Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:35 PM   #26
AeroSatan
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to AeroSatan
Thanks Talmy

Logging out and back in to Icloud seemed to free up over 30GB. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
Sounds like either TimeMachine turned on (local backups) or you aren't emptying the Trash. Get Disk Inventory X and see what's using the space. You can examine via the folder hierarchy and your most used file types are color coded.

Example is attached.

EDITED-- looking back at the thread, I see you have already done this and determined that the big usage is in MobileSync. I believe that is where files synced by iCloud are stored locally. It seems inconceivable it would be that big. If you log out of iCloud I would think all those files would be automatically deleted. Time Machine local backups are stored in /.MobileBackups which is normally hidden from viewing.
AeroSatan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:39 PM   #27
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco7777 View Post
could you use clean my mac? maybe it will work
I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.
Five Mac maintenance myths
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:23 PM   #28
eco7777
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.
Five Mac maintenance myths
good to know but it has worked for me flawless for 2 years
eco7777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro