Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:48 PM   #1
kulimer
Banned

How much does coding and writing loops damage your computer?

I am writing C and java code. My MBA needs to run 700,000,000 for loops, each time I click compile.

The fan is blowing out warm air and you feel heated on top of F1 and F2 keys.

How badly does this damage your laptop? Does it shorten the lifespan of your MBA?

I have the mid-2011 model 13-inch.
kulimer is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:52 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulimer View Post
I am writing C and java code. My MBA needs to run 700,000,000 for loops, each time I click compile.

The fan is blowing out warm air and you feel heated on top of F1 and F2 keys.

How badly does this damage your laptop? Does it shorten the lifespan of your MBA?

I have the mid-2011 model 13-inch.
Your Mac is designed to be used. It will not be damaged simply by running resource-intensive apps. If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
(PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:
GGJstudios is offline   3
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:01 PM   #3
kulimer
Banned

iStat pro appears as a widget in dashboard?

According to iStat
Fan speed: 6123rpm.
CUP temp: 76 degrees.

My MBA is running high, maybe you thought I am kidding.

Last edited by kulimer; Feb 1, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
kulimer is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:05 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
iStat pro appears as a widget in dashboard? That thing is so hard to read. It's not an actual software?

According to iStat
fan 5903rpm.
CUP 75 degrees.
It is software, it is a widget though, not an application you have to execute via double clicking.

And the temperatures you report are normal for high CPU usage.

Just out of curiosity, what does this mean?
Quote:
My MBA needs to run 700,000,000 for loops
simsaladimbamba is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:17 PM   #5
kulimer
Banned

It means I wrote a code that needs to run 700,000,000 loops to complete the programming.

That widget thing is so hard to read.
kulimer is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:18 PM   #6
simsaladimbamba

Quote:

That widget thing is so hard to read.
What resolution is your MBA set to? And can you make a screenshot of your Dashboard via CMD+SHIFT+3 and attach it to your next post? Normally that widget is small, but not that hard to read.

As alternative you could use SMCFanControl, which resides in the Menu Bar.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:18 PM   #7
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

You will not "use up" your computer by using it.
TheRealDamager is offline   3
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:22 PM   #8
kulimer
Banned

When I say "hard to read", I don't mean it's impossible. But those fonts really needs to get large by default.

Also, it's a great software, it needs to stay out of dashboard. This software is not a misc., it's a necessity.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDamager View Post
You will not "use up" your computer by using it.
I don't know what's your definition of "use up", but I agree.
kulimer is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
It means I wrote a code that needs to run 700,000,000 loops to complete the programming.

So you haven't executed the code yet, you are just compiling (translate text to binary) and creating an executable that the cpu can understand.

This question is like asking if you can hurt the car by running it hard. I suppose in older cars you can reeve it up beyond its design to damage it, but newer cars won't let you do that, it has a safeguard. Computers have built-in safeguards since day#1.

So are you building Stuxnet II?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:24 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Also, it's a great software, it needs to stay out of dashboard. This software is not a misc., it's a necessity.
I find it extremely useful in the Dashboard. It stays out of the way until I move my mouse to a hot corner, then it appears. Another move and it's gone. Its location doesn't have anything to do with its importance.
GGJstudios is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:26 PM   #11
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
When I say "hard to read", I don't mean it's impossible. But those fonts really needs to get large by default.

You could zoom in via CTRL+ScrollWheel/TwoFingerScrolling or use that SMCFanControl I mentioned. There are also other temperature monitoring apps out there, which you could use, but then again, it might distract you, and if your Mac would overheat, it would just shut down.

I use iStat Menus for my monitoring needs, and strangely my CPU is around 68° C right now, but also gets up to 95° C when doing more CPU intensive stuff like watching 69 tabs of cats.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:27 PM   #12
kulimer
Banned

^ CTRL+ScrollWheel/TwoFingerScrolling did not work for me in dashboard.
kulimer is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:38 PM   #13
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
That's strange! What version of OS X are you running? And are you sure you were using the Control button and not Command?
GGJstudios is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:38 PM   #14
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Strange, it does work for me. It is the universal zoom tool to zoom into the overall screen regardless of what is beneath it, though I have not tested it with games yet.

It might be disabled in System Preferences > Universal Access > Seeing > Zoom > Options > Use scroll wheel with modifier keys to zoom.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:50 PM   #15
kulimer
Banned

^ it works now, you are right. But when in firefox, you lose the option to enlarge fonts, rather you are magnifying the window.

So, I changed back.
kulimer is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:58 PM   #16
GoPro
macrumors member

my cpu often climbs to 95 degrees C when doing something graphically intensive.

Does anybody know if putting the computer to sleep immediately (while fans are still loud) can cause any damage? I did this once.
GoPro is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:04 PM   #17
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPro View Post
Does anybody know if putting the computer to sleep immediately (while fans are still loud) can cause any damage? I did this once.

Immediate damage no. But some un-quantifiable premature failure, shorten life-span, *maybe* depends how OCD you are.

The same thinking some Volvo cars of the past let their cooling fan on for a time after you turn off the car (kind weird). But that practice is been stopped, not adopted by other car makers. Don't know why.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:15 PM   #18
GoPro
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Immediate damage no. But some un-quantifiable premature failure, shorten life-span, *maybe* depends how OCD you are.

The same thinking some Volvo cars of the past let their cooling fan on for a time after you turn off the car (kind weird). But that practice is been stopped, not adopted by other car makers. Don't know why.
Actually you get that on a lot of cars nowadays (if it's really hot)
GoPro is offline   1
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:26 PM   #19
leman
macrumors 601

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense to me at all and I have been programming since I was 5 years old. Are you compiling a program that runs 700000000 loop iterations (why?), or are you compiling your program 700000000 times (why??!!) or do you have some fancy compiler which likes to run 700000000 loop iterations before actually starting to do its job (that at least sounds like fun)?

And anyway, you computer runs the code like ALL THE TIME. Asking whether it will damage it is like whether you will damage your shoes by wearing them (the answer is yes, by the way).
leman is offline   1
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:05 PM   #20
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
That doesn't make any sense to me at all and I have been programming since I was 5 years old. Are you compiling a program that runs 700000000 loop iterations (why?), or are you compiling your program 700000000 times (why??!!) or do you have some fancy compiler which likes to run 700000000 loop iterations before actually starting to do its job (that at least sounds like fun)?

And anyway, you computer runs the code like ALL THE TIME. Asking whether it will damage it is like whether you will damage your shoes by wearing them (the answer is yes, by the way).
I write code that utilizes a ton of loops at times in manipulating research data. How is it hard to imagine?

Running your computer does not damage it. CPUs and what not are designed to last beyond that of the expected usage of the computer.
dukebound85 is online now   1
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:28 PM   #21
kulimer
Banned

When your child is having a fever, you naturally worry.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPro View Post
go to the football field or somewhere with open air with lots of oxygen when its doing something so physically intensive.

it's been really cold in my area, I've been running the loops outdoor.

Last edited by kulimer; Feb 1, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
kulimer is offline   2
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:03 PM   #22
checkitout
macrumors member

???

My car needs to run 700,000,000 micrometers each time I go to work.
No, it's not going to be damaged by that (except from underuse, because that is a distance that is best walked).

You are aware that your computer runs at in excess of 4 billion instructions per second? You won't even hear the fans going from 700,000,000 loops.
checkitout is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:05 PM   #23
jon3543
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkitout View Post
You won't even hear the fans going from 700,000,000 loops.
In a row? ("Clerks" call-out.)
jon3543 is offline   2
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:47 PM   #24
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
That is “nothing”.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:57 PM   #25
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

OP, if you are still finding iStat Pro hard to read, you could download SMC Fan Control here. It doesn't give as detailed data, but it still gives you the CPU temp, and it's displayed in the menu bar rather than the dashboard
mrsir2009 is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland