Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:08 PM   #1
iMouse
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to iMouse
QTKitServer (Quick Look Helper) Service Eating Bandwidth

I was experiencing some serious network latency issues from my iMac to a networked Mac mini and a FireWire 800 connected storage array tonight and discovered something very shocking.

It appears that if you have a window open containing a QuickTime-compatible video library, Lion wants to cache a portion (or possibly the whole file) for quick access using Quick Look. This becomes problematic when you have a large video library and even more problematic when the library is on a network share.

My LAN utilization skyrockets to 100% of its capability (100BaseT) and stays there for at least 45 minutes, possibly longer. I closed the window before I could see if it would stop or keep on cycling. As soon as the window is closed, the QTKitServer process and the network bandwidth drops to normal levels.

I recently switched from a Netgear gateway to a more powerful pfSense setup because the Netgear kept flaking out on me. With all this traffic, I now know why.

Is anyone else able to duplicate this problem with Snow Leopard? All you need is a folder full of video content on a network share, in a format that can be previewed with Quick Look (m4v, mp4, etc). Set the folder to list view and sit back and watch your network traffic in Activity Monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-09-27 at 7.49.05 PM.png
Views:	148
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	303890  
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:16 PM   #2
jim123321
macrumors newbie

Hey you didn't manage to come up with a way to get around this did you?
I have moved allot of my old videos etc to cloud storage and have my iMac mount its FTP connection as a drive at log in, when i open the folder all of my downward bandwidth gets eaten up for about 10 minutes usually.
I understand its going to use some bandwidth to download whats in the folders but even after the bandwidth is free again i can click on a folder and it will use huge amounts of bandwidth loading that folder up.
jim123321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion