

Kanex's DualRole is available immediately for $69 from the Kanex website.

Article Link: Macworld/iWorld 2013: Kanex DualRole Hub Features Gigabit Ethernet and Three USB 3.0 Ports

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
All I want is a powered USB3 Hub at a good price, is that too much to ask? 4-6 ports no need for Ethernet but having one with an SD reader would be a bonus given where Apple has hid it on the latest iMac.

Here in Australia they are hard to come by, USB2 still rules in retail. And when you do find one it's way too expensive, no wonder many turn to eBay.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Only 3 USB 3.0 ports? Since the hub will use one of the USB ports on the Mac, it is only adding 2 USB ports and gigabit ethernet (which requires awkward 3rd party driver and I am probably better off using Apple's $29 Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit adapter).

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Is it normal to require drivers to use ethernet on a device like this? Shouldn't this just be plug-n-play?

My concern with this device is driver support: how long / how many operating systems will be supported before the device needs to be replaced.

BTGeekboy

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Great now make that a Thunderbolt port and they will finally have something!

Why would you need it to be a Thunderbolt port? USB 3 is far cheaper to implement and faster than both Gigabit ethernet and all but the highest-end external RAID enclosures.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Why would you need it to be a Thunderbolt port? USB 3 is far cheaper to implement and faster than both Gigabit ethernet and all but the highest-end external RAID enclosures.

Because with a thunderbolt port you could operate all three of those USB3 ports and at full 5Gbit speeds and the gigabit ethernet port. You can't do 3x USB3 speeds on a USB3 port.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
This looks good, I agree a little expensive. I read that the MBP downclocks the port to USB2 standards if the first peripheral plugged in is USB2. Does this mean that if I have my amazing logitech mouse which is USB2, but plug it into a USB3 port, but the USB3 hub is the first device plugged into my computer that the whole mess is at 2 or 3 speeds? My usb hard drive is at around 90mb/s for usb3 but only about 45 at usb2.

My head hurts, and I am not willing to invest in this until I know ;)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The wording on this article is extremely confusing.

Kanex's DualRole is an Ethernet hub that comes equipped with three USB 3.0 ports

It's a 3 port USB 3.0 hub that's equipped with an Ethernet connection, not the other way around. By no means is this an Ethernet hub.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
It's not quite confusion as it is misleading. It's not an ethernet hub in any sense at all. It doesn't form the center of multiple ethernet connections in a standalone configuration (an argument could be made for a chain/tree of these connected to the USB ports).

So, exactly what yg17 said.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Wonder if this one actually works! Every USB 3.0 hub I've tried dies when you plug more than 1 device into it (even well known branded ones). Apples implementation of USB 3.0 seems to be very flaky.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It always cracks me up you have to use up a valuable port to add another one plus more wires and power supply.

You're turning one USB port into 3....what's the problem here?

----------

Wonder if this one actually works! Every USB 3.0 hub I've tried dies when you plug more than 1 device into it (even well known branded ones). Apples implementation of USB 3.0 seems to be very flaky.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006DEBNLW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I have that one and so far it's working well with my 15" Retina MBP. I have multiple devices plugged into it, but no USB 3.0 devices.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
It always cracks me up you have to use up a valuable port to add another one plus more wires and power supply.

With no FireWire I really think the new iMac should have had 6 USB3 ports. For me one will be used for the Wired KB, 2nd for an existing USB2 Hub and then one for my backup USB3 drive, leaving just one port free which I might plug in my iPhone lead. Four ports doesn't go very far.

Helloha

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2013
Or build a hackintosh...

I got 10usb ports 3 usb3 2 gigabit Ethernet, 4 esata. Need to stay more? Plus 10 internal hd's.

chipped

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
All I want is a powered USB3 Hub at a good price, is that too much to ask? 4-6 ports no need for Ethernet but having one with an SD reader would be a bonus given where Apple has hid it on the latest iMac.

Here in Australia they are hard to come by, USB2 still rules in retail. And when you do find one it's way too expensive, no wonder many turn to eBay.

I'm also from Australia, I saw a USB 3.0 hub + card reader at Woolworths the other day. I think it was $20

:)

Byron425

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Actually, you are turning 1 USB port into 2 USB ports and an ethernet port.

To connect the hub to the computer you use one of the 3 available ports before you even get to plug in a peripheral.

---

I don't need a hub like this... but for $69 they really should have put 4 USB ports on it. Use one to connect, so you still have 3 USB ports available.

I guess the other way to look at this is that you get two free USB ports for the price of a USB to ethernet adapter?

It turns out you actually are turning one USB port into 3 USB ports plus Ethernet. If you click through to the product website they have a picture of what it looks like.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....useful accessory for newer MacBooks which require an adapter to connect to a wired network.....

All newer MacBooks have at least one Thunderbolt port, so if that's all that's needed, the $29 TB>Ethernet adapter, is a much cheaper alternative.

Kanex's DualRole is an Ethernet hub that comes equipped with three USB 3.0 ports, a useful accessory for newer MacBooks which require an adapter to connect to a wired network. Image
The DualRole is USB bus powered with an included 3-inch cable, but it also supports an additional 5V power adapter (not included) to provide extra power for intensive tasks like charging the iPad and the iPhone or powering hard drives.
Kanex's DualRole is available immediately for $69 from the Kanex website.

Article Link: Macworld/iWorld 2013: Kanex DualRole Hub Features Gigabit Ethernet and Three USB 3.0 Ports

If it had been a TB hub with 2-3 TB ports and 3-4 USB3 ports, in addition to the Ethernet port, I would have been excited, especially at that price, and with the inclusion of that 5v power adapter, I was getting super-excited, then I woke up.....

Great now make that a Thunderbolt port and they will finally have something!

It wouldn't need to be, but as all new Macs sport at least one TB port, it would make more sense, as that one 'magical' little port could then, through a hub, be turned into multiple TB ports in addition to multiple USB3 ports and Ethernet as well as audio in-outs, whatever was needed.

It's something WhoDaKat was referring to, and many others also, no doubt, are looking forward to, at least at a reasonable pricepoint, unlike those pricey Matrox or Belkin 'docking stations'.

lee27

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Kanex have a 3.0 4 port Hub without ethernet. :)

Not cheap but it's the best looking 3.0 hub I've seen so far.

I bought this one for my 27" iMac(late 2012)

http://www.kanexlive.com/usb3hub4x

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    745 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm also from Australia, I saw a USB 3.0 hub + card reader at Woolworths the other day. I think it was $20

:)

I never thought of checking there, thanks for the heads up. I think DickSmith had some but not sure of the price and last I checked they were sold out.

Currently I have a nice Belkin USB2 7 port one. 5 on the back for HDDs and stuff you'd keep plugged in and 2 on the front. Ideal for thumb drives or a USB to SD card reader you might take in and out a lot.

Is it amazing how much Mac users care about design of their products, even a simple USB Hub?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Because with a thunderbolt port you could operate all three of those USB3 ports and at full 5Gbit speeds and the gigabit ethernet port. You can't do 3x USB3 speeds on a USB3 port.

No you couldn't, at least not concurrently. 16Gbps won't go into 10Gbps. Current TB only has twice the bandwidth of USB3 before any overheads are factored in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.