Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:38 PM   #1
siiip5
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Thumbs up Carbon App - back up your phone, no root required

So, the same guy that made CWM, brought this out and allows you to back up your Android phone on your internal or extSDcard without the need for rooting your phone. Available in the Play Store in both free and pro variants. The free version will get you full backup/restore to/from SD card and PC (requires your phone's drivers), for both rooted and non-rooted users. For an additional fee of $5, the app also offers an ad-free experience, automatic backups, and – most importantly – cloud backups. With the latter option enabled, Carbon can automatically send your backups to your Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive account. You'll never lose anything again.

Link to Play Store app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup

siiip5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Considering it, but not sure I need it. Good for people that flash ROMs like crazy though.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:46 PM   #3
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
I'm curious as to how this is app is different from DataSync other than that root access is required.

Last edited by 3bs; Jan 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
I'm curious as to how this is app is different from DataSync
Root is required for DataSync - looks like Carbon doesn't require root access.

This would be awesome for someone like me - coming from the always backed-up world of the iPhone + iCloud, auto cloud backups was one of the things that bothered me about Android.

I'll look to install this app when I get my Nexus 4!
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | Fire Phone |iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX | 21.5" iMac (Early 2012) | 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2013)
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:01 PM   #5
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
Excellent. Thank you very much. I have no interest due to my lack of confidence in rooting/ flashing etc so this is ideal for me.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:05 PM   #6
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Thanks for the link! Looks like I'll be $5 poorer soon.

I had to do a restore on my N4, and was missing one of Apples ease of use features at that point -- glad phone was new, and pretty much empty.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
While it is nice that there is a free version it really isn't usable much without paying. I'd rather there be a trial period. Allowing backing up to Box but not restoring is kinda lame. Oh wait a minute... maybe it is not: if you never need to restore you don't need to pay.

Another thing that I don't understand is app groups. Is that referring to folders? If so why only one app group name?



Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:45 AM   #8
elannasdad
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Anyone having trouble with the Carbon Mac app ? I'm on 10.6.8 and it crashes before it even opens....
elannasdad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:20 AM   #9
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
+1. Good find.

Strangely, I am not compelled to use it, though. Android is so stable, I have little fear or concern of it crashing and having to do a restore. I can't even remember the last time I had to reboot my phone.

Still, sounds like a great app, and should finally help those that do want to backup without root. The list of iOS advantages grows ever smaller...
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:40 AM   #10
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000
 
LSUtigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
If anyone buys it let me know how the restore feature works. I use Titanium Backup right now but I'd love to find an app that can restore app data without the need for root.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:05 AM   #11
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a
 
ReanimationN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
+1. Good find.

Strangely, I am not compelled to use it, though. Android is so stable, I have little fear or concern of it crashing and having to do a restore. I can't even remember the last time I had to reboot my phone.

Still, sounds like a great app, and should finally help those that do want to backup without root. The list of iOS advantages grows ever smaller...
It's not really about stability- a lot of people lose or break their phones (or have warranty issues, requiring a replacement), having a backup on hand saves a lot of headaches when replacing it.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB HD, Windows 8 x64. iPad Air 64GB. 2013 Google Nexus 7 32GB. iPhone 5 32GB.
ReanimationN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
I am not sure what is so great about this app. I guess it is nice to be able to back up apps and restore their settings. But it was taking forever to backup full apps to Box (on wifi) so I finally killed it and only did app settings. I suppose that could be useful but I still don't know what app groups are. I really was hoping for something like a nandroid backup that just restores things exactly as they were at the time the backup was made.

As far as using it via USB I was not going to install a pc or mac counterpart. You can already backup to a PC or Mac without rooting using adb which of course is free.

Be nice if someone were to create a script or wrapper for the adb method so it is easy for the those not technically inclined. Maybe I'll do it if I get a chance.




Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:39 PM   #13
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
I am not sure what is so great about this app. I guess it is nice to be able to back up apps and restore their settings. But it was taking forever to backup full apps to Box (on wifi) so I finally killed it and only did app settings. I suppose that could be useful but I still don't know what app groups are. I really was hoping for something like a nandroid backup that just restores things exactly as they were at the time the backup was made.

As far as using it via USB I was not going to install a pc or mac counterpart. You can already backup to a PC or Mac without rooting using adb which of course is free.

Be nice if someone were to create a script or wrapper for the adb method so it is easy for the those not technically inclined. Maybe I'll do it if I get a chance.



Michael

I haven't checked yet - Does adb (I assume that's Android File Transfer?) do smart incremental backups? I assume the script you're talking about is a way to automate that -- Being adle to do that painlessly is what I'm looking for.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:45 PM   #14
siiip5
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
I am not sure what is so great about this app. I guess it is nice to be able to back up apps and restore their settings. But it was taking forever to backup full apps to Box (on wifi) so I finally killed it and only did app settings. I suppose that could be useful but I still don't know what app groups are. I really was hoping for something like a nandroid backup that just restores things exactly as they were at the time the backup was made.

As far as using it via USB I was not going to install a pc or mac counterpart. You can already backup to a PC or Mac without rooting using adb which of course is free.

Be nice if someone were to create a script or wrapper for the adb method so it is easy for the those not technically inclined. Maybe I'll do it if I get a chance.

Michael
The only thing that makes this app great, is that it doesn't require root and is aimed at people that either don't want to, or don't know how to root.

Anyone that wants to use full featured programs for backing up data, including root files, will use CWM or TB. I will never use carbon, because I root my devices the second I get them. But at least now, I can direct people that don't root to an app that they can use. I couldn't say that a couple weeks ago.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I haven't checked yet - Does adb (I assume that's Android File Transfer?) do smart incremental backups? I assume the script you're talking about is a way to automate that -- Being adle to do that painlessly is what I'm looking for.
ADB allows for commands to be initiated via a terminal interface. Think DOS on Windows in the 80's.
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:47 PM   #15
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
The only thing that makes this app great, is that it doesn't require root and is aimed at people that either don't want to, or don't know how to root.

Anyone that wants to use full featured programs for backing up data, including root files, will use CWM or TB. I will never use carbon, because I root my devices the second I get them. But at least now, I can direct people that don't root to an app that they can use. I couldn't say that a couple weeks ago.
Do you happen to know if there are any auto settings as far as when the backups take place?

For instance, can I set it to backup at a certain time everyday or when charging/screen is off?

EDIT: I re-read the post and saw the auto backup listed - just wondered how robust the options are.
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | Fire Phone |iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX | 21.5" iMac (Early 2012) | 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2013)
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:06 PM   #16
siiip5
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Do you happen to know if there are any auto settings as far as when the backups take place?

For instance, can I set it to backup at a certain time everyday or when charging/screen is off?

EDIT: I re-read the post and saw the auto backup listed - just wondered how robust the options are.
Don't know? I am rooted and use CWM and TB. I have Titanium Backup Auto backup only new apps or updates once a week to my Google Drive. I use CWM to backup my current ROM before I flash a new one. I have backups on my home PC as well.

As I said, I will probably never utilize this app, because I don't need it. I will just direct my unrooted brothers that way.
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:28 PM   #17
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
Don't know? I am rooted and use CWM and TB. I have Titanium Backup Auto backup only new apps or updates once a week to my Google Drive. I use CWM to backup my current ROM before I flash a new one. I have backups on my home PC as well.

As I said, I will probably never utilize this app, because I don't need it. I will just direct my unrooted brothers that way.
Gotcha, no problem!
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | Fire Phone |iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX | 21.5" iMac (Early 2012) | 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2013)
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:03 PM   #18
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
+1. Good find.

Strangely, I am not compelled to use it, though. Android is so stable, I have little fear or concern of it crashing and having to do a restore. I can't even remember the last time I had to reboot my phone.

Still, sounds like a great app, and should finally help those that do want to backup without root. The list of iOS advantages grows ever smaller...
Your only consideration should be how catastrophic it would be if you lost all your data, not whether or not you're actually going to.

Hardly anybody backs up because they think they're actually going to lose data, more just in case.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:58 PM   #19
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I guess I don't have that many things that are that valuable on my phone that I can't retrieve elsewhere (Gmail, for example)...

Anyway, I'm not knocking this app/feature or the idea of backing things up. Rock on.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:19 PM   #20
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
I have managed to do 1 backup on my MBP with this, I have the desktop controller for Mac installed on my MBP and this says "Carbon has been enabled on your Android" but it never connects. Not to good IMHO.

daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Does anyone know where I can buy a carbon skin back for r mini? FatPuppy iPad 4 Feb 8, 2014 08:30 AM
Remote Carbon Copy help required Donfor39 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Dec 15, 2013 06:58 AM
Why did you root or jailbreak your phone? dalbir4444 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 26 Nov 21, 2012 06:14 PM
Carbon fiber back! Jeffy499 iPhone Accessories 35 Oct 26, 2012 11:09 AM
root password required for installation bad apps? kot OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 8 Sep 27, 2012 02:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC