Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Apple sells 6 phones. Samsung sells god knows how many, probably hundreds? This latest news is comparing all phones, not just smartphones, so it's a pretty convincing victory when Apple is selling more phones than every other manufacturer in the US and they don't even sell any feature phones.

During the 2012 year, which is what the original link is reporting on, Apple sold 4 phones. The iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, and iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 3GS, however, stopped being sold when the iPhone 5 was released.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
No how are they going to put sale Samsung over the 2013 year. They has one good quarter, but that does not mean they are back on top.

I don't think they'll lead for the entire year. Assuming Apple sticks to its once a year schedule and Samsung sticks to its once a year schedule for Galaxy S and Note devices, then Samsung will most likely have the Galaxy S4 and Note 3 before Apple has the iPhone 5S/6. Samsung will take over again at some point for sure.

----------

You do realize iphone 5 sales are not as good as they were projected to be right?

...but still more than any previous iPhone. That's still growth.

----------

During the 2012 year, which is what the original link is reporting on, Apple sold 4 phones. The iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, and iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 3GS, however, stopped being sold when the iPhone 5 was released.

True! My bad.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012

So what is your point?

----------

[/COLOR]
...but still more than any previous iPhone. That's still growth.[

So you are telling me it has already out sold the iPhone 4S?

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Ok I am done with you. You keep ignore and only saying what you want to say. I think Apple has done better in the past they need to get back there.

No. Apple has never done better in the past. You quite literally choose the PEAK of their iPhone performance to make this statement :p

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
No. Apple has never done better in the past. You quite literally choose the PEAK of their iPhone performance to make this statement :p

So Apple at its best is behind Samsung? And we will use your number here with 4 phones selling. So let me reword my question. What does Apple need to do for them to take over Samsung in market share for sales?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
The point was for matttye.

It has sold more than the iPhone 4S has this long after it was released.

He said it sold more than the previous iphone which I took at out selling, but which what I was saying it could still be the case. The iphone 5 sales are slowing, so who knows how it will sell. Maybe Apple will need iOS 7 to be much different to start boosting sales again. Who knows.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
So Apple at its best is behind Samsung? And we will use your number here with 4 phones selling. So let me reword my question. What does Apple need to do for them to take over Samsung in market share for sales?

You are comparing two different markets. The smartphone market and the dumbphone market. The iPhone has outsold all Samsung smartphones combined. In the smartphone market, the iPhone is undisputedly on top, with last quarter representing the peak of all iPhone sales ever.

In all measurable ways, from profit, to sales, to ecosystem...etc, the iPhone is on top.

The article you posted is notable, because it combines the two markets, and finds the iPhone is still on top. it is the first time a smartphone has outsold all dumbphones from the largest dumbphone maker. It is not expected for a $650 smartphone to outsell dumbphones that go as low as $9.99 (unsubsidized).

This is like asking what does Ferrari need to do to outsell Toyota (but waiting until they actually are outselling Toyota to ask the question)

:p

----------

He said it sold more than the previous iphone which I took at out selling, but which what I was saying it could still be the case. The iphone 5 sales are slowing, so who knows how it will sell. Maybe Apple will need iOS 7 to be much different to start boosting sales again. Who knows.

The entire premise of this thread is about:

"what Apple has to do with the next iPhone to get back to the top?"

This premise is invalid. Even if iPhone 5 sales were slowing (and you have shown no source to collaborate this claim), the premise would still be invalid.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The point I was trying to make is iphone was leading no matter what. They are not anymore. My question is what do they need to do to get back to the top with just the iphone.
When the guy that runs Apple says "The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world. We aren't interested in revenue for revenue's sake.", it doesn't sound like he cares if iPhone is the top in sales and/or marketshare.

The slow rate at which Apple adds major features to iOS/iPhone makes me believe he's serious about what he says. :eek:

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
You are comparing two different markets. The smartphone market and the dumbphone market. The iPhone has outsold all Samsung smartphones combined. In the smartphone market, the iPhone is undisputedly on top, with last quarter representing the peak of all iPhone sales ever.

In all measurable ways, from profit, to sales, to ecosystem...etc, the iPhone is on top.

The article you posted is notable, because it combines the two markets, and finds the iPhone is still on top. it is the first time a smartphone has outsold all dumbphones from the largest dumbphone maker. It is not expected for a $650 smartphone to outsell dumbphones that go as low as $9.99 (unsubsidized).

This is like asking what does Ferrari need to do to outsell Toyota (but waiting until they actually are outselling Toyota to ask the question)

:p

----------

The entire premise of this thread is about:

"what Apple has to do with the next iPhone to get back to the top?"

This premise is invalid. Even if iPhone 5 sales were slowing (and you have shown no source to collaborate this claim), the premise would still be invalid.

Ok well great.

I really just wanted to talk about what Apple could do to boost themselves this year cause me and other poster think it is time for a change.

----------

When the guy that runs Apple says "The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world. We aren't interested in revenue for revenue's sake.", it doesn't sound like he cares if iPhone is the top in sales and/or marketshare.

The slow rate at which Apple adds major features to iOS/iPhone makes me believe he's serious about what he says. :eek:

Do you think that is a good thing or bad?

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Ok well great.

I really just wanted to talk about what Apple could do to boost themselves this year cause me and other poster think it is time for a change.

Sure. If you think they could be doing better, and want to discuss ways in which they can boost sales in 2013, that's your opinion and there's nothing wrong with that :p

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/01/strategy-analytics-apple-tops-us-phone-market-for-q4-2012/

So I saw this article on Engadget today, and was kind of curious as to what Apple has to do with the next iPhone to get back to the top? I think the iPhone 5 sales are starting to tapper off a little, so what will it take to bring them back? I think Samsung will release the galaxy s4 this year, and seeing how well the s3 has done I have a feeling the s4 well fare pretty well. I am not a big fan of Samsung, so I would like to see Apple or another company take it.

Do you guys think Apple needs the iPhone 5s (or whatever the new one will be called) to be amazing or is is about iOS? I have heard it said and I say it sometimes myself that iOS is a bit stale, so would it boost Apple back to the top with a major iOS UI overhaul? I don't think the next iPhone will be a major upgrade, so if the iPhone 5 sales have already started to slow I am not sure a updated 5s would do the trick. Now of course the time right after the release of a new iPhone will boost sales, but will that be enough?

I think Apple will release a lackluster iPhone 5S the most important release will be the iPhone 6. Mobile phones are evolving too quickly and if Apple doesn't respond they risk being disrupted by a competitor.

My vision for the 2014 iPhone 6:

Aluminium unibody that does away with the glass front, with two bands across the top and bottom, and a glass rectangle in the middle. Think bottom of the iMac here.

Nearly Edge to edge 4.7" 1080p ISP display, virtually same viewing area as the Galaxy S3.

2272 x 1280 display (slightly higher than 1080p), found on the droid DNA

58.5.5x103.5mm with 58x103mm viewing area

Dimensions:

123.8 x 63.75 x 7.6, a 5mm width increase, 3mm height, same depth

10% increase in battery size

2x processing power. 3x graphics power

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
They just need to pump out those incremental updates. Next iphone 5s/6 should get the following

- 13mp camera
- wifi ac
- more lte bands
- improved build quality
- gorilla glass 3
- better cpu/gpu

ios7 should get incremental updates too but not a complete overhaul
- expand cloud services
- better maps
- camera app should get more features
- better notification center
- eye candy

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It is folly to think iOS doesn't need some serious improvements by simply pointing to record sales. Great for Apple, not necessarily great for the end user.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
It is folly to think iOS doesn't need some serious improvements by simply pointing to record sales. Great for Apple, not necessarily great for the end user.

I could see that argument. Unfortunately, the OP used sales as the metric in this thread.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

You're welcome to your opinion, but record sales do kind of indicate that most people disagree with you. If a lot of people thought it needed serious improvements it would be unlikely to sell as well as it had.

Me, I don't think it *needs* much in the way of improvement but I will always welcome any improvements.

So you are telling me it has already out sold the iPhone 4S?

I mean that it has sold more than the iPhone 4S had by this point in its' lifetime; not that it has already sold more than the iPhone 4S in total. Sorry, I thought that was clear.

----------

- 13mp camera

No thanks! More megapixels in a tiny camera phone lens does not result in better photos, just bigger files.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
If we are talking about sales throughout the year, then apple needs to sell 153 models of phones, which will never happen.

If we are talking about how to make the consumer happy, they can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't completely mess up iOS.

If we are talking about how to make the geek happy, rework iOS to make it more functional and unify the UI.

Most users don't even use half of the stuff in iOS, they don't really need a ton of new features. Most people have no idea what skeuomorphism is. Geeks are the complete opposite.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

I see what he's saying and part of me agrees, but the other part wonders why they would release maps in the state it was in if they want to make the best products in the world.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I think Apple will release a lackluster iPhone 5S the most important release will be the iPhone 6. Mobile phones are evolving too quickly and if Apple doesn't respond they risk being disrupted by a competitor.

My vision for the 2014 iPhone 6:

Aluminium unibody that does away with the glass front, with two bands across the top and bottom, and a glass rectangle in the middle. Think bottom of the iMac here.

Nearly Edge to edge 4.7" 1080p ISP display, virtually same viewing area as the Galaxy S3.

2272 x 1280 display (slightly higher than 1080p), found on the droid DNA

58.5.5x103.5mm with 58x103mm viewing area

Dimensions:

123.8 x 63.75 x 7.6, a 5mm width increase, 3mm height, same depth

10% increase in battery size

2x processing power. 3x graphics power

I think it will be last luster as well. I just feel like Apple needs to update the software hardware is fine. For now.

----------

You're welcome to your opinion, but record sales do kind of indicate that most people disagree with you. If a lot of people thought it needed serious improvements it would be unlikely to sell as well as it had.

Me, I don't think it *needs* much in the way of improvement but I will always welcome any improvements.

I mean that it has sold more than the iPhone 4S had by this point in its' lifetime; not that it has already sold more than the iPhone 4S in total. Sorry, I thought that was clear.

----------

No thanks! More megapixels in a tiny camera phone lens does not result in better photos, just bigger files.

Sure the sales don't say they need to rework iOS, but that does not mean they should not. You know as will as I do people will buy anything apple sells. Just look at the ipad mini. Sales would go crazy if they rework iOS and made is user friendly and Greek friendly as well.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Sure the sales don't say they need to rework iOS, but that does not mean they should not. You know as will as I do people will buy anything apple sells. Just look at the ipad mini. Sales would go crazy if they rework iOS and made is user friendly and Greek friendly as well.

Look at it from Apple's point of view. Their slow approach to updates isn't affecting sales. If they can hold back some of their ideas for the next update without losing customers, why wouldnt they? Good business sense :p

Samsung and others were so hell bent on beating the iPhone that they threw all their eggs in one basket and went all out with the new technology. Eventually they will have to slow down and their customers will feel let down.

Meanwhile Apple will still be selling a heap with their slow and steady approach.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Why do people want a high MP count in a phone camera? That inevitably leads to image deterioration.

What are you actually doing that requires more resolution and makes you willing to trade off image quality?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Look at it from Apple's point of view. Their slow approach to updates isn't affecting sales. If they can hold back some of their ideas for the next update without losing customers, why wouldnt they? Good business sense :p

Samsung and others were so hell bent on beating the iPhone that they threw all their eggs in one basket and went all out with the new technology. Eventually they will have to slow down and their customers will feel let down.

Meanwhile Apple will still be selling a heap with their slow and steady approach.

All part of the problem. Like I. said, good for Apple. Not necessarily good for the end user.

----------

I think it will be last luster as well. I just feel like Apple needs to update the software hardware is fine. For now.

----------

Exactly. This speaks to a bigger problem. It's why I always say we really need to be honest about apples short comings. This is for the good. Not for the bad.

This is coming from an apple fan.

I have (and continue to) criticize Google and the nexus 4 for example.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012

I think you might be kind of wrong. I would not call it slow and steady. They have never revamped the OS. They are only adding features that should have been there from the start.

Like I said people will buy anything with the apple logo on it. For now that is. I think slowly people are starting to grow tired of the same old iOS. Just look at these post. At some point Apple is going to have to decide if they want to get left behind or move forward.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
All part of the problem. Like I. said, good for Apple. Not necessarily good for the end user.

There is no problem; they just had a record quarter. The only problem is for geeks, but iOS has never been for the enthusiast!

I think you might be kind of wrong. I would not call it slow and steady. They have never revamped the OS. They are only adding features that should have been there from the start.

Like I said people will buy anything with the apple logo on it. For now that is. I think slowly people are starting to grow tired of the same old iOS. Just look at these post. At some point Apple is going to have to decide if they want to get left behind or move forward.

People on forums, GEEKS, are getting tired of iOS in its' current state, but most people don't care. That's why Apple just had a record quarter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.