Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Tivolito
macrumors newbie

Can i return my rMBP? So frustrated with these problems...

Hey

I bought my rMBP in july 2012, and ever since then it has been a lot of problems. So with the listed problems below; Can i return my computer?

Safari loads extremly slow, only loads like 10% of the page up in the search field. It takes around 20-30 seconds for it to start loading again after the 10% stop.

GIFs on internet glitches like ****. They lag, load slowly, and many times they flicker like crazy - going from first picture to second -> first picture to third etc. Makes it totally unwatchable.

www.twitch.tv only works 1 out of 10 times. When i enter a stream i want to watch, the stream is completly black. And while i'm on www.twitch.tv problem no. 1 always occur when i try to open another page.

Image retention. No explanation needed.

Movies lags. Picture/sound is out of sync. Video stutters, then speeds up like the computer took an ecstacy pill for 3 seconds.

Idle temperature is always 60+ degrees celcius. Dont know if this is standard though.

Swapping through for example facebook pictures if glitchy aswell. What happens here is that when i go the next picture in a gallery, a part of the previous picture blocks the new picture.

Text on some web pages is replaced with big white blocks. I guess it's when there's a flash text(?)

And last, but not least - this retarded EFI update that ****ed up the whole computer. Making it unusable unless i dont shut it down and do a SMC reset.
Tivolito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:23 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Have you upgraded to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion yet?

The temperature is within specs and normal. - Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

No, you cannot return the Mac, as you only have 14 days to return it, however, as you still have a warranty, you can have Apple have a look at it.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

No you wont be able to return it, just a bit outside the 14 days
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
thekev
macrumors 603

It's too late to return it, but if a problem is hardware related, you can obtain warranty service. I'm not aware of any exceptions ever made months into a purchase.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:05 AM   #5
Ricanlegend
macrumors 6502a

Go to the apple store and have them check it out
Ricanlegend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:10 AM   #6
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

Image retention? Crappy performance on even basic stuff? I think you got a defective laptop. You're well past your return period but the problems you bring up are big enough for the warranty to take care of it. AFAIK, the image retention issue is something apple will always replace
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:03 AM   #7
tcphoto
macrumors 6502a

What did Apple say when you first started seeing problems? Did you go to the Apple Store and speak to someone or call Apple Care? They are usually good about taking care of problems. After dealing with them for six months, they would likely have had it in a service center at least once and then replace it if the problem persists. They are unlikely to offer a refund after thirty days.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Quazimojo
macrumors regular

Yeah i do not have a single issue that is mentioned from the OP on my base RMBP .

Clearly you have some serious issues and services running in the background.

Fresh install is your best bet and if that does not fix it follow it up with a trip to the genius bar or a call to Apple.
Quazimojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:12 AM   #9
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivolito View Post
I bought my rMBP in july 2012, and ever since then it has been a lot of problems. So with the listed problems below; Can i return my computer?
Why do you need to return it? Just take it in and ask them to repair it.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:13 AM   #10
snaky69
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Hey

No you can't. You're completely out of your 14 day return policy. Whining on here won't change that.

Quote:
Safari loads extremly slow, only loads like 10% of the page up in the search field. It takes around 20-30 seconds for it to start loading again after the 10% stop.
Have you ever tried another browser? Similar behaviour would indicate that your internet connection is to blame, not the computer.
Quote:
GIFs on internet glitches like ****. They lag, load slowly, and many times they flicker like crazy - going from first picture to second -> first picture to third etc. Makes it totally unwatchable.
Safari is notorious for this, try another browser and see if it still does it.

Quote:
www.twitch.tv only works 1 out of 10 times. When i enter a stream i want to watch, the stream is completly black. And while i'm on www.twitch.tv problem no. 1 always occur when i try to open another page.
It really sounds like you have a problem with your internet settings.

Quote:
Image retention. No explanation needed.
It's an IPS screen, it can happen
Quote:
Movies lags. Picture/sound is out of sync. Video stutters, then speeds up like the computer took an ecstacy pill for 3 seconds.
Videos where, on the internet? DVD's? Be more specific.
Quote:
Idle temperature is always 60+ degrees celcius. Dont know if this is standard though.
Yes, that is standard.
Quote:
Swapping through for example facebook pictures if glitchy aswell. What happens here is that when i go the next picture in a gallery, a part of the previous picture blocks the new picture.
Safari has been having graphical artifacts, especially on the newer MBP's ever since version 6, apparently the webkit nightlys alleviate this, but I haven't tried them.
Quote:
Text on some web pages is replaced with big white blocks. I guess it's when there's a flash text(?)
That usually occurs when the website's creator used a character set your computer does not have.
Quote:
And last, but not least - this retarded EFI update that ****ed up the whole computer. Making it unusable unless i dont shut it down and do a SMC reset.
Can't say anything about that, but I'd try getting mountain lion on that computer as a fresh install.

From what I gather, you bought a $2000 laptop to browse the web, and your only true gripe with the computer has to do with your crappy internet connection or glitches in safari which could be fixed by switching to firefox or chrome. Am I getting this right?
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:20 AM   #11
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Since you seem quite dissatisfied, I'd give Apple a chance to make you happy.

Over the years I've had nothing but excellent experiences with customer service. Each time they've proven that they are very serious about taking care of the customer.

Remember they are staffed with humans who like us, are not perfect. You may need to escalate the case until you get to a decision maker.

It's just one of many reasons I remain very loyal to Apple.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro