Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:31 PM   #26
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegasol View Post
That's why you tether it from your Android phone. I even use it as a phone with Skype or talkatone. Again, I can do anything with the iPod Touch I could with my iphone and I don't have to pay a carrier's fee
how do you fail to see the clear logic we are providing you?
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:36 PM   #27
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
That's why you tether it from your Android phone. I even use it as a phone with Skype or talkatone. Again, I can do anything with the iPod Touch I could with my iphone and I don't have to pay a carrier's fee
Now you are just forcing round about ways to do something that could be done with less steps with a different device.
strausd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:04 PM   #28
Niko91
macrumors member

I think that, probably, I'll stay with my iPhone.

Btw, I've ordered a Nexus 4 for my girlfriend.
I'll play with it and then.. well, we'll see!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:08 PM   #29
onthecouchagain
Banned

Follow your heart.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:14 PM   #30
daveathall
macrumors 68000

There is no wrong decision here, a Nexus 4 or an iPhone 4S, well, IMHO one would be hard pressed getting much better than either of those phones, I've had em both and think they are brilliant.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:19 PM   #31
Mxbzz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttamus View Post
I feel like a lot of that changed with Mountain Lion....it added so many features that do sync between your phone and mac, and you will lose a lot of them not having an iphone. Some examples are imessaging, notfications, reminders, airplay
It really depends if you are utilizing those features. For me, I disabled iMessage from my iMac and iPad as I didn't want to use them as texting devices.
I do enjoy the notes syncing through icloud, but what do you mean by notifications? I've never had any notifications show on my iMac(running ML) that came from my iPhone.
Mxbzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:37 PM   #32
mikegasol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strausd View Post
Now you are just forcing round about ways to do something that could be done with less steps with a different device.
I was forcing round about ways to do simple things with iOS too. Android is much easier to do simple tasks for me. I love having both platforms
mikegasol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:55 PM   #33
map1978
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I was forcing round about ways to do simple things with iOS too. Android is much easier to do simple tasks for me. I love having both platforms
You make valid points about having a Android phone and getting a iPod Touch. But like you just wrote, it works "for you". People have different opinions of course.

For me, I'm not one to carry 2 devices everywhere when 1 can do it all.

$400 for a top notch Android (GS3, N4, HTC One X, etc)
$350 for a iPod Touch

That's a lot of coin for the everyday customer

With those 2 device prices, you can get an iP5 off contract and unlocked

Again, there is no wrong pick here..Jelly Bean and iOS are both quality platforms.

Now W8 phones are a different story YUCK!
map1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:17 PM   #34
mikegasol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
You make valid points about having a Android phone and getting a iPod Touch. But like you just wrote, it works "for you". People have different opinions of course.

For me, I'm not one to carry 2 devices everywhere when 1 can do it all.

$400 for a top notch Android (GS3, N4, HTC One X, etc)
$350 for a iPod Touch

That's a lot of coin for the everyday customer

With those 2 device prices, you can get an iP5 off contract and unlocked

Again, there is no wrong pick here..Jelly Bean and iOS are both quality platforms.

Good points but where are you shopping? Haha. $400 for a top Android phone and $350 for an ipod touch? I got my Note2 for $199 and my ipod touch for $249
mikegasol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:18 PM   #35
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Good points but where are you shopping? Haha. $400 for a top Android phone and $350 for an ipod touch? I got my Note2 for $199 and my ipod touch for $249
Those are unlocked prices.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:32 PM   #36
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Of you have ATT and have spare line (ghost line). Just use iPhone 4S on one line. Put Nexus 4 on other line. U don't even need a data plan for the nexus 4 on att since its not reconciled as a smartphone.

And if you want data. Just add the $10 unlimited data for non smartphones. So carry both iPhone 4S and nexus 4.

There problem solved for very little extra money. ($20 max a month)
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:26 PM   #37
map1978
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Well $199 is your 2yr contract price...most top Android devices cost $400+
Also, the new iPod Touch starts at $299 so starting $350 with tax

I remember the Blackberry/iPod Touch combo days...damn I hated that

Hey if you like it, its all good though

OP, try an Android device before you sell your 4S. Go to your local Staples and buy a $200 Nexus 7 and see if you like Jelly Bean OS. Than at least you got 14 days to return it without any restocking fee.

Just a thought
map1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:38 PM   #38
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxbzz View Post
It really depends if you are utilizing those features. For me, I disabled iMessage from my iMac and iPad as I didn't want to use them as texting devices.
I do enjoy the notes syncing through icloud, but what do you mean by notifications? I've never had any notifications show on my iMac(running ML) that came from my iPhone.
if you set a reminder on your phone it shows on your mac...same with calender events. It is almost the exact same as the pull down notification menu on an iphone. Use two fingers off the the right of your trackpad and drag them over
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:15 AM   #39
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

It's just an excuse to fight boredom. I'm equally bored with the iPhone 4, but still does everything perfectly since it's jailbroken, why would I switch?
Grolubao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:55 AM   #40
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
Why yuck? I've never used one as my daily driver, but they feel incredibly fast and fluid, plus the WP8 home screen looks great. Live tiles are a great concept, I wish WP was on equal footing with iOS in terms of developer support, then I'd own one.
ReanimationN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:54 PM   #41
michaeljohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
Why yuck? I've never used one as my daily driver, but they feel incredibly fast and fluid, plus the WP8 home screen looks great. Live tiles are a great concept, I wish WP was on equal footing with iOS in terms of developer support, then I'd own one.
The homescreen is God awful unless you like mess and clutter. most people prefer simple and clean homescreens on a phone, not every inch of space cluttered with boxes and squares.
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:09 AM   #42
outz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
There is no wrong decision here, a Nexus 4 or an iPhone 4S, well, IMHO one would be hard pressed getting much better than either of those phones, I've had em both and think they are brilliant.
^^

definitely both great devices. I love my n4, but it doesn't mean I hate a my previous iphones... I just outgrew them.
outz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:49 PM   #43
Cursayer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Not based on my side by side evaluations. I get very good battery life and pictures from both my iPhone & Nexus 4.

My Nexus 4 integrates perfectly with my full on Apple ecosystem. Including my Mac Pro Server, which all my Macs and Windows computers interface with. Apple's Calendar, Contacts, Notes, you name it, all sync just fine.

Using both iOS and Android concurrently is fun and interesting. I like variety, choices, and to stay current with the latest in mobile technologies. Running both platforms is a great way to accomplish that.
Did you like iPhone or Nexus 4 better?
Cursayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:36 PM   #44
tuukka87
macrumors member

I figured I would chime in on this one. I was a happy iphone 4 user and own almost everything apple, Until the announcement of the nexus 4. Much like the OP, I felt like the nexus was a fresh new world, and that my iphone was getting very stale. Fast forward to today, and I just sold my nexus 4 and bought a iphone 4s. Now let me just state that the nexus 4 was a great phone. Top of the line for android. But I dont know what it is about the iphone that pulled me back in. I just feel comfortable and at home with IOS. Just my two cents, but I've been to the other side, and while enticing, I ended up coming back home.
tuukka87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices