Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Toggles in the Notification Center
Do something with the Notification Center especially on the iPad (it looks pathetic and is a wasted opportunity)
Tweak that useless Search Window on the left
(dare i say it, replace it with real time infos/widgets?)
Default Weather App for the iPad
QuickReply for SMS, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger etc.
Live Icons (Clock + Weather)
UNLIMITED Apps in one Folder (i dont need 4 folders called "Games")
Swipe Up to bring up the App Switcher instead of using the Home Button
Place the Apps wherever you want
"Open With ..." let me choose different browsers etc as default
Do something with the Lockscreen? it hasnt been changed since 2007. Especially the "slide to unlock" arrow button looks DATED. even more tho with the new design of the music player controls on 6.1

now that i think about it, all of those will be back tmrw :D
it would be nice to have it by default however, jailbreaking is getting tiresome (especially waiting for it)

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Push notification option!

From some research it appears that the push notification authorisation dialog for new apps lies when it says this can later be configured in settings. If you say no, you can't enable them without uninstalling, waiting 24 hours and reinstalling the all, at which point the dialog comes up on first open. The options in Settings > Notifications merely control how to display notifications if they are being pushed to your phone. They won't be if you didn't authorise at the start!!

Likewise if you enable them, you cannot stop them being pushed to your phone, though you can make them invisible. It is down to the app developer to either put an option in their app or to detect when they're not delivered and stop them for you.

This is at least what I've come to understand- can anyone confirm or deny for 6.1?

I would love to see a proper enable/disable toggle in iOS 7. Only when enabled will you then get the display options..

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'd like to see Apple branch out a bit, if just to get the iTunes name in people's minds. I'd like to see iTunes (if only just the music & movies) integrated with the new PS4 and Xbox 720 when they launch. But I know it's not going to happen. I'd like to see an iTunes app on Android so Android users can purchase music. Why Apple gives these sales away to Google is beyond me.

delphus

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Brazil
I would love to have an username option to iPad. I know the device was designed to be personal but when you need to share it, it concerns me that people can read your personal life so easily just 5 min using your device for a quick Internet browse.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
The personal and work profile option like on the BlackBerry 10 would be a great addition.

Also, I doubt Apple will allow us to remove apps, so I hope they at least reduce the number of stock apps. They should kill off Compass and integrate the Weather and Stock apps into Notification Centre (just click the existing weather forecast and more details will slide out).

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
really minor but i wish the dialog when turning on personal hotspot when wifi is off gave you more choice. i never use bluetooth and it annoys me having to turn it on along with wifi. perhaps a dialog with an on/off toggle for wifi and for bluetooth. both on by default or perhaps remembering your last choice. with a disabled toggle set to on for USB.

and a keep alive option for the hotspot, its a pain when it goes off when you don't use it for 1 min!

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Probably because they'd rather have them buy an iPhone. :)

The people that want an iPhone will buy an iPhone. They can't help that other people will buy and Android so why not make it available on their platform? You might as well said Apple should keep iTunes on the Mac instead of bringing it to Windows, so that people will buy Macs. :rolleyes:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I'd like to see Apple branch out a bit, if just to get the iTunes name in people's minds. I'd like to see iTunes (if only just the music & movies) integrated with the new PS4 and Xbox 720 when they launch. But I know it's not going to happen. I'd like to see an iTunes app on Android so Android users can purchase music. Why Apple gives these sales away to Google is beyond me.

The profits Apple makes from iTunes are extremely modest compared to their hardware sales. The former pretty much exists just to encourage people to buy into the latter.

----------

The people that want an iPhone will buy an iPhone. They can't help that other people will buy and Android so why not make it available on their platform? You might as well said Apple should keep iTunes on the Mac instead of bringing it to Windows, so that people will buy Macs. :rolleyes:

iTunes for Windows exists to provide service to Apple's iPod and iOS lines.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
The personal and work profile option like on the BlackBerry 10 would be a great addition.

Also, I doubt Apple will allow us to remove apps, so I hope they at least reduce the number of stock apps. They should kill off Compass and integrate the Weather and Stock apps into Notification Centre (just click the existing weather forecast and more details will slide out).

Like this.

ScreenShot2013-02-21at111556PM_zps92215a79.png

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I'm curious to know how many people have no interest in an iPhone but want to use iTunes. I suppose there are people who used iPods in the past and now have an Android phone. But is it that many? When the iPod came out the dominant PC platform was Windows. Most likely it always will be. Doing iTunes for Windows is a no brainer. I'm not convinced Android is Windows yet.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Just spit balling:
On/Off toggles in the notification bar for common scenarios, such as wi-fi and bluetooth
Widgets screen, incorporated in the notification bar.
Full Siri widget api for all apps (yeah I'm a developer).
Shared notification system between ALL iOS devices (so if I get a call on my iPhone, my iPad will notify me, and allow me to answer it there, simply enabling the speakerphone)
Ability to update icon of an app
Run 2 apps on the same screen (they could incorporate a Mini API view for apps to take on)
The ability to replace any stock app with a 3rd party app option (as a developer I could see them standardizing the information feed you must provide to the main program). They've integrated some of this into Siri with maps and public transport.
Time aware wallpaper (your wallpaper changes with the day).

If you notice, I tried to keep the core main screen the same, as the consistency of iOS has helped it's learning curve. The new changes trickle around the edges.

Forgot to add a notification where if you're not holding your phone correctly.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'm curious to know how many people have no interest in an iPhone but want to use iTunes. I suppose there are people who used iPods in the past and now have an Android phone. But is it that many? When the iPod came out the dominant PC platform was Windows. Most likely it always will be. Doing iTunes for Windows is a no brainer. I'm not convinced Android is Windows yet.

Perhaps. I already have a blu-ray player, cable box on my main TV. I have a PS3 and cable box on my 2nd TV. I shouldn't have to buy an Apple TV to access my music and movies from iTunes. They really out to think about opening up their platform a bit.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Many people are saying they'd like to have geo-aware locking of the phone. So as to not have to unlock the phone with a pin code when at home. I think it would be even simpler to do that you set your home wifi network and whenever your iPhone is connected to it the pin code is disabled. I realize that there are other places other than at home where a pin code isn't necessary but this would already be a good start, without killing the battery life with location-services always tracking your location for the pin code.

Just a thought,
Pietro

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
a completely new UI for absolutely everything, without skeuomorphism

I doubt we will get a new UI. I can see the skeuomorphism going away, but the UI I think is here to stay for at least one more generation.

I would be happy on the iPad to be able to have dual windows open.

I would also like to be able to customize my screens a little more. That is the only reason I really jailbreak anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.