Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:38 PM   #1
siiip5
Banned

Thumbs up Carbon App - back up your phone, no root required

So, the same guy that made CWM, brought this out and allows you to back up your Android phone on your internal or extSDcard without the need for rooting your phone. Available in the Play Store in both free and pro variants. The free version will get you full backup/restore to/from SD card and PC (requires your phone's drivers), for both rooted and non-rooted users. For an additional fee of $5, the app also offers an ad-free experience, automatic backups, and – most importantly – cloud backups. With the latter option enabled, Carbon can automatically send your backups to your Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive account. You'll never lose anything again.

Link to Play Store app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup

siiip5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Considering it, but not sure I need it. Good for people that flash ROMs like crazy though.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:46 PM   #3
3bs
macrumors 603

I'm curious as to how this is app is different from DataSync other than that root access is required.

Last edited by 3bs; Jan 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
I'm curious as to how this is app is different from DataSync
Root is required for DataSync - looks like Carbon doesn't require root access.

This would be awesome for someone like me - coming from the always backed-up world of the iPhone + iCloud, auto cloud backups was one of the things that bothered me about Android.

I'll look to install this app when I get my Nexus 4!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:01 PM   #5
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Excellent. Thank you very much. I have no interest due to my lack of confidence in rooting/ flashing etc so this is ideal for me.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:05 PM   #6
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link! Looks like I'll be $5 poorer soon.

I had to do a restore on my N4, and was missing one of Apples ease of use features at that point -- glad phone was new, and pretty much empty.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

While it is nice that there is a free version it really isn't usable much without paying. I'd rather there be a trial period. Allowing backing up to Box but not restoring is kinda lame. Oh wait a minute... maybe it is not: if you never need to restore you don't need to pay.

Another thing that I don't understand is app groups. Is that referring to folders? If so why only one app group name?

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:45 AM   #8
elannasdad
macrumors newbie

Anyone having trouble with the Carbon Mac app ? I'm on 10.6.8 and it crashes before it even opens....
elannasdad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:20 AM   #9
onthecouchagain
Banned

+1. Good find.

Strangely, I am not compelled to use it, though. Android is so stable, I have little fear or concern of it crashing and having to do a restore. I can't even remember the last time I had to reboot my phone.

Still, sounds like a great app, and should finally help those that do want to backup without root. The list of iOS advantages grows ever smaller...
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:40 AM   #10
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

If anyone buys it let me know how the restore feature works. I use Titanium Backup right now but I'd love to find an app that can restore app data without the need for root.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:05 AM   #11
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
+1. Good find.

Strangely, I am not compelled to use it, though. Android is so stable, I have little fear or concern of it crashing and having to do a restore. I can't even remember the last time I had to reboot my phone.

Still, sounds like a great app, and should finally help those that do want to backup without root. The list of iOS advantages grows ever smaller...
It's not really about stability- a lot of people lose or break their phones (or have warranty issues, requiring a replacement), having a backup on hand saves a lot of headaches when replacing it.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

I am not sure what is so great about this app. I guess it is nice to be able to back up apps and restore their settings. But it was taking forever to backup full apps to Box (on wifi) so I finally killed it and only did app settings. I suppose that could be useful but I still don't know what app groups are. I really was hoping for something like a nandroid backup that just restores things exactly as they were at the time the backup was made.

As far as using it via USB I was not going to install a pc or mac counterpart. You can already backup to a PC or Mac without rooting using adb which of course is free.

Be nice if someone were to create a script or wrapper for the adb method so it is easy for the those not technically inclined. Maybe I'll do it if I get a chance.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:39 PM   #13
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
I am not sure what is so great about this app. I guess it is nice to be able to back up apps and restore their settings. But it was taking forever to backup full apps to Box (on wifi) so I finally killed it and only did app settings. I suppose that could be useful but I still don't know what app groups are. I really was hoping for something like a nandroid backup that just restores things exactly as they were at the time the backup was made.

As far as using it via USB I was not going to install a pc or mac counterpart. You can already backup to a PC or Mac without rooting using adb which of course is free.

Be nice if someone were to create a script or wrapper for the adb method so it is easy for the those not technically inclined. Maybe I'll do it if I get a chance.

Michael

I haven't checked yet - Does adb (I assume that's Android File Transfer?) do smart incremental backups? I assume the script you're talking about is a way to automate that -- Being adle to do that painlessly is what I'm looking for.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:45 PM   #14
siiip5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post

Michael
The only thing that makes this app great, is that it doesn't require root and is aimed at people that either don't want to, or don't know how to root.

Anyone that wants to use full featured programs for backing up data, including root files, will use CWM or TB. I will never use carbon, because I root my devices the second I get them. But at least now, I can direct people that don't root to an app that they can use. I couldn't say that a couple weeks ago.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I haven't checked yet - Does adb (I assume that's Android File Transfer?) do smart incremental backups? I assume the script you're talking about is a way to automate that -- Being adle to do that painlessly is what I'm looking for.
ADB allows for commands to be initiated via a terminal interface. Think DOS on Windows in the 80's.
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:47 PM   #15
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
The only thing that makes this app great, is that it doesn't require root and is aimed at people that either don't want to, or don't know how to root.

Anyone that wants to use full featured programs for backing up data, including root files, will use CWM or TB. I will never use carbon, because I root my devices the second I get them. But at least now, I can direct people that don't root to an app that they can use. I couldn't say that a couple weeks ago.
Do you happen to know if there are any auto settings as far as when the backups take place?

For instance, can I set it to backup at a certain time everyday or when charging/screen is off?

EDIT: I re-read the post and saw the auto backup listed - just wondered how robust the options are.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:06 PM   #16
siiip5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Do you happen to know if there are any auto settings as far as when the backups take place?

For instance, can I set it to backup at a certain time everyday or when charging/screen is off?

EDIT: I re-read the post and saw the auto backup listed - just wondered how robust the options are.
Don't know? I am rooted and use CWM and TB. I have Titanium Backup Auto backup only new apps or updates once a week to my Google Drive. I use CWM to backup my current ROM before I flash a new one. I have backups on my home PC as well.

As I said, I will probably never utilize this app, because I don't need it. I will just direct my unrooted brothers that way.
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:28 PM   #17
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
Don't know? I am rooted and use CWM and TB. I have Titanium Backup Auto backup only new apps or updates once a week to my Google Drive. I use CWM to backup my current ROM before I flash a new one. I have backups on my home PC as well.

As I said, I will probably never utilize this app, because I don't need it. I will just direct my unrooted brothers that way.
Gotcha, no problem!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:03 PM   #18
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
+1. Good find.

Your only consideration should be how catastrophic it would be if you lost all your data, not whether or not you're actually going to.

Hardly anybody backs up because they think they're actually going to lose data, more just in case.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:58 PM   #19
onthecouchagain
Banned

I guess I don't have that many things that are that valuable on my phone that I can't retrieve elsewhere (Gmail, for example)...

Anyway, I'm not knocking this app/feature or the idea of backing things up. Rock on.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:19 PM   #20
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I have managed to do 1 backup on my MBP with this, I have the desktop controller for Mac installed on my MBP and this says "Carbon has been enabled on your Android" but it never connects. Not to good IMHO.

daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices